• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Help on picking a graphics tablet.

mewtini

sorry guys, don’t lose
Pronoun
she/her
So, it's almost Mewtini's birthday, and she wants to buy herself a tablet.

I'm not looking to spend much more than about $65-70. So far, I've only really been looking at Wacom tablets (because they're the most compatible with Linux), and so have this list:

-Wacom Graphire 4
-Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch (found this at like $60 because REFURB)
-Considering a VisTablet, but.
-Wacom Bamboo Splash

So, size doesn't matter to me (the Graphire is only 4x5!) but compatibility does. I can virtualize Windows 7, and have Wine, but would rather not, because I want to see my beautiful art constantly on my Linux system. (Although there is Dropbox or whatever... hm.)

Help?

EDIT: Also what would be a good paint program? GIMP is not my friend, no Photoshop ( >:( ). I've checked out MyPaint, but alternatives are nice!

Last edited:
Hm, okay. I was actually leaning torwards the Pen and Touch, because refurb and also touch! :D

I don't know how much my tablet was (i'd have to ask Adriane) but I got a Wacom Bamboo Capture as a gift and it's very simple, efficient and nice, I'd recommend it.

I had a wacom graphire and I found it pretty lackluster, but that'd be at least 7+ years ago now. I have a 2007 bamboo fun and it's pretty nice I guess; it's a good beginner's tablet. I've heard good things about monoprice tablets, but I've never used one and I don't know how it'll run on linux. Size really isn't that important; you pretty much just need space enough to draw comfortably and you'll be set. Bamboo tablets tend to be pretty durable, too, so if you're going to be moving around a lot, they'll probably suit you well. the 2007 Fun I have is pretty great and it came with a mouse that works basically as good as any other mouse (and it also keeps the tablet clean). The only real problem I've had with wacom stuff is that occasionally the drivers bug out and you have to reinstall them; thankfully they're pretty easy to get hold of anyway.

if you're willing to do a bit of stealing, SAI is pretty good, but I dunno if it always runs on linux. Kiru seems to have gotten it working at least! You can also get the entire adobe cs2 set (photoshop, illustrator, etc.) for free here still. MyPaint works really well with a tablet and it's good for sketching, but I find that it's pretty limited for most other things. If you really just want to use MyPaint, I find that Paint.NET is a good companion tool because it's pretty easy for general image editing things (cropping/colour balance/filters/exporting) but it does kinda suck and you might as well use photoshop really.

Old Version has lots of ... old versions of graphics programs that you can download for free; how many of them will run on linux I don't know.

I found this Wacom Bamboo CTL460 for only $40 on eBay (free shipping) but it ends at 2AM my time and mom was like "No one will be awake. >:("

;-;

uv: I've heard that the Graphire 4 is really cool! Although it's more expensive than other tablets that I'd rather have, so. I did see Paint Tool SAI on Silver Islands, but I can get it to work without paying..? I'll definitely check out the Adobe CS2 set, thanks a lot.

My mom recovered an ancient Adobe Photoshop (version 7.0), released in '02... one of her friends (who got it from CalTech, where he went for college) gave it to her. But yay CS2. \o/

I do like the look of Wacom Bamboo CTL460 tablets, though, and sadly aethestics are a thing that have a 25% stake in what I want.

I also found a Wacom Intuos (spelling?) which, while much more professional, doesn't look super sleek and pretty like the CTL460.

Last edited:
I have a Wacom Bamboo Fun and it works great, Wacom Bamboo in general I've had good experiences with.

As for drawing programs, I like SAI, but that costs money... FireAlpaca is another freeware program, I haven't tried it myself but I've heard good things from friends! You might want to check that out. MyPaint is ok, with tons of fun brushes, but it's a bit limited (and can't really do anything related to cutting out/moving/resizing ect. part of image...)

I did see Paint Tool SAI on Silver Islands, but I can get it to work without paying..?

basically every stolen version I've seen of SAI has been a cracked version that you can just execute from a folder, you don't even have to install it.

Do you say you don't care about size because you have experience using tablets of varying sizes? Because if not, size really really matters. Using a smaller-sized tablet just sucks; it's like drawing on a sticky note. They're really small. And using a larger-one can be very difficult because they're just cumbersome and get in your way and are heavy. You need one whose drawing area is around that of an actual piece of paper.

Of course you might have a preference for one over the other, but if you don't have experience with them, I'd say definitely better safe than sorry and go for a good medium-sized tablet.

As for drawing programs, I've never used sai because they don't work on macs, but photoshop is very easy to get. Idk if I can link the stuff so I'll just pm you.

uv: ! Okay. Google time, then?
pathos: I have used tablets of different sizes, yes... I was actually going for a smaller one, so.

I've actually just won that tablet I wanted off ebay, I stayed up late for it... it's about 4x5, I think, so.

Thanks a lot, you guys!

I know about GIMP, but I never understood it ; ;

And Photoshop, but no money, so I'll probably take pathos' links.

Do you say you don't care about size because you have experience using tablets of varying sizes? Because if not, size really really matters. Using a smaller-sized tablet just sucks; it's like drawing on a sticky note. They're really small. And using a larger-one can be very difficult because they're just cumbersome and get in your way and are heavy. You need one whose drawing area is around that of an actual piece of paper.
I can agree with this - my first tablet was a tiny one, it was really difficult to use and pretty much turned me off tablets for years afterwards (big mistake...) So I would recommend against getting a too small one. Unless you are good at using small ones I guess.

Hm! Well, the tablet is said and done, so now it's just GRAPHICS PROGRAM time.

Is Photoshop better than Paint Tool SAI?

Which is more userfriendly?

Which is more powerful?

Sai was made specifically for art, and it has a bunch of settings that are pretty easy to play with. I personally feel like Sai's more user-friendly, and the interface is definitely simpler/less cluttered.

Photoshop has more options for editing and tweaking colours, and a lot of other tools in general. It's more versatile so if you wanna do things other than just draw, here you go.

You can still *~draw~* in both, and no matter which you choose you'll have to spend a bit of time getting used to the interface, etc etc etc. I like Sai more but I suggest trying both and seeing what you like? try both try both

I'd recommend trying both, too, since Photoshop is really powerful and has a whole bunch of useful tools that SAI doesn't have, and SAI has some nifty options PS lacks.
SAI is really good for artsy painting, as it's easier for blending colours and generally making smoother stuff with less effort.
Photoshop is your best friend when you really need to be 'in control' of what you're doing (plus, PS has ALL the filters and adjustment layers and ahh).

Personally I prefer smaller tablets, so if you've tried different sizes and decided on a small one, I'd say you have no problem!
I have the tiniest and cheapest Wacom Bamboo tablet, and I've used it for years with no problems. I've tried really big ones too (Wacom Intuos tablets at school) but I would never trade this thing for one of those because they're just too big. Not having to wave my hand around on a pointlessly vast surface is a big bonus. Besides, size doesn't really matter, it's how you use it ;D

Good luck with your venture into the magical world of tablets and graphics programs! Feel free to ask me if you have any Photoshop-related questions.

Well, I'm trying to install CS2 Photoshop with Wine (Linux) and it won't work, and neither will a cracked version of SAI... so, um.

Maybe I'll virtualize Win7 and make it my designated art thing? Hm.

If I do decide on Ps, it would be the CS2 one because free.

But I don't want to do much outside of painting, so SAI may be best...

Do you say you don't care about size because you have experience using tablets of varying sizes? Because if not, size really really matters. Using a smaller-sized tablet just sucks; it's like drawing on a sticky note. They're really small.

ultraviolet said:
Size really isn't that important; you pretty much just need space enough to draw comfortably and you'll be set.
idk I just see a lot of people buying tablets for the first time getting the biggest one possible!!1! because they feel like they have to. Obviously drawing on a sticky note =/= drawing comfortably...? o.o

edit: ps and SAI aren't really better or worse than each other; they're kind of built for different things. I like SAI because it's pretty much just made for art and I like how easy it is to adjust brushes etc. You can use photoshop for a bunch of other stuff because that's what it's built for, and it can be useful for that. I mean I don't see why you couldn't just use both; cs2 is free, and if you're gonna get SAI anyway... might as well play around with them both and experiment!

edit edit: oh yeah and moved to artist's lounge because i thought that's where it was anyway. :B

Last edited:
Yeah, I'll get both SAI and CS2 and see. Wine is being a butt, though, and I may resort to virtualizing Win7/XP and using that for art. :P

ultraviolet said:
Obviously drawing on a sticky note =/= drawing comfortably...? o.o

Yeah, I've used a) a really really small 3x4 or something and b) a 12x9 tablet. I liked the 3x4, and was only slightly cramped...

Hence, the 5x4 tablet I got seems like it'll be perfect.

Back
Top Bottom