• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Legal Pokemon ROM Hacking?

Ivy Newton

kg*m/s^2
Pronoun
she
So... I really really really want to make a ROM hack, but I have no idea how to get started ^.^;;
And I'm a total stickler for rules, so I really want to do it entirely legally if possible.

Just point me to a legitimate and safe download of VisualBoyAdvance or some other such program, and what I need to do to get an editable ROM legally.
And some good scripting tutorials, if possible.

Please and thank you?

I probably sound like a total idiot, but ah well.

Owning a ROM is not legal. It is not legal even if you own a copy of the game. The act of downloading for free, as opposed to actually purchasing the game, is illegal. You could do it legally if you purchased a device to dump your own cartridge, but that's an excessive amount of time and effort and if you really want to learn to hack then it's not worth it do to it legally.

However, the act of hacking the ROM and editing and tampering with the data is absolutely legal, as long as you don't sell it. You can provide it for others via an ips patch, which requires them to do the evil deed of downloading their own rom on which they'll apply the patch.

...But, really. Legality and that kind of hodgepodge doesn't matter really. Although, if you ask me, I'd advise you to make a game in RMXP instead of hacking-- it's less effort, and if you don't pirate RMXP (although you probably will; the real thing costs an insane amount of money) it's totally legal. But. Um. Suck it up; this is the internet, some smarmy lawyer will find something wrong with everything you do, and nobody's gonna care if you just download one game for the purposes of hacking.

MOD EDIT: I'M NOT SURE IF THERE'S STILL A THING AGAINST THIS BUT IT IS, IN GENERAL, A BAD PLAN TO POST THIS STUFF WHERE EVERYONE CAN EASILY GET IT. PM THE GUY INSTEAD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask for people to PM you download links, Mumei. I sent you and Aethelstan the contents of his post, but er.

Ah, yes. I made a really good post about this on another forum, and I think it mostly applies here. ^_^
---
me on another forum said:
First off, you'll have to get your hands on a ROM of a Pokémon game. However, I cannot tell you where to find one, nor can I upload one to this site, so, I can only say that you should Google it.

Next, you'll need to probably get VBA (Visual Boy Advance). It's a computer emulator; basically, it allows you to play the game of whatever ROM you got on the computer. It's mostly used for playing through another hack, or testing your own hack for bugs, although it has several more advanced functions that you will probably learn how to use eventually.

Even though you have both VBA and the proper ROM, you'll be unable to play the hacks that everyone has already released.. because they are in IPS format, not .gba, which the VBA uses to play and the ROM is. You'll need to get a tool called Lunar IPS, which both patches the ROM that you have (be sure to make a copy of it beforehand, unless you want to re-download the ROM) and it can make a patch of your hack. The latter part is especially effective if you want to display your own hack to the community.

Once you understand the workings of a ROM, and how to use the VBA to play through a hack, you can move on to actually hacking. The first step that most people take in this process is mapping, or creating the environments that you play through. If you went through a couple hacks and took a few glances, you'd have noticed how the environment looks way different from the regular trees and such that you'd find in the normal ROM. Also, they have different areas; places that have never been in an actual game. Both of these things are achieved through a unique tool, called AdvanceMap (A-Map for short.)

A-Map is probably one of the most useful tools used for hacking, and it is definitely a necessity when creating a hack. There are a few tutorials on how to work A-Map, although it is quite simple to figure out. However, one of the biggest parts of A-Map is the block editing/tile insertion section, which usually requires a tutorial of its own. That's the button that looks like a little puzzle piece in the A-Map interface; it's the tool that allows you to change what the trees look like, what signs you use, etc. In general, it changes a majority of the graphical aspect of the hack on its lonesome, and it is incredibly important for you to understand how to work that.

