• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Ace Attorney Mafia

Clover

neither simple, nor coherent.
Ace Attorney Mafia
v.2.0: Trials and Tribulations + Apollo Justice style

Sup tcodf. So a bunch of you probably don't remember, but about a thousand years ago on pre-explosion vB, I ran an Ace Attorney mafia based on the first two games. I don't remember much of it myself except for the whole 'exploding lesbians' meme. (Scizor was Pearl channelling Wellington [terrorist], and so one day he blew up... pretty sure it was Dannichu/Turner [doctor], who Butterfree/April May [lover] had fallen in love with and so she killed herself through a familiar heart-shaped pendant of poison. ... It was pretty cool at the time.) But I'm pretty sure everyone judged it awesome.

Anyway! This is that same thing, only mk.II addresses the second two games - Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations, and Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney. I don't have any actual background story as such, because how do you explain the ~time travel~? (Subterr-- no, wait, too soon.) Just figure it's the same handwaving that lets you present evidence from the future to get evidence from the past you never could have recieved naturally but which is vital to your case... that goes on in the Mason System.

The Mafia

Kristoph Gavin
Kristoph has spent years in law school and in the courtroom studying criminals. Murderers. Their motives, their mindsets, their methods. He's learned quite a few things over the years, and has chosen this time to exact his revenge. Choosing to move above and beyond the law, Kristoph leads his band of henchmen in the fight against peace and righteousness.

Furio Tigre
Kristoph's second-in-command, Tigre is a red-hot rebel with a short fuse. Eager for the chance to toy with the citizens of Los Angeles, he secretly harbors the hope of replacing his superior should Kristoph come to an... unfortunate end. So long as Kristoph is alive, however, he won't actively participate in the killings.

Wocky Kitaki
Yo yo yo, Wocky K, number one true G, is in the hizzooouse~ Or at least with the mafia - Kristoph thought it might be good to keep someone around who had a background in these arts. He's still only third-in-command, though, meaning that he doesn't get to do any actual murdering until his two superiors are killed off.

Shelly de Killer
He would rather not get involved in any of this dreadful business; however, it is de Killer's professional opinion that those hooligans simply don't know how to go about assassinating someone. Unfortunately, all his weapons and means of attack have been confiscated - save his secret weapon, an antipersonnel bomb. None of the mafia know who he is, nor does he know their true identities, and he doesn't participate in their discussions. If the mafia manage to kill every innocent member, he also wins. If, however, he is pressed, he's ready to throw his life away to at least take someone else out before being killed, and can choose to do so if the other members vote to lynch anyone during the day. Before they can carry out the sentence, he will calmly approach any other member and blow himself up, killing himself but also taking out the member of his choice. If Gumshoe investigates him, de Killer will quickly dress in his butler outfit and Gumshoe will consider him innocent.

The Innocents

Dick Gumshoe
Detective Gumshoe has access to all the department's finest secret weapons for hunting down criminals: Missile, the faithful police dog; his trusty fishing pole; a metal detector that's served him well; and look, pal! it's a real, genuine pistol! He is capable of sneakily conducting a sneaky investigation on any member he chooses, which enables him to identify whether or not the target is a mafia member. Unfortunately, because one only has so much energy surviving on pasta and noodles every day, he may only investigate once per night.

Pal Meraktis
Usually Meraktis don't got no reservations 'bout helpin' out the... unscrupulous side'a town; they tend ta pay better. Still, you gotta fix up some regular folks too, right? Or else th' fuzz might come pokin' around t'see what's up. So Meraktis'll use his special bulletproof formula on one kid of his choice once per night. If that guy'd be killed through any means that night, they won't die. However, the formula has a side effect of greatly increased blood pressure - if Meraktis and Eldoon both choose to target the same player, the formula mixed with Eldoon's extra salty broth will give the player a heart attack instead of saving them.

Guy Eldoon
YanniEldoonsolution.GIF

That is all.

(It's a doctor role, you know the drill.)

Apollo Justice
A rookie attorney of some renown and Klavier's rival in the courtroom. Apollo is concerned solely by bringing justice and finding the truth, and understands that Klavier holds the same motivations. If Apollo is killed and Klavier is still alive, he will be consumed by guilt and use his next night action to hunt down and kill the member he most suspects to be responsible. Apollo knows who Klavier is, but the two cannot communicate.

