• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Reverse Mafia

Hmmm. And what would you be? Something with a night action that would be worth more than voting ability at this point in the game?
Yes, definitely. It's better if I don't tell you the details if I'm not under massive suspicion for now (but I'll tell you if I have to clear my name).

Incidentally, Mai, how's that power of yours flavored?

My flavorrific name is The Vivacious, but other than that, I don't get much flavor at all. It just says I can examine another player as long as I'm not a ghost, and that I get their alignment as human, angel, or ghost. (Separating human from ghost ... not sure what this would mean, precisely, but it seems to make inspecting the dead for proof of not being an angel pointless.)

Yes, definitely. It's better if I don't tell you the details if I'm not under massive suspicion for now (but I'll tell you if I have to clear my name).

Saying you have an important night action but refusing to reveal it doesn't actually help; it still points the mafia at you, and the innocents don't get to make as good of an informed decision.

I've been observing so far, and though I don't really have much helpful to say, I am a tad confused. Why is this called reverse mafia? I don't quite understand that name.

Saying you have an important night action but refusing to reveal it doesn't actually help; it still points the mafia at you, and the innocents don't get to make as good of an informed decision.
It avoids telling the mafia exactly how important and why, which gives them less information with which to make their decision. Meanwhile it doesn't actually help the town to know what my action does except insofar as it convinces you not to lynch me. So unless I would otherwise be lynched, telling you more helps the mafia but not the town.

I've been observing so far, and though I don't really have much helpful to say, I am a tad confused. Why is this called reverse mafia? I don't quite understand that name.
It's reverse in the sense that the players who vote are the dead ones, rather than the live ones. (It's also reverse in its flavor, since "living" players are ghosts and "dead" players are live humans.)

On the topic of that voting mechanic, I think it's safe to say (since it would be revealed soon anyway), that I can vote before I die. I identify as the "Unaware", someone who doesn't know they're dead.

Huh, sounds interesting. You might've wanted to keep it under your hat until you had an actual vote to cast.

Anyways, let's have some ninja action to spice up that cpin flip, eh? Maybe Zero Moment will give us a more intrresting death flip. We'll see.

The discussion this time was a bit more lively. People talked back and forth about their abilities, and expressed surprise at the ineptitude of whoever it was who set this up, and suspicion quickly shifted from one ghost to the next, with one of the spirits narrowly avoiding the accusations of the rest of the ghosts and implicating another. Eventually, most of the ghosts decided that it would be best to not do anything today, but one of the humans suggested at the last second that they exorcize a ghost - a seemingly random choice.

A coin was flipped, and it came up heads. So, Metallica Fanboy headed off to the church to fetch a priest to come and perform a holy ritual on Zero Moment.

But when he came back, the number of the humans was lower than it had been when he'd left. Or, more accurately, there was one less human and one more dead body. He discovered the humans looking around in confusion, and the ghosts joyously welcoming back their good friend Wargle, who had apparently become a ghost again.

That was an issue to be solved later, though - the day was almost over. Without delay, the priest performed an exorcism ritual on Zero Moment, and by the time he left there was another human walking around. Though Phantom had apparently been aligned with the Angels, she was still a human, and there was no denying that the ghosts, with their numbers dwindling quickly, had not yet gotten rid of a single one of the angels camouflaging themselves among them.

Zero Moment has been turned into a Human. He was aligned with the Ghosts.
Wargle has died and become a Ghost again.

The Night will last 48 hours

When the ghosts woke up and took a count, there was one less than there had been last night. But two of them were gone...what in the world?

Dar and Flora were found wandering around that morning, getting used to being Human. They were greeted by the other humans, and so they all got together to discuss things.

But before they could start, four of the ghosts started to glow. Three of them were grinning evilly, and the fourth, Mai, the one who had been a human just yesterday, was looking around in confusion. There was a white flash of light, and they all turned into tall angels with pure white robes and yellow halos. "We have enough power now to overwhelm the rest of the ghosts," Alligates said. "We must save them, in the name of the Lord."

Once the Angels were done sending the ghosts to heaven, they sent the humans to heaven as well, and everyone lived happily for the rest of eternity.

Dar was turned into a Human. He was aligned with the Ghosts.
Flora was turned into a Human. She was aligned with the Ghosts.
Mai was turned back into a ghost.

The Angels now outnumber the remaining ghosts. The Angels win the game.

Angel Roles:

The Angels are Raphael (Altissimo), Uriel (Alligates), and Gabriel (Butterfree). Collectively, you MUST turn one ghost per night into a human (thus “killing” the ghost). The most recent designation I receive at the end of a night will be the player who is killed. If one is not sent in, the target will be randomized.
If Uriel is killed, Gabriel will first inherit his action, followed by Raphael, followed by recruited Angels in the order they were recruited. This action can be used each night as an alternative to using any other night actions. (You still have to revive one ghost per night, separate from this action)
Your win condition is to outnumber the remaining Ghosts. The number of Humans has no bearing on this win condition, so long as you outnumber the Ghosts.

