• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Doctor Who Club

The tribute is up on YouTube at the moment, but I don't know how long it'll stay there.

I assumed that the Doctor had left the Ponds for some just-gotten-married couple time, or something. It was a bit odd that they didn't mention why, but it kind of makes sense.

As for River WHO KNOWS I have no idea. Obviously they're plastering 'wife' hints all over everything, only it seems like a massive red herring. The stuff that she said about the Doctor falling out of the sky and being all wonderful makes her sound very companion-y, rather than something crazy like his mother or sister or long lost Time Lord enemy person.

Ha, I kind of like that oh-you-saw-the-Doctor-you-knew idea, though I guess it's not really feasible. No doubt Moffat has thought up some equally bizarre way of fixing it. Or I hope so, anyway. I've read a couple of things where people are guessing that Matt is the final Doctor - that he'll do a few series and that'll be it, proper death, the end. I can only assume that the entire DW team wouldn't be keen on cancelling their own show though, so I doubt that's what's happening.

I did have a thought, though - the thing about the Doctor saying he was 1103. It seems a bit strange for them to fastforward 200 years when the whole of the current show has taken one series to equal one year, so maybe he was lying, to draw attention to the age difference and get the others to catch on to the 'I've sent you back to my past self' thing. He could actually be just a year older, which would take them up to the series finale to sort out the dead-Doctor problem.

Also why would you invite your friends to see you shot if you didn't want them to do something.

Hrm.

[Says Kinova's posted but I CAN'T SEE HER POST WHY DO YOU EAT PEOPLE'S POSTS TCOD so this is a test to, erm, try to fix it.]

EDIT: Hooray.

Yeah, I guessed that
he was giving them some time to have fun together (No innuendo intended, honest!).

I agree actually; I think that her mentioning getting married to 'someone' and dropping those hints about 'being a screamer' and stuff will turn out to be red herrings - Moffat's said that there will be 'huge unexpected twists' concerning River, and her being his future wife would be far, far too expected now to be described as unexpected.

Yeah, the thoguht of Matt being the final one crossed my mind, but then it occurred to me that they'll probably want to drag it on for as long as they possibly can, and although Matt's great, he's not going to stay on for more than a few years, so it's not really feasible he'll be 'it'.

Yeah, I found it very... Curiously particular that he so very carefully pointed out his age. Also, when Amy said "Oh, you were 908 when I last saw you!", he just kind of smiled and changed the subject... So there's definitely something going on there.

Well, that's the thing! He obviously DID want them to do something - it's like how he said "Whatever you do, do NOT follow us inside the box - and make sure to close the door behind you." this Doctor's always telling people not to do stuff, but in a way that shows that he wants them to do it anyway. So the 'dead' future Doctor definitely has/had more up his sleeve than was let on.

Last edited:
Okay, let me explain things first.

One: The 13 Regenerations rule is Time Lord law, not a biological law. And guess who's left of the Time Lords?

Two: The Slendermenalienthings are officially called the Silence. DUN DUN DUN.

Now that that's over, here's my theory.

The Silence have been on Earth before we created our civilization, much like the Pyroviles. Now we never really see the alien in The Lodger, now do we? We only know it wants to leave, and it has a perception filter. The Silence can enter Human bodies to further avoid detection due to the large amount of media "portraying" them, i.e. Little Green Men. (Side note: LGM = Elgyem)

But in the 60s, they were still a force, feared by the populace and not mentioned by the government. They haven't truly been identified due to their ability to be forgotten unless seen, and that's why LGM photos are always off/blurry/otherwise shite, because of this filter.

Now about the girl: IT'S NOT AMY'S CHILD NOR WILL IT BE RIVER OR HER CHILD. Ask yourself: WHY?! She's just a victim of the Astronaut, trapped as hostage. Either that or dead, and her image is being used as a projection to throw its captors away. Also, before anyone says it, there's no Grandfather Paradox with Amy shooting the Astronaut.

Mostly because the Astronaut is impervious to bullets. River unloaded a full revolver on it and nothing happened. What makes you think a badly-aimed shot by someone who's never handled a pistol, much less a snub-nosed revolver do anything? The only reason the Doctor, Amy and the audience reacted is because it showed the girl. We all then assumed that it's the girl and not the impervious spacesuit that was shot.

Also, a gaffe, probably two. River shooting the revolver: no recoil. It either should flick from her wrist or push her shoulder back. Same goes for Amy: an unprepared shot from a snub-nose can rip your hand off.

I used to be a massive Doctor Who nerd, I think I still have an entire shelf of classic who DVDs :'D But, during 2009, without a running series I think I gradually became less interested in the show. I still watch every episode faithfully, but it's become less important to me as of late.

Favourite Doctors: 10 & 5 :D
Favourite Stories: The End of Time Part 2 was the best piece of TV I have ever watched & Midnight has always really interested me.

Yeah I got that part. The Astronaut is impervious to bullets, and River has great aim, as seen many times.