Klavier Gavin
Lead singer of the platinum rock band The Gavinners and Apollo's rival in the courtroom. While he doesn't show it, Klavier respects Apollo and resents his older brother's actions. If Apollo is killed and Klavier is still alive, he will become infuriated with rage, track down one of the players he suspects to be mafia, and kill them out of revenge. Klavier knows who Apollo is, but the two cannot communicate.

Dahlia Hawthorne
Dahlia never, ever gives up a grudge, even in death. Each night, she may use her immense spiritual powers to carefully ensnare another player's soul of her choice, such that if she is killed by vote in the following day, she will drag that player to the grave with her.

Maya and Pearl Fey
Followers of the Kurain Channelling Technique as well as heirs to the title of Master, Maya and Pearls have honed their gifts to openly channel any player with the unfortunate luck to become deceased. After choosing the name (of one either killed at night or lynched in day, it makes no difference) of their 'client', their own souls move out of the way and their bodies become vessels for those who had gone before. In short, Maya/Pearl are told the role of the person they have chosen, and the next night (or, if they have chosen de Killer, day), they may perform the deceased person's action. They may choose the name during any night they please, but note that because their action effectively requires two nights to take effect, they may want to hurry up before they become one with the spirits themselves!

(Should both channellers choose the same person, the role will be awarded on a first-come first-serve basis based on the order I received the PMs.)

Trucy Wright
This daughter of former defense attorney Phoenix Wright has practiced training as a 'child of magic'. Using her Magic Panties of Holding, Trucy is able to produce illusions to distract one player of her choice per night into performing their action they had aimed toward another player toward her. This means she could get lucky and steal away a useful healing... or she could get unlucky indeed and distract Kristoph himself. She will be told of any actions that are aimed toward her, but not what if any were the result of her distraction. If she should distract Tigre or Wocky while Kristoph is still alive, she will not die as it is Kristoph himself who carries out the deeds.

Ema Skye
Scientifically speaking, Ema's tools and techniques provide her with a large arsenal of ways to hinder the killers. For instance, her supply of Hydroxymethylunodosetrase allows her to simply surreptitiously sneak some into the drink of a player of her choice. This induces sleep at exactly midnight and awakeness at exactly eight, causing the player to skip their night action, if they had any. [ka-tonk]

Alita Tiala
... Right, I remember why I forgot this role. I don't like Alita, she's personalityless. But uh, lover, falls in love with someone of her choice, you know the drill.

Variable Alignment

Luke Atmey and Ron DeLite
Two sides of the same law-breaking coin, Atmey is quite scheming but puts up an innocent façade, while Ron is cunningly sly as his alterego Mask*DeMasque, but shyly timid as his true self. During the first night, Atmey and Ron can sneak into the evidence room, steal their choice of an important item of old evidence, and choose either the innocents or the mafia to side with. After that they will function exactly like their chosen role and alignment. If Atmey or Ron chooses to align with the mafia, he is informed of who the mafia members are and they of who he is, but not until the end of the first night. When killed, Atmey and Ron appear to be innocent no matter what their true alignment was.

Maximillian Galactica's Playing Cards - If Atmey or Ron selects this evidence, one night during the course of the game they may choose to randomize the targets of all night actions to anything not the user's chosen target. When the players wake up, they will see a fabulously large golden bust left behind and realize that their targets were scrambled, but they will not know who they really targeted. Night actions without a specific target will go through as normal.

Manfred von Karma's Taser - If Atmey or Ron selects this evidence, every night, he can choose a player to be struck by a freakin' stun gun, causing the target to become paralyzed. That player's night action, if any, will then not happen. If Atmey or Ron choose nothing, they will simply not perform a night action.

The Judge's Gavel - If Atmey or Ron selects this item, one night during the course of the game they may choose to end the night early at whatever point they choose during the Midnight stage. Any night actions that happen after this point (see the order of night actions below and in the other thread; this is not a question of when the night actions are sent in) will be skipped, and instead the dead are simply rounded up and the next day starts.

Mike Meekins's Megaphone - If Atmey or Ron selects this item, every night, they pick a player to... distract. Audibly. Instead of being targeted by whatever targeted them that night (excluding Gumshoe’s investigation and Trucy's illusions), they will be targeted by whatever was used on the player they targeted during that night. If Atmey or Ron choose nothing, they will simply not perform a night action.

Iris's Demon-Warding Hood - If Atmey or Ron selects this evidence, every night they may choose to wear the hood for spiritual protection. This protects them from nighttime assaults of any kind - and better yet, it does not clash with the doctors' orders if they are used on them. However, if they wear it any one night, the spiritual energy must be charged the next night, and they are of course always vulnerable to execution during the day. If Atmey or Ron choose nothing, they will simply not perform a night action.

