• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Doctor Who Club

2qlcv12.jpg
[/spoiler]
Exactly.

On another note:
I liked this episode. Not sure how the Statue of Liberty would be able to move. I mean, there's gotta be someone looking at it 24/7, honestly.

PROS:

* Jenny and Vastra being excellent. +100000 bonus points for the episode airing directly after the news discussing how a Catholic Archbishop thinks gay marriage is a sham.
* I thought the snowmen were pretty good villians. The imagination thing was cool.
* The magical staircase was GREAT
* I love the new TARDIS interior, especially all the Gallrefreyan symbols all over the place
* I also really liked the new opening credits. They were being delightfully psychedelic and I said 'it feels like a badly-CGI'd version of Matt Smith's face is about to appear' AND THEN IT DID.
* Moffat being meta with the Sherlock Holmes stuff. I've spent a lot of today thinking about whether I liked it or not, and I've decided I do.
* Stylistically, this episode was brilliant. The Beeb does period dramas like no other, and the costumes and locations were all wonderful.
* Exciting stuff in the 'Next time'. I need to watch it again, but the main things I noticed were Cybermen (and Canary Wharf, maybe? Torchwood returning to Who, please!), the Titanic (something sinking), and CELIA IMRIE.

CONS:

* Doctor Who? Doctor Who? Doctor Who? Arc words were much more fun when they were subtle.
* The plot played a waaaaaaay second fiddle to the questions Moffat threw in the air with Oswin coming back.
* I love the character of Jenny, but I can't actually love her as much as I want to because I don't actually think her actress is very good :(
* Oswin dying in every timeline could get very old very quickly.

Also the Royal Mail are doing some Doctor Who stamps next year! They look great, I'm going to stock up on stamps for the rest of my lifetime :D

thank you, Dannichu, for finding the thread, i was not looking forward to it

Yes, glad to get an infusion of Who! I can't say I like the new TARDIS, it's too pointy (how r u gonna catch people init, Doctor?), but I do suppose that it reflects the Doctors MATURE and DEPRESSED and WORLD-WEARY new SELF, so... At least he's kind of over that, now.

Vastra was cool, although I originally felt that the 'one word!' thing was going to be pretentious as all hell. It redeemed itself when Oswin turned the 'words' thing back around, though! Speaking of her, I'm a bit miffed that River didn't get any mention when she kissed the Doctor. At all. Not even 'I'm married!' or something.

I wanted him to take Oswin along as a companion, for the season finale to force him to erase her memory using that memory-worm thingy (come on! It was the perfect setup!) and send her off to where he knows she's going to end up becoming a Dalek and seeing him again while being incredibly heartbroken about it. But oh well.

I like the setup with the "Doctor's Friends", where people pop up as secondary companions for an episode, while obviously in their own little adventures. Shows that the Doctor's friends and companions don't just mope around, they actually do stuff when he's not around.

Not too fond of this, I am afraid. Maybe I am still miffed about Amy and Rory's departure. Or maybe I just hate Oswin or whoever she is. I do wish that potato man would be the companion instead.

Also, kissing the doctor made me mad. He's married,for goodness sake!

Oh, and the quick transaction to moody ass to his old self again made no sense. I would have prefered it if it was a gradual transaction as the episode went on. I also thought the villian was going to be a foil to the doctor, but that never seemed to come up.

I liked it! I wasn't very impressed with quite a bit of series six/first half of seven, but I did enjoy this one. It's cool that they're bringing it back to the old series, stylistically - with the shiny pointy TARDIS, the opening sequence etc. Kind of excited for Clara's storyline but also kind of wish we had a companion without a ~mysterious existence~ for a bit. Jenna-Louise Coleman seems pretty ace though.

And they should reboot Torchwood in Victorian England with Vashtra and Jenny and Strax. Please.

I got the feeling from the coming soon that that wasn't going to be the case.

Even so, I'm getting a bit tired of people dying and magically coming back (in whatever form) in Doctor Who. Maybe I'm being grumpy, but it makes the fact that the Doctor does it (and how it's a blessing and a curse) less special. Perhaps it's rose (hahahaha) tinted glasses, but back in RTD's Who, people actually stayed dead*, and those deaths made for the most memorable, emotional parts of the series.

*Captain Jack, obviously, notwithstanding.

PROS:
* I love the new TARDIS interior, especially all the Gallrefreyan symbols all over the place
* I also really liked the new opening credits. They were being delightfully psychedelic and I said 'it feels like a badly-CGI'd version of Matt Smith's face is about to appear' AND THEN IT DID.

CONS:
* Doctor Who? Doctor Who? Doctor Who? Arc words were much more fun when they were subtle.

I like the setup with the "Doctor's Friends", where people pop up as secondary companions for an episode, while obviously in their own little adventures. Shows that the Doctor's friends and companions don't just mope around, they actually do stuff when he's not around.

These!

Not sure what I think of the Oswin dying thing. It could lead to some interesting things, but I'd prefer a continuous companion who dies unexpectedly. Classic Who did it right. Am I right in remembering there was a Patrick Troughton episode where he had quite a few companions and they all died?