Altissimo:
You are the angel Raphael, and your sworn goal is to fight against Satan, by the will of God. You have the power to heal, by harnessing the power of God’s grace, and you have decided to take action against Satan by depriving him of the souls from his army. Each night, you may use God’s Grace to protect one of your fellow Angels from any other actions performed on them during the night or the following day. You may communicate with the other Angels telepathically through God’s grace, where no ghosts may hear.

Alligates:
You are the angel Uriel, and your sworn goal is to fight against Satan, by the will of God. You have the power of God’s grace at your command, and you can use it to help your fellow angels. Up to Two times in the game, a maximum of once per night, you may baptize a human (a Ghost who has already been turned back into one, at least) in the fire of God, and elevate that human to the status of an Angel. They will change their alignment from Ghost to Angel, though their role will remain the same. There is a limit to this, however - the total number of living Angels may never exceed 4.
If and only if there are no humans present on any given night, you may instead select your own target and focus on reviving them into a human. This is a separate action from the Angels’ collective revivification.

Butterfree:
You are the angel Gabriel, and your sworn goal is to fight against Satan, by the will of God. You have at your disposal the infinite enigma that is God’s wisdom, and you have decided to use this wisdom to help your fellow Angels in the battle against Satan. Each night, you may use one of two actions: 1) choose one target, and completely block that target from using a night action (your targets are not restricted to ghosts - you may target humans as well), or 2) choose one target, and use your wisdom to find out what their night action is.

Ghost Roles

You are a Ghost. Your win condition is when there are no Angels remaining in the game.

Dar:
You are The Unaware. You may be a ghost, or at least everyone else may think you are, but you don’t ever recall dying. During the day phase, even while you are listed as Alive on the player list, when other players think you are a ghost, you may still cast votes towards the target of the day’s exorcism. After you have been turned back into a Human (while you are listed as Dead on the player list), your votes will carry twice as much weight as before.

Phantom:
You are The Lonely. You just want a friend, really. On the first night of the game, you MUST choose one other player to be your partner for the remainder of the game. For the rest of the game after that point, so long as your partner is still alive, you will be able to communicate outside of the game thread with that player (This choice does not count as a night action). As long as you remain a ghost, you will also be able to use your partner’s night action for the rest of the game.

Stormecho:
You are The Vengeful, and the people here have all done something to you, you’re sure. Each night, as long as you remain a ghost, you may attack one other player. If they are a Ghost, they will be turned into a human. If they are an angel, they will die.

Wargle:
You are The Hungry, and your desire to remain a ghost is stronger than everyone else’s. When you are turned into a Human, you will turn back into a ghost at the end of the day after you are turned into a Human. In addition, every night, as long as you remain a Ghost, you may target one player. If and only if an attempt on your life is made during either the same night or the following day, you will retaliate and attack your chosen player, making them unable to act the next night.

Zero Moment:
You are The Child, and, as you tend to get bored easily, you are always looking for new things to do. Each night, you may choose two targets, and use the action of the first target on the second target.

I liek Squirtles:
You are The Poltergeist, and you love just causing mischief. Every night, as long as you remain a Ghost, you may target two players. Any other action targeting the first player will now target the second player, and vice versa.

Mai:
You are The Vivacious. While you are a ghost, you have no powers. However, every night, as long as you are not a ghost, you can examine any other player, and tell what their alignment is, whether they are a Ghost, Angel, or Human.

Metallica Fanboy:
You are The Guardian. Every night, as long as you are a ghost, you may choose one player (including yourself, if you want), and protect them from any action that would otherwise turn them into a human (“kill” them).

Flora:
You are The Demon. You have a humongous rage against humanity, and you think that only ghosts should be special. Though you lack the ability to interact with humans outside of speech, you can instead strip them of the powers they once might have had, to ensure they will never have those powers again. As long as you are a Ghost, you will inherit the powers of the first Ghost to be turned into a Human

List of Actions

Night 0
~Phantom (The Lonely) becomes lovers with Butterfree
~I Liek Squirtles (The Poltergeist) switches Altissimo and Flora
~Altissimo (Raphael) protects Butterfree
~Wargle (The Hungry) sets sights on Butterfree
~Zero Moment (The Child) uses Wargle’s action on Dar
~Zero Moment (The Child) sets sights on Dar
~Stormecho (The Vengeful) attacks Phantom
~Flora (The Demon) steals the night actions of the first player to die
~Butterfree (Gabriel) finds out the night action of Metallica Fanboy.
~Alligates (Uriel) attacks Wargle
~Wargle attempts to roleblock Butterfree, but Butterfree is protected.
~The Angels collectively attack Mai (The Vivacious)
~Metallica Fanboy (The Guardian) does not use a night action.

