• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Religion

What is your religion? (Please don't abuse the multiple choice feature)

• Atheism or agnosticism

Votes: 85 72.6%
  • Christianity or Judaism

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • Islam

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Sikhism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paganism/neo-paganism

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other (please elaborate)

Votes: 10 8.5%

• Total voters
Christian. And I believe that religion is more tradition that faith. Being Christian has less to do with believing that the son of God died for our sins than with celebrating Christmas. Likewise for all other religions.

So, I'd say anyone who exclusively celebrates Christmas and Easter and all of them Christian holidays is indeed Christian :D

And yeah, my grasp of other religions isn't the greatest...

I always dislike that "atheism" is included rather than "no religious beliefs" but whatevs, can't please everyone.

I'm an atheist. I've never been anything other than an atheist, and aside from at school no religious beliefs were ever presented to me.

i'm some sort of christian...

raised catholic but i have so many problems with it that i have excommunicated myself

Atheist. Also, Judaism is markedly different from Christianity and should be separate on the list. Also, Jewish religion differs from Jewish culture (i.e. I know people that consider themselves Jewish by ethnicity but are not religious).

I was raised Christian by non-denominational mom (really, she was too lazy to stick to one denomination more than anything). My dad was an atheist, but he stayed out of our religious upbringing and wanted me and my brother to make our own decisions about religion. I was Christian for a long time, but I was never a very strong believer. After toying with a few other beliefs (Wicca and Buddhism), I eventually became a hard atheist, and I'm very happy with that.

Atheist. Also, Judaism is markedly different from Christianity and should be separate on the list. Also, Jewish religion differs from Jewish culture (i.e. I know people that consider themselves Jewish by ethnicity but are not religious).

Ahhh sorry, I really know absolutely nothing about Judaism. But I believe they are... somewhat connected or something so I put them together. :(

Agnostic, I guess? And I wasn't raised as anything. My parents wanted my sister and I to have the freedom of deciding.

i actually really couldn't care less, so... :x

Ahhh sorry, I really know absolutely nothing about Judaism. But I believe they are... somewhat connected or something so I put them together. :(

Christianity is a descendant of Judaism - they share part of their holy books (most of the Old Testament is shared by both although I believe that the stories aren't written in exactly the same way...). You can barely classify them as being the same as the nature of their religion is very different: Christianity has core moral codes - Judaism doesn't.

Jews are not allowed to utter the name of God (often writing it as G-d or G!d) instead).

A lot more things are different.

But I don't really expect anybody to study that kind of stuff, so don't take it personally.

can we lump judaism, christianity, and islam all into "abrahamic religions"? it's not like they're significantly different from each other. except, well, culturally?

can we lump judaism, christianity, and islam all into "abrahamic religions"? it's not like they're significantly different from each other. except, well, culturally?

No.
You'd have every orthodox member of each of them on your heels trying to kill you. Because while the book of faith is relatively the same, the practice is radically different. When it's existent, anyway.

Jews are not allowed to utter the name of God (often writing it as G-d or G!d) instead).

...my religious studies exam was split up into different courses, all on the same exam, so Judaism would be right under Christianity even though we're meant to ignore it. Judaism wasn't mentioned, only 'G-d' and I seriously thought this was some kind of futuristic deity pronounced 'Jee-dee'. >_>

Which kind of proves just how shittily we're taught about this kind of stuff at school.

sreservoir: I would have used Abrahamic religions, but I decided to split most of them for the reason Esque said. And before that I was going to just put monotheism, but I supposed that's kind of vague and might offend someone easily offended.

Judaism also doesn't believe that Jesus was the Messiah.

No, since this is obviously a New Testament tenet - and Judaism only has like the first five books of the Old Testament. So that is implied, of course. But yes, that is a great, great difference with Christianity who has Jesus as a central character.

I agree, we should split all the Abrahamic religions because the core basis, even though they share a historical origin, their central ideas are very different. Noting the historical similarities is fun, though. Makes you see humans are diverse in their imagination but not their nature.

Cirrus - I wasn't taught the God thing at school either, I believe. Learnt it from reading about gods and mythology myself. Do not rely on formal, institutional education to teach you everything. It is very good at making you learn what they want you to learn. Curiosity is good.

Voted other, 'cause I'm a Naytheist.
I believe a deity (deities?) exist, but I think he's a cock.
When I die, the first thing I want to do is plant my foot into his omnidimensional ball sacks.

Well judging by the above post, I spent 2-3 years as a Naytheist. But then I went to full Atheism.

And is it just me, or is the whole 'Freedom of Religion' thing in the United States becoming more and more of a 'Freedom of Christianity' thing?

This is what I get from that rule anymore:​
'Sure you can have whatever religion you want but unless you're Christian you're a Freak of Nature.'

Well, according to my fundamentalist parents, "it's freedom OF religion not freedom FROM religion olololololo"

That was actually in response to the whole "references to god in pledge/on money/etc" debate but whatever.

Edit: I love the poll results so far, hahahaha.

Speaking of, you know what I really hate? People who say "Well having 'Under God' plastered on everything is a-okay because 'God' can mean any God, so it covers all religions lol!" Uuh, no it doesn't. What about polytheistic religions? Or...*gasp* people who don't have a God in the first place. It really is a BS argument, yet I hear it everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom