• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2012

I-I think I give up.

I tried to write yesterday. I sat in front of my desktop for a an entire half hour. Staring. Just. Staring.

Then I stood up, turned off my monitor, and walked away.

I have SO MUCH in my head. A great story and I just... sonofamonkeywrenchmatingfig.

Aww, come on! There must be something you can do to get the writing out. Maybe an outline or something for the next scene you want to work on? When I was stuck on that fight scene earlier I got frustrated because I didn't understand why it wasn't working—I normally like writing pokémon battles, which is essentially what it was, but it wasn't happening and I had like two false starts. But then I sat down and did a quick summary of the major things that needed to happen, just notes about this guy does this attack and then that guy fumbles that thing, and pasted it into my story. Then I expanded on that line by line with actual prose (of debatable quality but shh NaNo), deleting the next line of outline as I came to it and replacing it with however many paragraphs of writing. It kept me focused while still leaving a little room to be flexible about it, and I ended up getting two days out of just the one scene. Which is too long, but I can cut it down later so who cares!

Clocking in at about 27000 tonight, which is actually a little bit ahead of schedule, even, haha. Wrote about 1000 words in each story today; the short story collection is currently a little over 10K and the novel is over 16K as they stand now. I think I'm still in the mood for a little more writing, too, so I think I'll go ahead and get a head start on tomorrow's count! yay~

Thank youuu~ C:
I guess it's something like "shred/strip of fire" in English?
I just kind of smacked 'fire' and 'shred' together because it seemed fitting. Hooray for compound words :D

this is maybe a silly or inappropriate question, but given how different Finnish is compared to English in terms of being so damn agglutinative, does it affect how you're approaching 50,000 words?

this is maybe a silly or inappropriate question, but given how different Finnish is compared to English in terms of being so damn agglutinative, does it affect how you're approaching 50,000 words?
Not inappropriate at all!
I suppose I basically just have to write 'more' than you English-speaking people, since I can say something like 'I wonder if I should write?" with just one word: "Kirjoittaisinkohan?"
I guess one could also say "Pitäisiköhän minun kirjoittaa?" which is actually kind of closer to the English version (depending on how you interpret it) but it's still only half the length of it, word-wise. So, everyone writing in English can say a lot less but still get more words out of it, while us Finns have to write like we really mean it :P

Obviously, I can just stuff sentences full of adjectives and unnecessary filler words, or just find ways of saying things in a different way. Good thing my main character swears a lot, wordcount++ :D

Oh my god, for the first time ever, I've just won NaNoWriMo! So happy right now - and I've still got another two thousand words at least to write!

It's a little late but I've decided to join in and make a novel! :D
And I'm thinking dragons...

I-I think I give up.

I tried to write yesterday. I sat in front of my desktop for a an entire half hour. Staring. Just. Staring.

Then I stood up, turned off my monitor, and walked away.

I have SO MUCH in my head. A great story and I just... sonofamonkeywrenchmatingfig.

Maybe your thinking too hard...

I need to write five thousand words today to catch up. Will I be able to do it? Yes, probably. Will it be fueled by sweat, caffeine, and tears? Ohhh yeah.
Am I glad that I won't have to publish this chapter until after NaNo is over, so I can go back and edit it proper? You bet your sweet bippy.

Ah, finally I managed to write those painful words to fill up today's wordcount. Today definitely tried its best to be a horrible, stereotypical Monday, but I survived!

Out of curiosity, what's happening in your stories at the moment?

In my novel, the main character's gone missing between the two worlds and the secondary MC and one sidecharacter are visiting the missing one's friend, hoping that they'd find some answers there. All they get are some surprising bits of info, a small fight between sidecharacter and friendperson, plus the friendperson reveals how he met the main character (saved him from drowning).
Next up: more mostly pointless jumping from one world to another.

Haha ok XD
Also... how do I count 50,000 words?!?

Most writing programs have a word count function... or you could you know, count them.

With ten days left, you do realize you'd need to write 5K a day in order to finish, right?

It's possible, I've done more than 5K in a day, but to do that for ten days straight might be tough. Good luck with that.

Most writing programs have a word count function... or you could you know, count them.

With ten days left, you do realize you'd need to write 5K a day in order to finish, right?

It's possible, I've done more than 5K in a day, but to do that for ten days straight might be tough. Good luck with that.

Thanks I need it XD
I have notepad and wordpad, I can't find anything to count the words.

@ Mumzy: IIRC, Notepad and Wordpad don't have a word count system, but Word does.

If you want something lightweight and distraction-free that can display your wordcount, I definitely recommend Dark Room. It's what I use and it works really well for me. It has a statistics option that shows your wordcount and other potentially useful stuff.
I think it launches in fullscreen the first time you open it, but you can change it in the preferences if you'd rather have it run in windowed mode (F11 or esc take you out of fullscreen mode).

unrelated bs edit:
wow this is my 400th post
well at least it's a helpful one

Last edited:
@ Mumzy: IIRC, Notepad and Wordpad don't have a word count system, but Word does.

If you want something lightweight and distraction-free that can display your wordcount, I definitely recommend Dark Room. It's what I use and it works really well for me. It has a statistics option that shows your wordcount and other potentially useful stuff.
I think it launches in fullscreen the first time you open it, but you can change it in the preferences if you'd rather have it run in windowed mode (F11 or esc take you out of fullscreen mode).

Dark Room, huh? I have something similar, an app on Chrome called Writer. It plays a typewriter sound every time you hit a key, too, it's so relaxing.

Oh my god, for the first time ever, I've just won NaNoWriMo! So happy right now - and I've still got another two thousand words at least to write!

Aaand, despite previous predictions, I've just finished the whole novel. I feel fantastic.

Congratulations Lorem Ipsum!! That is really awesome! =D

I'm really far behind... I haven't written in a long while and I don't foresee much extra time coming up - in the next couple of days, I feel like my spare time should be put into the two tests I have coming up... fortunately, there are still a few days in November after the tests are done, but I don't know if I can catch up in that short amount of time, so I really need to find time now!

I've kind of gotten to an awkward point, too. My story so far is kind of a patchwork of old pieces and new pieces, and I suddenly realized that I think the patchwork is all in place - I think I have a very rough draft of my story, at least the first book of it. I'm feeling that my next step is to revise and polish this first draft so it looks more like an actual story rather than a collection of paragraphs, so that's not really writing anymore.

Also, I've never really successfully revised a story from start to finish... every time I revise, it ends up as a "cut this piece, put it here, take that piece out, add this in, make a note to change this," which I suppose is what revision is, but I'm having issues just being bold and changing the words that I've already written. Most of my revisions have just been moving things around. I have to actually change what I wrote! Ahh.

Back
Top Bottom