• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

A "mainstream" question

Would you abandon a non-mainstream band if they became mainstream?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 44.6%
  • Who gives a fuck?

Votes: 31 55.4%

• Total voters
I wouldn't abandon them, but I dislike it when things that I like become mainstream, because then EVERYONE is interested in it, so liking it isn't that different anymore, even though I liked it before it went mainstream.

I think everyone would be better off if they stopped caring about what's considered "mainstream" and what isn't.

I seriously want to slap someone with a brick whenever I hear people bash a band that they used to like, but then can't think up any reason for all the hate besides "they suck because they're MAINSTREAM now!!1!1!"

I mean, if the band's music actually changed significantly after the "mainstreaming," that might be a reason for someone to not like it anymore. But if that's the problem, just say that instead of whining about the "mainstream"-ness.

EDIT: Seeing that "yes" still has zero votes actually makes me slightly more optimistic about the sanity of people who post here.

Last edited:
Seeing that "yes" still has zero votes actually makes me slightly more optimistic about the sanity of people who post here.
Still. I can guarantee there's at least one person here, probably like five, who is a big fan of Early Green Day™.

I know for a fact that one of these days my favorite band's gonna become mainstream, so I'd actually be quite happy. They're amazing~

a band becoming mainstream doesn't make them any different, just because of that

i've known bands where i like the 'old' them, like when they became (i guess you'd say) mainstream, their music changed to appeal to a bigger audience, not what they really wanted to do. then i quit listening.

but if a band is considered mainstream and i like them, i really think it matters

I don't give a fuck. Most, if not all of my music, has gotten mainstream exposure. I love my music. I wouldn't give any of it up simply because the groups have a greater exposure. However, sell-outs are a different story.

On the matter of sell-outs, I don't give a shit either. I only stop listening when the music stops being awesome.

(i have posted in this thread already, i know. if i remember correctly, the mainstream i had in mind wasn't in line with the mainstream others had in mind.)

i don't really mind if a band becomes mainstream as long as their creative integrity isn't compromised. i'll even put up with uncool fans.. animal collective is apparently mainstream enough to have frat boys as fans. i'll still listen to the music.

Back
Top Bottom