• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Teachers/Parents and Dorkiness

Autumn

bye
Pronoun
she
So I thought it was bound to be a good time when, in the middle of our SSBB tournament in music theory, our (34 or 35-year-old) teacher decreed there would be a "rookie deathmatch" where the only people allowed to play were those who had never touched the game before, and us vets couldn't help them.

Quite funny when the band teacher himself agreed to participate in said rookie deathmatch.

Even funnier when he looked at the character select screen and said "I want to be something called Jigglypuff."

He lost, unfortunately, thus proving he's not a modern gamer. But nonetheless it did intrigue me when he said something along the lines of "It's interesting hearing all these old-school video game tunes here." We'd heard the LoZ theme, some song I think may have been from Kirby (I can't remember) and the band teacher had participated in a match in Brinstar or whatever that level is called. I mean, I knew that he knew Mario music (evidenced by the one time he played the "100 seconds left" music on his keyboard when we were taking a test in music theory and the morning announcements - signalling about 7 minutes left in the class period - came on), but Metroid and LoZ?

Then I asked him if he'd ever been a gamer. "A little bit," he replied. "I was never /too/ into it. I had the original 8-bit Nintendo, never upgraded. It was like crossroads - 'do I get a Super Nintendo, or don't I?' - and I never did."

"What games did you play?"

"Legend of Zelda... Metroid... all the Mario games..."

I've known this teacher for four years but never once did I even suspect that he had any interest or knowledge in those game franchises or any knowledge of anything video-game-related apart from Mario (which, I figured, was more of an 'everyone knows this' kind of thing). Suddenly the fact that he'd recognized the Hyrule and Brinstar themes made so much more sense! (Though left me questioning why he went straight for the unfamiliar Jigglypuff rather than Link, Zelda, Samus, Mario etc... I mean my best friend had picked up SSBM for the first time a few matches earlier and went straight for Kirby because the Kirby and Pokémon franchises are the only ones she's ever really participated in, and Kirby's more familiar than Pokémon to her.)

I always knew my band teacher was a dork (to the point where him calling me a dork is saying something), but somehow I never expected this. Respect for him is increased greatly.

And then there's my boyfriend's parents, who apparently almost broke up/divorced (idk if they were married or not at the time) because they kept hitting each other in Battletoads.

So. Any of you guys got interesting stories bout dorky teachers or parents you'd like to share?

An English teacher in my school is making her classes play a Pokemon version of 'Family Feud.' She has a Jigglypuff and a Pikachu as far as I know.

My parents are always dorky, so they don't count in my sense.

My Psychology teacher is basically resigned to the fact that his class devolves into a pokémon/duel monsters/fallout orgy after the AP test is done with. He knows what a pikachu is and I think he mentioned being a mild Halo fan once.

There's a teacher at school, who stamps tests that get A's with pokemon stamps. I told my friend to write a report for him entirely in Unown.

He had no idea how to even use the controller properly. I guess maybe "he lost, therefore he doesn't play games" isn't a fair statement but his performance did prove that he doesn't play games anymore since he couldn't figure out how to work anything.

There's a teacher at school, who stamps tests that get A's with pokemon stamps. I told my friend to write a report for him entirely in Unown.

... That sounds awesome.

A few of you might know that I once turned in a paper with capital letters written in Unown! My teacher... did not get the reference, sadly, but I didn't get any points taken off for it. So I'm satisfied.

None of my teachers have shown any sign of being dorky, though.

One of the ICS teachers in my school is a pretty hardcore gamer. Apparently, he went to get Diablo III at midnight, and the following morning he said to his class, "I'm level 5 right now." The next day, he said "I'm level 34 right now."

My English teacher has a Pikachu in her classroom. Once, my music teacher lets us debate intensely over which was better, PS3 or XBox, and the best Mario games. He gave opinions in the latter. Sometimes my mom played with my Pokemon figures. And my dad asks for Pokemon & Skylander names.

My dad is the entire reason we play Zelda, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy and Tales of games. He's so obsessed with RPGs that we all get into it. (he and the rest of the family are playing Tales of Graces as we speak.)

also doesn't count as teachers but my school has a Pikachu costume...(it might belong to one of the girls but i'm not sure)

One of my professors last fall was a PhD student. She played World of Warcraft a lot, and was even writing her dissertation on how players communicate within the game.

My English teacher was at my local mall's Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 tournament a few months ago! He actually did pretty well with his Spider-Man, Strider Hiryu, and Hulk team before losing in the semi-finals. And after the tournament, he told me about how he missed beating chumps at the local arcade with his Jill/Blackheart/Hiryu team back in the days of MvC2. I'm gonna miss him next year.

Our old form tutor once won a bet with us by reciting all the first 151 Pokemon, but I think he was motivated more by money than by actual interest in the games. :P

Not a teacher or parent, but my boss at work recently told me that she used to be so obsessed with The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion that she was starting to walk into rooms, see plants, and automatically think "must take those to make potions". At that point she decided this was getting unhealthy, so she quit.

She also said that she'd be a humongous geek and would totally go to things like the London Expo if her friends were actually into anything geeky, but since they aren't, her own natural geekiness gets kind of suppressed.

The school I used to go to was pretty much nerd central for both students and teachers, so I'd be willing to bet a fair number of teachers I had have numerous nerdy pastimes that I don't even know about. I have heard that this year, several of the teachers have formed a D&D group and play weekly or so.

But my favorite two nerdy-teacher-anecdotes are: 1) I had a teacher last year who would invite anyone interested around to her house every week to watch the new episode of Doctor Who, and 2) I once was chatting about Phoenix Wright to a friend before my math class started, and my teacher came in as I was mentioning "Edgeworth" and said "Edgeworth from Phoenix Wright? Those games are awesome!" And gave me a high five. I was pretty pleased.

Me and my friends (who most are avid Yugioh players) where making fun of our History teacher, joking that he was secretly a master duelist. I believe he heard us, because the next day, he came to school with like 6 different decks and asking if anyone of us would like to play.

My information technology teacher in high school was a fan of the Dragonriders of Pern series. I had a painting of him riding a blue dragon commissioned from KaiserFlames before I graduated. He also played D&D way back in the day, when the books were paperback and covered with demons, and I remember hearing some story where he decapitated two angels in the same turn and was then subsequently struck down by lightning...

Not a teacher or parent, but my boss at work recently told me that she used to be so obsessed with The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion that she was starting to walk into rooms, see plants, and automatically think "must take those to make potions". At that point she decided this was getting unhealthy, so she quit.

I was in that exact same situation last summer when I saw a plant in Mom's yard that looked just like a plant from Oblivion (don't remember which one though) and I had this really odd, confused feeling where I tried to reach out to it with my hand but also grope around in the air for the spacebar with that same hand... Then I realized I was in real life.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom