• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Challenge Board

On the topic of test battles, Vipera Magnifica passed the ref test yesterday, so we'll need a ref and another battler for his test battle, too:

2vs2 Single
Style: Switch
DQ: One week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: None
Terrain: ASB Central Stadium

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There is one advantage to the stadium, though--its proximity to the holodrome grants it access to a full range of simulation options, allowing trainers to trick out their team to whatever extent they like before battling.

There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Other: This battle takes place between a referee and one other member. The referee will use their own team of Pokémon, but the other battler may choose either to use their own team OR choose any six nonlegendary Pokémon with any items and abilities to use for this fight. In the former case, their Pokémon gain experience as normal. In the latter case, they may choose to apply the experience earned by their rental Pokémon, minus one point, to their team in any manner that they choose.

The prizes for this battle are $20 to the winner, $10 to the loser, and $15 to the referee. This battle does not fill a battle slot for the mentoring referee.

I'll be the other battler, if that's okay.
I can take this.

You've got 2 active battles running, and while I'm unsure on Geivasa's test battle(though it's basically counted as well), you've also accepted a battle against Keldeo. So you're full up, Zekrom, sorry :/

Genivasa's test battle was before the change so it doesn't count as 1 of the 3 battles ( i even asked about if Genviasa's test battle counted, it shouldn't count )

if proof is needed let me know so i can provide proof

Genivasa's test battle was before the change so it doesn't count as 1 of the 3 battles ( i even asked about if Genviasa's test battle counted, it shouldn't count )

if proof is needed let me know so i can provide proof

Her test battle does in fact not count, but you have already accepted my challenge, so you have no open battle slots.

...I was waiting for my battles to get reffed and then I realized I technically don't have any ongoing battles, oops???? Who wants to kick my ass

Format: 2 vs 2 double
Style: Set
DQ: 2 weeks
Damage Cap: 50%
Banned/Restricted Moves: Direct healing, OHKOs, Attract, Pain Split, Destiny Bond, Dig, Chills restricted to 3/Pokemon
Arena Description: Rooftop in Saffron City

A decently sized rooftop on your typical apartment building in Saffron City, perfect for illegal, undeclared Asberian battles. It's large enough for any Pokemon to fight comfortably, bar Gyarados, Onix, etc. There's a large, shallow puddle near the doorway for water type moves to draw on, although moves requiring a lot of water (such as Surf) will have their BP halved. Dig is banned, but feel free to upset the neighbours with Earthquake and Draco Meteor and such!

Additional Rules: Only Pokemon with x2 weaknesses are allowed (for example: Scizor is double weak to Fire). NFE Pokemon are preferred, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

...I was waiting for my battles to get reffed and then I realized I technically don't have any ongoing battles, oops???? Who wants to kick my ass

Format: 2 vs 2 double
DQ: 2 weeks
Damage Cap: 50%
Banned/Restricted Moves: Direct healing, OHKOs, Attract, Pain Split, Destiny Bond, Dig, Chills restricted to 3/Pokemon
Arena Description: Rooftop in Saffron City

A decently sized rooftop on your typical apartment building in Saffron City, perfect for illegal, undeclared Asberian battles. It's large enough for any Pokemon to fight comfortably, bar Gyarados, Onix, etc. There's a large, shallow puddle near the doorway for water type moves to draw on, although moves requiring a lot of water (such as Surf) will have their BP halved. Dig is banned, but feel free to upset the neighbours with Earthquake and Draco Meteor and such!

Additional Rules: Only Pokemon with x2 weaknesses are allowed (for example: Scizor is double weak to Fire). NFE Pokemon are preferred, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

it is on like donkey kong

While I'm putting out challenges, here's my next gig battle, which I freaking finally have readied up!

Format: 1&1v1&1 Tag Battle
DQ: 10 days
Damage Cap: 49%
Banned/Restricted Moves: Direct recovery, Pain Split, any moves that instantly faint a battler (Explosion, OHKOs, Destiny Bond, Perish Song, etc.), Attract. Chills are restricted to 7 per Pokémon.
Arena: Spinal Tap Gig

Big bands don't come to Asber so much anymore, what with the countless freak incidents and tendency to cause grievous damage to everything with meteors. We'll have to take what we can get these days. Although, as it seems, we can still land... one of the loudest bands in England, with the exuberance, raw power, and punctuality that'll knock you out and redefine rock n' roll for you -- Spinal Tap! ... At least, this time, nobody can give us grief for not paying attention to the show.

A random song will be chosen and played at the beggining of the match. Each song has a set duration; once that duration is up, another randomized song will begin playing at the end of the round (if there are actions between the end of a song the beginning of the next, they can be flavored as a stupid mishap occouring onstage until the next song can begin). No song will be played twice. Any changes to a Pokémon's ability, moveset, status, etc. will be undone at the end of the song that causes it unless otherwise specified. If all songs are played before the battle ends, Spinal Tap will randomly pick and poorly cover a randomly covered song from Metallica Gig or Metallica Gig II; if the battle is still ongoing when the cover song ends, the gig ends, but the trainers stay and finish the battle.

-Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight (3 actions): Whichever moves are used during the second action of the song, the Pokémon will use again during the third action, even if it will fail. Because tonight I'm gonna rock you tonight I'm gonna rock you tonight I'm gonna rock you tonight I'm gonna rock you tonight
-Gimme Some Money (4 actions): Pound notes, loose change, bad checks, everything! One after the other, once per action, in random order, the battlers will be struck by a load of money that deals 4% physical Normal-type damage on impact. After this song finishes playing, all trainers in the battle (and the referee as well) earn $1.
-(Listen to the) Flower People (3 actions): Grass-type moves and Fairy-type moves all deal 1% more damage and cost 1% less energy. These bonuses increase by 1% after each action (reaching a max of 3% each during the third action), as it's getting truer everyday.
-All The Way Home (2 actions): All Pokémon on the field have 1- Defense and 2- Special Defense.
-Heavy Duty (5 actions): All Pokémon on the field gain the ability Heavy Metal in addition to all others (unless they already have it) and the Steel-type added to the current type combination (unless they already have it).
-Rock And Roll Creation (4 actions): At the first action of the song, all Pokémon are isolated within tall pods, unable to reach other Pokémon with moves or move around much. At the end of each action, one of the pods will bust open and release the Pokémon within, but the last pod to go unopened will not open again until the end of the song. It's possible to break out of or into a pod, but doing so requires three whole actions (this amount is lowered by two if the pod is struck by a Fire-type move beforehand).
-Big Bottom (4 actions): Each Pokémon on the field becomes endowed with a large behind, which is difficult to keep away from attacks, causing them to have 2- Evasion and increasing the critical hit ratio of all offensive attacks by one stage.
-Stonehenge (5 actions): What the- hey! Those measurements are all wrong! For the duration of this song, all Pokémon on the field have their height in feet changed so it's the same number, but in inches, and their weight in pounds changed so it's the same number, but in grams (not kilograms -- grams). They are all considered under effects of Minimize and have 1+ Evasion. They are also in serious danger of being knocked over by a dancing dwarf; each Pokémon has a 20% chance of having that happen at the end of every second action, which is mechanically the same as being hit with a Stomp.

The band members are fair game this time, at least. Hell, if you contribute to Spinal Tap's bizarre drummer death count, I'll personally pay you.

Additional Rules: Sleep will only be successfully induced once against each team (arena effects aren't affected by this restriction and don't trigger it).

And I'll be reffing this. Thread up soon.

Hhhhahaha I have too much free time, so I'll ref Metallica Fanboy vs Ampharos/Eta Carinae (thread up shortly)! And I'll also be the other Trainer for Noctowl's test battle so it can get started, since no one else wants to take it? Dragon vs Sangfroidish take two, I'm ready to get my ass kicked again \o/

And finally, Eta Carinae's challenge here seems super interesting, so I'll ref if anyone wants to take it! (I'm sure I will regret all of this in two weeks but for now I feel greAT)

This is a challenge for Totodile!

Format: 3v3 double
DQ: 1 week
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs
Arena Description: Battle Subway

Since we've both agreed this battle's going to be a trainwreck anyway, why not hold it on a train? There are no interesting gimmicks or effects in this battle, it's just a normal old battle. On a train. Only Pokémon who can comfortably fit in a subway carriage and moves that can physically be used in a subway carriage are allowed.

This is a challenge for Totodile!

Format: 3v3 double
DQ: 1 week
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs
Arena Description: Battle Subway

Since we've both agreed this battle's going to be a trainwreck anyway, why not hold it on a train? There are no interesting gimmicks or effects in this battle, it's just a normal old battle. On a train. Only Pokémon who can comfortably fit in a subway carriage and moves that can physically be used in a subway carriage are allowed.
Challenge accepted!

Here's an open challenge that I've been dying to try.

Format: 3 vs. 3 Single/Double/Triple
Style: See Below
DQ Time: 1 week
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Attract, Direct Heals, Chills limited to 3/Pokémon
Arena Description: Jungle Janitor Jamboree

All is uncomfortably silent for what should be a hive of life. No birds chirp, no primates howl, no wind whistles through the trees. The lone sound comes from you, traipsing through the underbrush, armed with your 10 Pokémon and a dull machete. As you hack through the brambles you begin to shiver as the sun sets behind you. You hastily grab your map, looking at the scrawled words in the dimming light. One area is marked with nothing but a giant red ‘X’: you were told to meet your friends there; it’s a clearing near the edge of the jungle. They’re probably waiting for you, so it’s best for you to hurry. But as you look at the map once more, you again get the feeling you may have taken a wrong turn somewhere along the way. Was that the right banyan to turn left at? Did you really hit the correct bend in the river? With a sense of foreboding you look to another section of the map. The only words written are “DO NOT TRESPASS”.

You jerk your head up as you begin to hear a faint sound, seeping through the branches. You can’t place it, it sounds neither animal nor human. Your curiosity piqued, and your doubts pushed aside (you’re a great navigator, don’t undercut yourself), you begin to move towards the noise. Even as you get closer it is barely more than a whisper, and you still can’t place it. Almost frustrated with your lack of ingenuity, you begin to rush in the direction of the disturbance, possibly against your better judgement. Without warning, you miss a step and begin to tumble down into a ravine. The ravine itself dips downward, carrying your bruised body along with it.

