• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Capitalist Democracy Mafia 2: Credit Card Bubble

JackPK

blame telegram
Pronoun
he/him
Capitalist Democracy Mafia 2:
Credit Card Bubble

May contain slightly less fresh satire than last time.

A revisiting of the concept I used last summer! You can revisit the basic mechanics by reading that game’s signup thread and game thread, but in case of TL;DR, here’s a brief re-explanation:

THE CONCEPT

In this game, money is a value that players must be concerned about. Town roles receive a certain income at the end of the night, but scum roles receive no income and must steal money from the town. The scum can share money amongst each other, but for the innocents, it’s everyone for themselves. Some (well, most) night actions mess with money in some way, either by changing income in some way or by charging money from the user or the target.

During the day phase, the voting mechanic is dependent on money. Everyone must submit a vote — either to lynch someone or to abstain. This vote must be accompanied by a dollar amount to pay. At the end of the day, the outcome that grossed the most will be enacted.

For example:
  • There are three players left.
  • Players A and B each spend $5 to lynch Player C.
  • Player C only has $8 left, so he cannot spend enough to avoid being lynched.

As another example:

• Three players left.
  • Players A and B each spend $5 to lynch Player C.
  • Player C spends $11 toward abstaining.
  • There is no lynch.

The money everyone spends on their vote is deducted regardless of whether the outcome they voted for is what is enacted.

WHAT’S NEW

It’s the twenty-first century, and credit cards have finally made their way to Capitalismville! This means that if you don’t have enough money to do something, you can just do it anyway and worry about paying it back later. It’s the best way to make sure the other townspeople know how rich you are.

Each player may rack up a debt as high as [their income] times [0.2] times [the number of players still alive], rounded up to the nearest dollar. If player deaths cause this limit to shrink enough that you are now over it, the difference in your debt will be forgiven such that you are placed back at the limit. If this limit is reached and other people’s night actions start trying to charge you, those actions will fail.

At the end of each night, town players who have no money and are not at their debt limit will receive $5 in debt (or enough to reach their limit, whichever is less) so they have money to vote with.

(EDIT to clarify: Your debt may be increased by the following: [1] Your explicit request via PM, [2] another player's power that tries to charge you more money than you have, and [3] the above-mentioned automatic $5 charge if you have no money at the end of a night. Your debt and your money-on-hand are separate values to keep track of. You may tell me via PM at any time that you wish to use your money-on-hand to pay off your debt, and it will be processed at the end of the phase.)

Any innocent roles that do not have a typical income will have a debt-limit-per-number-of-players-still-alive explicitly provided to them in their role PM.

The scum may not incur debt. They have to get their money the old-fashioned way: by stealing it from the town.

Debt isn’t all good for the town, though. Players in debt who are targeted with a killing action cannot have their death prevented by any means. For example, a doctor protecting them will not work, nor will someone roleblocking the attacker. And if scum try to steal from a player in debt, the scum will receive money equal to double what the player owed.

OTHER NOTES

Roles will consist of a mix between roles that were used last time, roles that were cut last time but divulged in the end-of-game post, roles that people made up last time as fakeclaims, any of the above roles but with their flavor changed to something new, and/or new roles altogether.

THE RULES

• Every day phase, every player must submit a vote to either lynch someone or abstain. Anyone who does not submit a vote will be considered to have spent one night’s worth of income (or all the money they have left, whichever is less) toward lynching themself. For every additional day in a row this happens, their one night’s worth of income will be double-weighted, then triple-weighted, and so on.
  • You don’t have to use your night action, but please tell me if you’re refraining from using it. Everyone with a night action must tell me what they’d like to do every night. Failing to do so once is a warning, and twice is a modkill.
  • The only players who can communicate out-of-game are those in the scum faction. I'll start a Quicktopic thread for this purpose so it can be shared upon the game's end along with the role descriptions and night action log.
  • You may not post your role PM. You are, of course, allowed to publicly claim (or falsify) as much of it as you like, as long as you don’t copy the text of it word-for-word.
  • Phases will last two days.

I have 13 roles in mind. Let's see if we can fill that up in the next couple of days, and if not, I guess I'll start cutting.

I haven't fully calculated this game's balance yet, since I'm waiting to find out exactly how many people sign up, so I reserve the right to adjust the calculations I've given above if I need to do so. If this happens, I'll clearly state everything that's changed when I start the game.

Looking forward to hosting another game with y'all! I hope you have fun! :D

Last edited:
I'm gonna leave this open another day or so in the hopes that more people sign up. I can work with seven, but it's a lot less than I was hoping for.

If I do three-day phases instead of two-day, would that attract any players?

Signups are now closed, role PMs have been sent out, and I'll be opening the game thread shortly!

Back
Top Bottom