Will Powers's Steak - If Atmey or Ron selects this evidence, every night they may choose a player to be slipped a roofie sleeping pill in their food. That player will then sleep through the next day and be unable to participate in discussion and voting. That a player is sleeping through the day will be noted in the morning. If Atmey or Ron choose nothing, they will simply not perform a night action.

Ini Miney's Clothing Box - If Atmey or Ron selects this evidence, they are nigh-impossible to find, flying beneath the radar and leaving confused, bereft players in their wake. While hiding, they are very difficult to see during the night. If any lethal attack targets them, it has a 50% chance of missing them altogether.

The Alien

Diego Armando
A lawyer can only cry when it's all over. That's one of Diego's rules. This defense attorney with a penchant for his black, hot, bitter coffee seems like a normal townsperson at first. However, should the mafia attempt to take him down, he transforms into the quixotic prosecutor Godot, tensed and ready to end the killing. If he is attempted to be lynched while in this state, he will instead snap and unleash his strength upon all players, tearing apart citizen and mafia alike in a blaze of coffee-scented desperation. In such an instance, he wins, and this is the only way that he can win. If it is voted that he be killed or if he is killed by another means before an attack by the mafia causes him to transform, he still loses as usual. If the mafia attack him again after his transformation, or if he is killed by some means other than the vote at this time, he again dies as normal. After his transformation, Gumshoe will identify him as mafia, and he will be posthumously identified as mafia if he somehow dies in this state.

The Game

This is a game of Mafia like any other, except that the roles are based upon Ace Attorney characters rather than pokémon or TF2 characters or whatever. Sign-ups will take place in this thread and are open until Friday, October 15th or I get eighteen players, whichever comes first. (If especially more or fewer people wish to join, I can always add more or prune a bit. Range of... 12-25, I s'pose.) Once sign-ups are over, this thread will be closed and a new one shortly created for discussion and the actual progression of the game.

My GMing rules aren't terribly different from most:
  • Two+ heals to anyone is an autokill.
  • Diego will be notified once he is activated, and will present as mafia to Gumshoe and should he die afterwards.
  • de Killer will always show up as not mafia.
  • I will always have time for a night poll: boldings in the day are not votes, but nominations.
  • I don't have any inactivity clauses or chiz like that. If you don't put in a night action, you don't put in a night action; it's not randomized.
  • No talking to other players outside the thread, unless you're mafia or lovers of course. (Note that, should the lover marry a mafia member [as she is wont to do], the lover is not allowed to converse with the rest of the mafia.)
  • On that note, no copypastes, printscreens, what have you of official private correspondence between yourself and the Game Master. (that's me.) Let's just have a nice, clean, friendly game of everyone trying to kill each other. :D (You can certainly declare/falsify your role, that's fine.)
  • Keep in mind that flavortext of deaths is not generally indicative of the method of murder.
  • dude this is going to be the /slowest game ever/. Like seriously, I'm gonna be like, "okay, you have forty-eight hours for discussion... at least... and I'll be back by... uh... friday at the latest? :Db" I just don't have access to a computer more than that in my current situation. That doesn't mean, though, that I don't have access to the internet: I can check the game's progress nearly every day, and if some emergency comes up in-game while I can't get to a computer, or if I can't post for... we'll say twice the allotted time it should take, I might see if I can't get an unbiased third party from #tcod (that I can also access) to copypaste my post for me. Just a heads-up, just-in-case.
  • bullet points yeaaaaah
  • Oh, right. So the roles described in this post but not in the mafia rules thread take place during the following phases: Maya and Pearl will choose their dead during the evening phase, and consequently, the following night, perform their adopted night action as usual. Luke and Ron... I guess they choose their alignment/role during "game preparation"? It fits the blurb. Dahlia's choice would happen at the same time as the targeting by Apollo/Klavier. Ema's role-blocking/the taser comes after the inspection, and Trucy's distraction/the megaphone comes last, I guess. Oh, the steak would happen right before the distractions. And the playing cards... would induce the randomness before the inspection, so that it got everyone. Think that covers everything!

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Last edited:
FUCK YES FUCK YES

screw waiting until after I GM for a while, FUCK YES

And this time I've actually played the games so I know who everyone is, le gasp! This can only make it even more fuck yes.

All I remember about the last one was exploding lesbians + I cried when Danni explained who my role was + I stopped caring when I won. But. Yes. Must to play again.

