• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

G/S/C Murkrow can Talk

Murkrow

Says "also" and "or something" a lot
Pronoun
he
Not me, the Pokémon.

I noticed this today (sorry if it's a bit big):
talk.gif

I remember when I first played through Silver, I assumed that it had a piece of paper stuck to it or something, but now...

I'm just wondering a few things. The most obvious being how the hell it talks. Although other things have crossed my mind. Why does it tell you the secret password as opposed to anything else in the world? Why is it even there? Don't Rockets usually only keep Pokémon there for a purpose, like for fighting or powering machines?

Here's my theory. (Yes, I probably wouldn't be making this thread if it weren't a Murkrow that spoke, so don't bother pointing that out.)

Well, I think it's there because it's either a pet to the Rocket Executive, or it isn't strong enough to battle. The former is more likely in my opinion; why would he keep it there if it weren't fit for battling? Rockets don't keep Pokémon around if they don't have a purpose, and being there to battle, but not being able to do so really gives it no purpose. Being a pet does have some purpose at least.
I think it can talk in the same way as a parrot, it just imitates sounds it hears. Since Chatot wasn't around in these days, they had to use another Pokémon. Murkrow was a good choice because it's an evil-y Rocket-y kind of Pokémon as well. If it is indeed a pet, then it would spend time out of a Pokéball and have more of a chance to hear human speech and try to copy it.
What I don't really understand is why is says the password in the first place. I know it's ridiculous to think it can actually speak English, it's probably just learned a few phrases. The first idea that came to my head is that it was kept there just in case they forgot the password. That's crazy though, because it's supposed to be really secret, and there are much more reliable ways to remember passwords (like on that computer right there). The Murkrow probably just overheard the Rocket Executive telling someone what the password was. But that still doesn't explain why it decides to say that instead of anything else it might have heard. It either never learned to say anything else, that was the latest thing it heard, or (my personal favourite) it could sense that Rockets = bad, Player = good, and it wanted to be good natured 'krow so it said something that it thought to be important. Yes, that last one is a bit crazy, but animals are pretty good at picking these things up, so you never know.

Either that or it's a robot. XD

The whole situation is a bit ridiculous to me. As I've already said, there's a computer right there. It would make more sense to have that have the password there.

It's a genetically mutated Murkrow that can talk and hates the rockets for mutating it, so it tells random people the password~ I don't know.

Birds in real life (parrots are especially well known for this, but there's others that can do it too) have enough of a vocal range to make the sounds required to speak human languages. Usually, this just means they pick up random words from conversations that go on around them without knowing what those words mean, but there have been a few that were actually taught words (as in, what the words actually mean, not just how to say them) and could communicate with humans to some degree.

As for "how can the Murkrow speak English," that's easy. The original trainer taught the Murkrow how to speak English. But then, some Team Rocket thugs stole the Murkrow's Poké Ball from the original trainer, as Team Rocket thugs tend to do. And eventually the Murkrow overheard someone saying the password, thought "Hey, those Team Rocket guys suck, let's give away their secrets!" and decided to tell you about it.

Of course, it could have just overheard one of the executives saying the password and repeated it, but without knowing what the words actually mean, there'd be no reason for the Murkrow to tell Gold/whatever-you-name-him the password rather than just blurting out something else, like maybe random information about the rapidly-evolve-Magikarps-with-the-radio plan, or a few curse words from the executives' reactions to the grunts' failure back at Slowpoke Well. So yeah, the Murkrow had to have learned how to speak English.

The Murkrow speaking English isn't ridiculous at all. Actually knowing what the words mean is, again, not ridiculous at all (though it's unlikely that the TR members themselves were the ones who taught it how; but this is Team Rocket, so any Pokémon they have is most likely stolen.) The only thing I can see that seems a little fishy is the fact that a random Murkrow is just sitting there in a room for no apparent reason...

Why do we question this talking Murkrow in G/S/C when we can accept a talking Meowth in the anime? In the real world, a bird uttering human-language sounds is more plausible than a cat doing so.

Maybe Team Rocket has some way of training Pokemon to speak human language ("English" if you prefer, although the game was first published in Japanese).

Last edited:
Rocket grunts get a bit bored and so they get a Murkrow to talk to them during breaks. It must be a sad, sad life. Rocket pokemon have a tendency to start talking. *coughmewothcough*

The only thing I can see that seems a little fishy is the fact that a random Murkrow is just sitting there in a room for no apparent reason...

I agree with most of your post. But it's this last bit I'm having trouble with as well. I did say it could be a pet, it's just that Rockets don't really seem to me like the kind of people to keep pets. (and yes, I know Giovanni has a Persian in the anime)

Why do we question this talking Murkrow in G/S/C when we can accept a talking Meowth in the anime? In the real world, a bird uttering human-language sounds is more plausible than a cat doing so.
That's because I just ignore stuff like that from the anime. It makes no sense to me that they say their own name.

Maybe Team Rocket has some way of training Pokemon to speak human language ("English" if you prefer, although the game was first published in Japanese).
I know, I was just saying English because I couldn't be bothered to type "human language" out every time,er, that once.

Hey, have you ever heard of mynah birds? They're relatives of crows that are capable of mimicking speech, sometimes to a greater degree than parrots. So it's not much of a stretch to say that Murkrows, which are already quite intelligent (being Pokemon and all) can be trained to mimic speech like their animal counterpart's biological relatives.

As for it telling you the password, that was probably what it was trained to say. =P It didn't recognize you as friend or foe-- it just talked for the sake of talking. The Rockets were morons-- who tells a crucial password to a parrot? But never mind that.

That's because I just ignore stuff like that from the anime. It makes no sense to me that they say their own name.

Dog, dog!

LIIION!

Illo, armadillo!

Fish, fish...

Human, human!

On-topic, though, I agree with the parrot-that-heard-random-phrases-and-blurts-them-out-for-no-reason theory.

For all we know, in the anime Pokemon were named after the noises they make.

I thought that, but why would they say things like that anyway?

It is just a coincidence that a fox with nine tails says 'ninetales'?

Back
Top Bottom