• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

R/B/Y Death of R/B/Y

Phantom

Uh, I didn't do it.
So, as many people know the internal batteries on the older game cartridges for Pokémon Red, Blue, and Yellow, will be running out of power soon; or at least that's the estimate.

Basically, for those who don't know, the old gameboy games use an internal battery to keep saved games 'alive'. they can be replaced, but it's tricky unless you really know what you're doing.

It's been 14 years.

So I'm going back and playing with my Blue version team that I've had since the beginning and playing through, and I am gonna trade my Blue team to Gold and Silver, maybe get a little more time out of them.

I know there's places to still play, like using vba, but there is just something about playing on my old game boy 'brick'.

Last time I checked all of my GBC games were still working, it surprised me that my sapphire's battery died before any of them.
I just hope I can manage to beat all of them before they run out, since I only got silver and blue about a year ago and haven't played them all that much yet.

I've never had a problem with RBY's internal batteries running out, perhaps because I haven't played them as much.

My Silver version's battery died, though I replaced it and it was good as new! I actually found it pretty simple to replace it; I'm not sure if that's because I am kind of technologically inclined or what. I could look for the guide that I used if anyone's interested, but I imagine it would be a fairly simple thing to Google, as well.

I'm nervous that my Crystal version's battery will die; that is by far my farthest game with the most Pokémon.

Does anyone know if Nintendo 64 cartridges have similar batteries? I have most of my good Pokémon from Crystal stored on my Pokémon Stadium 2 game, but of course that wouldn't be much of an advantage if N64 cartridges can have a similar problem haha.

Hmm, it isn't THAT tricky to replace a battery, you just need to know what you are doing, and not to burn yourself, or even blow yourself up. I didn't get my cartridge 14 years ago for RBY, maybe 6 or 7.

I did replace the battery on my Fire Red version, as it was a bootlegged copy and only lasted a few months. What I used to do, before I replaced the battery, was just to never turn the DS off. xD I just kept it plugged in the whole time, until I just basically gave up on the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, after the internal battery dies, does that mean the save file is erased?

I'm kind of disappointed. I had no idea that the games had an expiration date until I read this.

You could always trade them to gold, swap in a new battery, then trade them back onto a new file. It's not *quite* the same as just having the old file forever, but it's also not quite as definite as "physical rby is over"?

My batteries are all dead now... Gold died years ago and Blue probably earlier than that... Well, with no one to trade anymore, keeping the old games never worked for me.

Gold's battery died on me... That was a sad day as that was my first Pokemon game ever. My Blue cart is still kickin' though, thankfully.

I'm confused. My Emerald's battery died out at least a year ago and I can still play it. Save file is fine. The only difference is that the game keeps saying that 'the internal battery has dried out'. I dunno

I'm confused. My Emerald's battery died out at least a year ago and I can still play it. Save file is fine. The only difference is that the game keeps saying that 'the internal battery has dried out'. I dunno

That just means the internal clock has died. So you can't grow berries anymore, or anything else real-time based.

Orrrrr Alraune could ninja me and explain it better

Also I still don't know why exactly the "one-year-battery glitch" occurred; it wasn't a problem with the batteries themselves because contact with other games/events (FRLG, Colosseum, Jirachi) "patched" it. Would somebody be able to explain this because my inner nerd has developed a bizarre need to know this.

(also that made me think "~*~INNER GODDESS~*~" tailsy help)

Shhhhhh.
It's just your subconscious telling you what your soul already knows :o)
NO THAT MAKES ME THINK OF IT TOO

Also what is this one year glitch thing why haven't I heard of it

When RS were first released they found out that after a year of playing the time stopped working. It was a universal problem that got fixed by connecting to FRLG (and presumably Emerald?) or getting pre-order Jirachi with your Colosseum game (and possibly connecting with it in general; I used the Jirachi method so I don't know all of them)

When RS were first released they found out that after a year of playing the time stopped working. It was a universal problem that got fixed by connecting to FRLG (and presumably Emerald?) or getting pre-order Jirachi with your Colosseum game (and possibly connecting with it in general; I used the Jirachi method so I don't know all of them)

iirc Pokemon Box fixed it too

but fucking no one but me bought Pokemon Box so lol

oh really? Huh I had mine for well over a year before it quit on me. I still play it though (I always forget about berries lol)

it also means you can't get the lilycove rooftop sales or swarms, though. :/

Some people (like me) never got the Berry glitch.

Who knows if I would if I bothered to replace Ruby's battery/find my Sapphire.

Gen 3's battery death is not fatal, unlike Gen 1 and 2's.

My 2nd-generation games had dead batteries long before any of the 1st-generation games.

A few years back (I can't remember exactly how long, but I know it had to be 2+ years...) two of the three I own were already dead (I can't remember if it was Silver or Crystal that still worked; probably Crystal but I'm not sure), but all of the 1st-gen games in the house still worked.

I've had my original Red since a couple days after the American release and Blue since Christmas of the same year, and I know my original Red and Blue games got played through a lot more than G/S/C did... so the R/B games would've been played a whole lot more than G/S/C. I wonder if the 2nd-gen batteries just die quicker than the 1st-gen ones do for some reason, rather than it having anything to do with how heavily they're played.

My 2nd-generation games had dead batteries long before any of the 1st-generation games.

A few years back (I can't remember exactly how long, but I know it had to be 2+ years...) two of the three I own were already dead (I can't remember if it was Silver or Crystal that still worked; probably Crystal but I'm not sure), but all of the 1st-gen games in the house still worked.

I've had my original Red since a couple days after the American release and Blue since Christmas of the same year, and I know my original Red and Blue games got played through a lot more than G/S/C did... so the R/B games would've been played a whole lot more than G/S/C. I wonder if the 2nd-gen batteries just die quicker than the 1st-gen ones do for some reason, rather than it having anything to do with how heavily they're played.

Back
Top Bottom