Not that I want people to die of course! I was just getting tired of the companions losing their memory or getting stuck in another universe and stuff. The way they Ponds left was quite good, but if they go overboard with killing a bunch of Oswins it might be even more bothersome, since it wouldn't be a surprise and the only question would be how rather than if.

Also, not related to the episode at all, I found a couple of cards from a Doctor Who card game. I remember I used to have a whole pack but I haven't a clue where the other hundred or so of them are. Even if I do find the rest of the cards I'd want the instructions because judging by these descriptions, the game seems quite complicated.

So I liked today's episode!

I really prefer episodes that can stand on their own over episodes that have to do with overarching plots. I find the most recent last in the series episodes have been the weaker ones. Maybe this one will have something to do with the rest of the series but it can stand by itself just fine.

It's how I like Doctor Who. Mysterious villain, doing villainous things, doing things to people that would be hard to cover up but they manage anyway. Also since when was the BBC allowed to mention jammy dodgers and burger king and stuff? I thought product placement wasn't allowed?

Also lol, as if anyone there was using myspace and bebo.

Why did I click on this thread?

Someone tell me WHY DID I CLICK THIS THREAD?!

More importantly why do I have this terrible weakness when it comes to resisting spoilers?

I've heard... mixed reactions so far. I've heard people are liking the new companion, but the episode was 'eh'. It hasn't aired in my country yet. So I won't be able to see it until about 2AM. Dedication. I has it.

Also, heard possible confirmation that David Tennant and Billie Piper will be somehow involved in the 50th celebrations? Not sure.

I didn't care much for this episode. The resolution was a bit contrived. There's a limit to how believable it can be when sentimental things destroy the monster of the week. Also the monster itself wasn't well presented. Was its motivation just that it was hungry, because that's not particularly exciting.

too late to join? I started watching who about november last year and have since then seen all of new who and have loved every second of it.
(well, except for every single one of my favorite characters dying, but.)

and currently I am saddened by my lack of BBC America :c

Joiiiiin us, JOIN US.

Welcome to the club RTB.

So... a few thoughts.

Looking back...

Thoughts on series seven thus far... I am not impressed in the slightest. Amy and Rory's leaving was... I felt it was rather half done and the episode moved far too quickly and the plot behind it all was sloppily written.

In fact this whole series has been sub par, and I really expected more of Moffat than this. I just hope this is a small hiccup. What I really hope is that whatever happens, the 50th Anniversary is going to be done well, and in a tasteful manner that won't be ripping out the stll beating hearts of die hard fans who have been watching this show for decades, and even for the new fans who have been watching it for nearly another decade in its reboot.

Also, there are no words to express my rage at the end of season 6. None at all. It almost ruined the show for me. If Moffat can't pull his head out of his ass and fix it they will have lost a die hard fan and simply have gained someone that watches the show.

I know it sounds harsh. But erasing him from history? And then the clearing of him from the Dalek's memory was just... It just felt like all the tension was just cleaned up with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. LOOK BAD STUFF THE END OF THE WORLD AND STUFF. *POOF* WHOOPS I WAS JUST KIDDING.

Though I will admit, Clara/Oswin's character does interest me, but that's all I am seriously interested anymore. (And where the fuck is River Song? Just because Amy and Rory decided to leave the show we lose one of the most interesting timey whimey characters? FTS)

This episode had quite a few problems. Really, the ending was very hard to believe, even for Doctor Who. And that's ignoring the question how does the solar system survive after its star just imploded on itself?

And uhh... How exactly does a leaf hold more significance than ALL of the doctors memories and emotions? That seemed a little bit too cheesy.

I'm still pretty neutral about Clara though because I still don't really know her story, but I do hope it's done well.

I guess I'm alone in really liking The Rings of Akhaten. The plot wasn't the greatest, no, but it was sweet, the little girl was adorable and it may just be me but I thought she was unusually good as a child actress, and I enjoyed the Ten-era feel of it. And also Eleven was pretty delightful in it - the barely-suppressed joy of being able to show a companion the universe and experience their wonder, insisting you don't run away after all the various running he's been doing, facing down the monster and talking about everything he remembers and everything he's lost and the pain and emotion of that scene. Plus I really, really like Oswin for some reason and she got to both be sweet and caring with the girl and to go and save the Doctor at the end.

I also liked it! I mean, the actual conflict of the episode was kind of sloppy and too loose for my liking, but the setting itself and the charactery bits were quite nice. I especially enjoyed seeing all these bystander aliens after what feels like seasons and seasons of only seeing villainous aliens or recurring-character aliens.

Alright, so I have a question for all you Whovians.

For those of you who have watched Classic Who, are there any stand-alone episodes that you would recommend? As much as I'd like to watch them in chronological order, most classic episodes were lost from the archives. So, from what is available on Netflix and Amazon Prime, are there any episodes I can watch that would give me a pretty good taste of the classic series?

Back
Top Bottom