(also hahaha lol I just named the choroneko and baoppu I got yesterday (Kristoph) "Gavin" and "Wocky")

EDIT: wait, a question. Is there supposed to be a lover role? You mention it in the rulings, but, well, there isn't one as far as I can see.

Also, since everyone seems to ask this at some point anyway, can Diego be activated by lethal night actions other than the mafia? By healer clash, for example?

(where did you get that Danniarts I don't remember seeing it why haven't I seen it)

Last edited:
FUCK YES FUCK YES

screw waiting until after I GM for a while, FUCK YES

And this time I've actually played the games so I know who everyone is, le gasp! This can only make it even more fuck yes.

All I remember about the last one was exploding lesbians + I cried when Danni explained who my role was + I stopped caring when I won. But. Yes. Must to play again.

(also hahaha lol I just named the choroneko and baoppu I got yesterday (Kristoph) "Gavin" and "Wocky")

EDIT: wait, a question. Is there supposed to be a lover role? You mention it in the rulings, but, well, there isn't one as far as I can see.

Also, since everyone seems to ask this at some point anyway, can Diego be activated by lethal night actions other than the mafia? By healer clash, for example?

(where did you get that Danniarts I don't remember seeing it why haven't I seen it)

hurpderp how did I miss that I've only been working on this txt for a month. yes Alita Tiala is lover! give me a minute.

Only lethal attacks. Revenge kill, mafia kill, yes; healer clash no.

Danni? haha... That's Zarla. :3

Right, right, Zarla. Derp. Now I feel stupid. Still, I thought I'd've seen that before.

YAY.

I love Godot's role as alien.

I spent the whole time reading it going 'What's Godot gonna be?' I was expecting him to to be a Night Action Blocker, by throwing coffee in someone's face.

Damnit I was totally planning a game like this

Screw it, joining. Mafia looks fun even if it does mean I have to think.

Yeeeah, it seems like Dahlia should be aligned with the mafia. Except then the game is kind of way slanted in their favor, but uh. <_<

I joined! Hopefully this will be awesome. :3

Heee twenty people already! I'll throw in more roles - mayor and vanished, perhaps? And okay Dahlia can be Elise Deauxnim if I don't have to revise the dumb first post. :( Changed in name only~~

I'll keep this up for another day or two, in case anyone else wants to join. The more players, the longer the game and more exciting the discussions! :D

Could you explain Pearl and Mia to me?

The first post confuses me about what is they do.

Brock: Sure! So let's say you're Maya. After I send you your role confirmation tonight, you can either wait to send in the username of who you wish to channel, or just reply saying "I don't care, I'll take the first guy who dies in the morning" or something like that. However that goes, after you send in the name of who you wish to channel, I reply with the name of that role.

If the role was mafia, I introduce you to the rest of the mafia and you take over as boss/grunt/whatever. If the role was variable, you may choose a different alignment/role than the previous owner did. The channeled role is only available to actually be used the night after you choose the name. Okay?

(Note that you probably won't actually be Maya. Or maybe you will. We'll see.)

Okay, so here's how this is going down. The added roles are:

Franziska - mayor (because she did so well last time): Her vote counts twice. Since we're having private votes this time, this player should PM me with their vote as they vote in the poll so I can adjust the results should the votes be so close. (Basically, if the outcome is such like 7-6, with Franziska with the six, it tips to 7-7 and the last player killed is called. If it's a tie, it tips to whichever side she voted for. If the extra vote would be insignificant, it's not noted.)

Lamiroir - vanished: Works just like the clothing box option, with a 50% chance of missing any lethal night action. (Zak Gramarye would have worked just as well, I suppose, but as we all know, Zak Gramarye is a huge jerk.)

Elise Deauxnim - Oracle: RIGHT I changed her back because she's perfect for this role. I haven't played with this role before, usually I just play classic... Oracle allows you to ask any yes/no question to me, God the GM, which I promise to answer truthfully. Examples: "Are both doctors still alive?" "Is the alien activated?" "Has $player_name previously been hit with a lethal attack?" She cannot ask questions that would directly reveal a player's role: "Is $player_name mafia?" "Does $player_name have the ability to heal someone?" Takes place at the same time as the inspector.

In return, since I figured Danni and Butterfree and them had a point, Dahlia gets her haunter role back, but has the win condition of the terrorist: she doesn't know who they are and vice-versa, but she wins when/if they do. o/

OKAY let's get this party starteeeed right now. Closing thread, shuffling roles, writing sending out role PMs! :D

Back
Top Bottom