Ah, but about the Regneration, the Time-Lords needed to grant it. They blocked The Master's regenerations, and he had to ask for more, so it's possible the Doctor still has a limit.

As for the marks from "Satan Pit" a couple theories about Amy having the marks.

Demons. They BROUGHT BACK THE DEMONS! Classic Who.

Also she seemed to be in control of herself in the trailer. Though the Silence seem to have the telepathic and "greater knowledge" as did the demons and the Beast. The possesed in "The Impossible Planet" and "The Satan Pit" weren't in control.

Finally, am I the only one who couldn't really take the shooting-the-little-girl scene seriously because of the whole sloooowwww mooootiooooon "NOOOOO WHAAAAAT AAARE YOU DOOOOIIINNNNNG" "SAAAAAVING YOUUUUR LIIIIIFE AAAAAAHHHHHH"

Hahaha, you are totally not XD

Okay, so which are creepier - The Silence or The Gentlemen from Buffy? For me, The Gentlemen win it, although it's sort of funny The Gentlemen get rid of people's voices, which you'd sort of expect creatures called The Silence to do.

Not really related to the episode, but Who-related and sort of funny - my sister has the TARDIS noise as her incoming-text music on her phone, and recieved a text at the exact same time as the TARDIS was arriving in an episode we were watching, so she didn't notice. The Whovian geekiness overwhelms.

Also - what do you guys think will happen with The Sarah Jane Adventures? (if any of you watch that?) Should they continue it under the same name without Lis and Sarah Jane? Create a sequel show where the non-SJ characters continue having alieny adventures? Or just call it a day, accept it won't continue without SJ/Lis Sladen and leave it as it was at the end of S4?

Not really related to the episode, but Who-related and sort of funny - my sister has the TARDIS noise as her incoming-text music on her phone, and recieved a text at the exact same time as the TARDIS was arriving in an episode we were watching, so she didn't notice. The Whovian geekiness overwhelms.

That is incredible XD

Also - what do you guys think will happen with The Sarah Jane Adventures? (if any of you watch that?) Should they continue it under the same name without Lis and Sarah Jane? Create a sequel show where the non-SJ characters continue having alieny adventures? Or just call it a day, accept it won't continue without SJ/Lis Sladen and leave it as it was at the end of S4?

Well, I never watched SJA myself, but I'd like to think that they'll continue it in some form in her memory! Although how they'd explain her sudden disappearance from the show, I don't know...

I'd also love it if they made a n in-canon reference to her death - perhaps in DW if the Doctor were to receive news of her death and pay some kind of tribute? The only problem there, of course, is that the Doctor is a time traveller - Her death isn't necessarily important to him since he can see her whenever he likes by just travelling back to when she was alive! Eh, we'll see.

Hahaha, you are totally not XD

Okay, so which are creepier - The Silence or The Gentlemen from Buffy? For me, The Gentlemen win it, although it's sort of funny The Gentlemen get rid of people's voices, which you'd sort of expect creatures called The Silence to do.

Definitely the Gentlemen. I didn't find the Silence scary at all. :v Honestly I was kinda surprised everyone else did find them scary! I was sort of expecting people to be like 'olol that was hilarious' and sort of disappointed? Idk. I guess I just have high standards.

I don't know what they're going to do about SJA - it would be very weird to have it carry on without her, but I would miss it. My sister reckons they could do a spin-off spin-off, with Jo Grant, but I don't know. She was loopy and quite entertaining but it's just not... what it was. I think they have a few episodes of the next series recorded already, but I don't know if they'll show them on television.

As for the Silence, I think it was the concept more than anything that creeped me out. Memory is a funny thing, and to consider it being messed around with is unsettling.

I don't know if they'll even air the three episodes they made... I've not seen the final episode of the last series, but it was called Goodbye Sarah Jane and from what I've heard, would be a semi-decent place to end the series. It was such a good show, though, and I think it was more consistently good than Who itself, if a little on the cheesy side. Look what someone spotted!

I don't know what I want them to do about giving closure to the other characters, or about what happens to Sarah Jane in canon, though. ;;

There's a fandom joke that The Impossible Astronaut wasn't a very good episode because it didn't even have any aliens in X3

Also, sort of interesting, it was the most-watched show ever on BBC America, yet was the least-watched series opener on the BBC since the show was rebooted back in '05. Though I think this is less to do with the Brits not wanting to watch Who and more to do with Saturday being a gloriously sunny day in the middle of a 4-day weekend.

Her death isn't necessarily important to him since he can see her whenever he likes by just travelling back to when she was alive! Eh, we'll see.

Sarah Jane is in the Doctor's personal past. He can't travel back his past. So this will be the last time he can ever see Sarah Jane.

And I have a feeling they'll handle her death the same way the Doctor's death was; they get contacted by UNIT, then a funeral. The Doctor, Amy and Rory then comfort the kids, and Luke continues his mother's work in her honour. With his friends, of course. Show name gets changed, their life goes on defeating aliens and shizz. Have Rani's parents be Luke's caretakers as well.

It can work as a fitting tribute to Liz Sladen as well.