After messing around in A-Map for a while, most people move on to learn how to script. Actually, there seems to be a lack of scripting know-how in the recent hackers.. however, this is the next logical step. Unlike map editors, where the primary one used is AdvanceMap (I don't believe EliteMap is receiving any more adjustments, so AdvanceMap is the top map editor), there are quite a few scripting editors. The most popular two are PokéScript (by Irish Witch, I believe) and eXtreme Script Editor (often referred to as XSE, by HackMew). XSE has a more user-friendly structure, and is becoming the more popular script editor; however, PokéScript still has a lot of people using it. After selecting which script editor you want, you'll need to look at a good scripting tutorial, as scripting is extremely difficult to simply learn on your own. I learned how to script off of thethethethe's scripting tutorial, although diegoisawesome has made a tutorial based off of thex4's for XSE. Both are well-informing, and will start you off on your scripting path very quickly.

There are not many tools left to go over after those two most important ones; it all depends on what you want for your hack. Hacked unLZ.gba allows you to insert new sprites into the game, although you'll probably have to find a tutorial or two on how to work that. Free Space Finder is another useful tool, finding free space (obviously) for you to use when you need to insert something. A-Trainer and PET are two trainer editors; they edit the Pokémon that a trainer has. However, you'll need to remember which trainer is in which place, as they don't tell you. Sappy and mid2agb are music inserting tools, which you must get off of Magnius' music tutorial. They are very frail tools, however, so it might be impossible to get them to work on your computer. Overworld Editor Rebirth allows you to edit the Overworlds (OWs) of the player and NPCs, which is useful if you plan on inserting new player sprites, etc. The last tool which stands out is YAPE (Yet Another Pokémon Editor). It's a brilliant editing tool that allows you to edit all of the Pokémon's movesets, Pokédex data, etc. It's especially useful if you are inserting fake Pokémon (often called fakemon). Also, when working with sprites in general, MS Paint is another useful tool that most of you probably already have.

Now, once you have all of the tools and make decent progress on your hack, you'll want to post it up here (or not. If you don't want to, you can skip the next few paragraphs). You need to have a general idea for what the storyline is, and a good introduction. Then, you should probably post your ideas into the Scrapbox section, where people can disect your ideas, and give you their opinions. To take the next step from there, you need to get screenshots.

To get those, you need to run your hack in VBA, and begin playing it. At any time that you want to take a screenshot, click File > Screen Capture. There's also a shortcut key (I think it's F11) that allows you to take the screenshot. Then, you should post them on to your thread, and make sure that your thread fits the rules for the Progressing Hacks section. After that, you can PM a moderator of the Emulation section and ask for it to be moved.

Once you're in the Progressing Hacks, you'll probably want to start getting a small team together (unless you want to work on it by yourself). I say small, because it's both difficult to work with a large team (6+ members) and you'll lose control of the ROM quickly (i.e. you won't know who's got it, and who should have what done, etc.). It's best to have 2-3 people working on a hack, although you can certainly have more people or work on it by yourself.

After you've got some people that are willing to work on it with you, you'll want to work on a release date, or a beta. You can take some videos with VisualBoyAdvance (Tools > Record > Start AVI Recording [be sure you click AVI, not Movie, as Movie makes a movie that is only viewable in VBA]). If you're going to upload it to YouTube, you have to edit it in Windows Movie Maker and save it as a .mov file, as YouTube doesn't take .avi files. (At least, it doesn't for me.)

Now, this beta should be perfect. You should have everything that you want done right, as some people view the beta as a portion of what you'll give them as a whole. If it's a half-assed beta, then it's going to end up a half-assed hack.

Once you're ready, you should be able to release the beta as an IPS file (remember, you can use Lunar IPS to create this), and move on to Hacks Showcase, where a lot of good hacks are. Be proud that you made it this far, and keep hacking until you get done!

I think I covered most everything, but if not, I'll come back and edit this.
---

It's pretty long, though. Some of it might not make the best of sense here (like the Progressing Hacks stuff; this was written mostly for another forum that has different subsections than this, so I wrote it about that. :P)

Seriously, though, if you're looking for hacking tools and tutorials, there is no better place than here. I am allowed to link to other forums, right? Well, if not, phooey. :/

Anyways, feel free to ask me if you have any questions. I know a lot about this topic. :D

No. No, they are not actually legal if you own the game. You can claim that it's for backup purposes but it's ... not really the case.

Back
Top Bottom