~~Summary:
~~~Phantom becomes lovers with Butterfree.
~~~Phantom’s Alignment (but not affiliation) becomes Angel
~~~Phantom, Wargle, and Mai are all turned into humans.
~~~Butterfree learns Metallica Fanboy’s night action
~~~Flora inherits Phantom’s role. Phantom loses her (copied) ability.

Day 1
~Humans do not vote to lynch

Night 1
~Altissimo (Raphael) protects Alligates
~Butterfree (Gabriel) roleblocks Metallica Fanboy
~Metallica Fanboy (The Guardian) tries to protect Dar and fails.
~Mai (The Vivacious) inspects Butterfree. Gets result of Angel.
~Flora (The Demon) learns Altissimo’s night action.
~Zero Moment (The Child) uses Phantom’s night action on I Liek Squirtles [does nothing]
~The Angels collectively attack Metallica Fanboy (The Guardian)
~Alligates (Uriel) does not use a night action.
~Stormecho (The Vengeful) does not use a night action.
~I liek Squirtles (The Poltergeist) does not use a night action.
~~Summary:
~~~Metallica Fanboy is turned into a human.
~~~Mai learns that Butterfree is aligned with the Angels.
~~~Flora learns Altissimo’s night action.

Day 2
~Wargle gets revived because I’m a complete idiot and forgot she was supposed to be bulletproof N1
~Zero Moment is lynched

Night 2
~Wargle (The Hungry) sets sights on Butterfree
~Altissimo (Raphael) protects Alligates
~Mai (The Vivacious) inspects Alligates. It fails.
~Stormecho (The Vengeful) attacks Flora.
~Flora (The Demon) learns Butterfree’s night action
~Alligates (Uriel) recruits Mai
~The Angels collectively kill Dar
~Butterfree does not use a night action.
~~Summary:
~~~Mai becomes an Angel
~~~Flora learns Butterfree’s night actions
~~~Dar and Flora are turned into humans
~~~Count: 4 Angels / 3 Ghosts / 5 Humans
~~~~Angels win

...Er. This game did not quite turn out how I was hoping it would - it ended too quickly. This is without a doubt mostly my fault in terms of balancing it.

Looking at the role list, it is evident that the Angel faction is slightly overpowered. In hindsight, it might have been a better idea to make killing and recruiting mutually exclusive, as it would have allowed the Mafia to rack up numbers quickly - though, that's why I put out the cap of four Angels at once and only twice per game. Said cap was also put in place in case Phantom chose an Angel as her lover (which did end up happening), though I wasn't as adequately prepared for that possibility as I should have been, and I hope I handled that okay.

Mai's role was slightly overpowered, perhaps, but I thought it would help balance out the edge the Angels had gotten with the killing and recruiting and one of them getting ultimate protection from night actions, including inspection - depending on how the game went, they could have been killed first, or they could have asked for whoever was killed to lynch them immediately, to gain access to their inspection powers as soon as possible - those are the sorts of things I had in mind when designing the role. It's also not great that the other innocent roles weren't nearly as powerful by comparison, which I probably should have done something about.

I also probably should have made more roles accessible only after death. Stormecho killing the first night threw a huge wrench into my idea of how the game was supposed to go, and his killing the third night ended up giving the mafia the game. That's a power I probably should have saved until after-death only. Metallica Fanboy's healing powers, too, perhaps.

tl;dr I could have designed this game better, and I'm sorry it didn't turn out as well as it could have. I'll do my best to do it better next time, if there is a next time.

whoops I am apparently an erratic wildcard, never give me killing powers
(I chose phantom because uh... I figured it'd be really funny if the person with the ghost username turned out to be an angel and uh wELL THEN)

sorry for hastening the game's end, though! I really should have refrained from targeting anyone ahaha

Well, nevermind that, sleep eludes me.

Geez, my scumreads were all out of whack. It's been too long on the seat where I know everyone's alignments to begin with.

I suppose a smaller mafia would've helped things along here -- at a 12-player game, ending up with 4 mafiosi would necessarily be kind of eh. They should've started at 2 and capped at 3, or 4 but only with much greater difficulty to get there. This, more than anything else, made the game end quicker than it should've (although the reckless vigging in a small game didn't help either).

In any case, it wasn't a bad attempt, specially not considering how hard it is to do game balance in a venue where people passiomately hate vanilla roles. Maybe I could try to take a stab at something similar to this in the futurr, although I think I'm more or less set for gimmick mafia plans across the next few months or so (speaking of which, I really need to go resolve the night in ORAS Mafia -- it won't be long until I can actually do it, at least). In any case, thanks for the game, and here's hoping for more.

whoops I am apparently an erratic wildcard, never give me killing powers
(I chose phantom because uh... I figured it'd be really funny if the person with the ghost username turned out to be an angel and uh wELL THEN)

I... you. Just. You.

*glares*

:|

I knew Alligates and Butterfree were mafia! My intuition was pretty good here; my persuasive skills... eh. At least I ended up on the winning side (I actually figured there would be recruitment after death, but I didn't think saying that would help my case any - my thoughts were, "well, if I get recruited, then I'll probably be in a position where the town believes me, and that would be for the best").

Back
Top Bottom