Sarah Jane is in the Doctor's personal past. He can't travel back his past. So this will be the last time he can ever see Sarah Jane.

I know, what I meant was that he could go back to a time where he hadn't visited her yet before. He managed it perfectly well in those episodes of SJA that he was in!

Although I do rather like your idea.

AAAAHHHHHHH THE FINAL COUPLE OF MINUTES WHAT WAS THAT????

Also THE OPENING FEW MINUTES.

Also PIRATES NEXT WEEK :DDDDDDDD

Also (sorry for all the alsos) last week I said "He's not allowed to get married? Oh, Doctor Who, you and making all your incidental characters gay" so opal said "My first thought was actually interracial marriage" and LOL WE WERE BOTH RIGHT <33333

brb, more articulate later.

Currently, I am scared shitless.

EDIT: Just finished watching the show on iPlayer and LOL CANTON'S GAY.

I was cool with an interracial marriage, but making him gay immediately put Harkness back into my mind. To be honest, I should've seen it coming.

And PIRATES. YARR.

Last edited:
ARG! Damn you people for living six hours ahead of me! I am going to build a teleporter that will take me to the UK every Saturday so I can hang with the cool British peeps and watch Doctor Who on time.

Aww, I'm sorry! Although now I'm sort of jealous because you get to watch it for the first time! I sometimes wish I could delete all memory of having watched my favourite shows/episodes so I could watch them for the first time again (or leave a note telling myself to not watch the final ten mintues of Journeys End). :)

Other things I remember I enjoyed:

-River splashing into the swimming pool in the library. I adore little bits of self-reference like that <3

-"You've got a screwdriver! Go build a cabinet!" The hilarious one-liners continue!

-The bit with Amy in the Orphanage was genuinely scary, even by Moffat standards.

And things I didn't like so much:

-The resolution of the Silence thing was a bit anticlimactic, I thought. Am I being silly, or did we never actually find out what they were doing?

-It's feels a bit off to have the Doctor be so pacifistic and refuse to use guns, while being perfectly happy letting River shoot stuff left, right and centre (Sarah Jane certainly wouldn't stand for it).

-I blame this on Eleven being so asexual, but while I enjoy the hilarious flirting, the River/Doctor kiss seemed wrong. Even though the Doctor was super-awkward about it, the suggestion that it'll be happening a lot more is... weird to me. And we've already got one couple on board the TARDIS.

Aww, I'm sorry! Although now I'm sort of jealous because you get to watch it for the first time! I sometimes wish I could delete all memory of having watched my favourite shows/episodes so I could watch them for the first time again (or leave a note telling myself to not watch the final ten mintues of Journeys End). :)

Other things I remember I enjoyed:

-River splashing into the swimming pool in the library. I adore little bits of self-reference like that <3

-"You've got a screwdriver! Go build a cabinet!" The hilarious one-liners continue!

-The bit with Amy in the Orphanage was genuinely scary, even by Moffat standards.

And things I didn't like so much:

-The resolution of the Silence thing was a bit anticlimactic, I thought. Am I being silly, or did we never actually find out what they were doing?

-It's feels a bit off to have the Doctor be so pacifistic and refuse to use guns, while being perfectly happy letting River shoot stuff left, right and centre (Sarah Jane certainly wouldn't stand for it).

-I blame this on Eleven being so asexual, but while I enjoy the hilarious flirting, the River/Doctor kiss seemed wrong. Even though the Doctor was super-awkward about it, the suggestion that it'll be happening a lot more is... weird to me. And we've already got one couple on board the TARDIS.

I assume we're going to find out more about what the silence is/was actually doing as the season progresses. I don't think their arc ends here. Agree with you on most everything else though. That orphanage... Christ.

Why?! Why can I not not read spoilers?! (that made sense in my head) I see them and I'm like "huh it's a spoiler, I shouldn't, I haven't seen the episode yet." then I'm like "Reeeeeeeaaaad... DAMMIT!" It's not even on here for another four hours and I don't get to see it until it reruns at like one in the morning. What I sacrifice. That's it, no more Who, I will watch some nice American tv... Ah Desperate Housewives... *eyeballs burn out*

^Phantom's Rant#2 About Living in the US, abridged edition.

I will hold myself back from asking questions. I am so happy there's the rest of the season left. That's why Christmas makes me sad, it's one episode and then you have to wait forever for steady new episodes again. I don't like that they split it, I mean I know it's a good idea and all... but that last episode before fall... it's going to be evil isn't it? Moffat's going to leave us in a cliffhanger to end all known Whovian cliffhangers and we are going to want him dead, but we won't cause, well, he is the writer and all.

Yes, yes we absolutely will. That man is so absolutely evil with his cliffhangers (bloody Sherlock!) and has promised something 'game changing' at the end of this section of episodes, and given what he's done so far, I can't begin to imagine what it'll be.

(American TV isn't that bad. You've got Buffy and Joss' other stuff, and The West Wing and the early series of House!)

Phantom, stop reading spoilers. You'll ruin it for yourself!

Back
Top Bottom