As you come to rest on some smooth rocks, you realize the sound has ceased entirely. Slightly disconcerted, you rise up gingerly to see that you are in a clearing, but not the one holding your friends. No, this is a clearing of legends. Staring out at the ring of people surrounding you and finally understanding the source of the sound, you come to terms with how much trouble you are in. You’ve found them:

The Jungle Janitors.

They stare at you with wide eyes. Though they’ve been lost in the forest for years, they still wear the clothing they disappeared in, no wear and tear present. The only thing that hints to their allegiance is their faces. Each jungle janitor has painted their visage to resemble a Pokémon of some sort, clearly the ones they found in the jungle. One man looks like a Venipede, a woman has the appearance of a Grovyle. A particularly frightening janitor has painted his face like a demonic mask, attempting to imitate the pattern of an Arbok. In each of their hands is a broom, the source of the mumbling din you heard earlier.

You turn in a circle and see that the janitors have surrounded you, there is no escape. If you tried to run, they would show no mercy. No, there was only one way to appease the jungle janitors, and it was with the Pokeballs on your belt. With a gasp, you see one of your friends, one whom you had planned to meet in the safer clearing, tied to a tree, guarded by two custodians. You understand now. The Jungle Janitors love their sport, and like the Ancient Romans they love nothing more than a fight to the death. Locking eyes with your colleague, you both nod. It was never supposed to be this way.

Though the Jungle Janitors can be seen as barbaric, they employ a very unique battling format for their fiestas. Each round is a little different. At the beginning of the battle, each battler selects three “tributes”, their Pokémon to battle, and PMs them to the referee. The first round will be a triple battle to allow each of the janitors to see the tributes in action. At the end of each round, the referee, representing the janitors, will randomly choose which of the 6 Pokémon will fight in the next round. As such, after the first round, each round of the battle can be a single, double, or triple battle. The janitors do have a sense of sportsmanship, so each battler will send out a number of Pokémon equal to their opponent’s each round. Therefore, once one Pokémon has been knocked out, triple battles can no longer take place. An example of this format:

Player 1 uses Pokémon A, B, and C
Player 2 uses Pokémon X, Y, and Z

Round 1: A, B, and C vs. X, Y, and Z Triple Battle
Round 2: B and A vs. Y and Z Double Battle
Round 3: C vs. Z Single Battle
Round 4: A vs. Z Single Battle
Round 5: B and C vs. X and Y Double Battle

No switching is allowed during rounds. When a Pokémon returns to battle after a break of a round or longer, they return with all of the same stat boosts, statuses and severities, any substitutes they made, etc. As a result, the only thing that remains on the field when a Pokémon is not battling is what they did to the arena.

The arena itself is quite basic, a simple forest clearing surrounded by intimidating Jungle Janitors. Night has fallen, so torches have also been mounted on sticks around the arena. The circle of janitors will expand outwards if a large terrestrial Pokémon enters the arena, so as to allow them to move freely. Sadly, there is no water, so Pokémon requiring an aquatic environment to function can’t battle. Any Pokémon that tries to escape the circle will be brutally beaten, treated as an instant KO. The Jungle Janitors don’t obey any Damage Caps.

Experience is handled the same way as it is in double and triple battles; a Pokémon only gets KO experience if they deliver the knockout blow. The referee gets paid depending on how many Pokémon are on the field for each specific round.

Additional Rules: No fully evolved Pokémon.

I'll take this one. (Even though we'll probably end up against each other in the tournament next round!)

I've got a batch of referee test battles to set up. I'll just put each one under a hide bar.

2vs2 Single

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There is one advantage to the stadium, though--its proximity to the holodrome grants it access to a full range of simulation options, allowing trainers to trick out their team to whatever extent they like before battling.

There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Other: This battle takes place between a referee and one other member. The referee will use their own team of Pokémon, but the other battler may choose either to use their own team OR choose any six nonlegendary Pokémon with any items and abilities to use for this fight. In the former case, their Pokémon gain experience as normal. In the latter case, then the experience gained by each rental Pokémon can be directly transferred to a Pokémon in the battler's regular party, but each party Pokémon can only gain EXP from one of the chosen rentals.

The prizes for this battle are $20 to the winner, $10 to the loser, and $15 to the referee. This battle does not fill a battle slot for the mentoring referee.

I'll already be taking on this one as the veteran referee. We'll just need an additional participant.
1vs1 Single

Other: This battle takes place between a referee and one other member. The referee will use their own team of Pokémon, but the other battler may choose either to use their own team OR choose any six nonlegendary Pokémon with any items and abilities to use for this fight. In the former case, their Pokémon gain experience as normal. In the latter case, then the experience gained by each rental Pokémon can be directly transferred to a Pokémon in the battler's regular party, but each party Pokémon can only gain EXP from one of the chosen rentals.

The prizes for this battle are $10 to the winner, $5 to the loser, and $7 to the referee. This battle does not fill a battle slot for the mentoring referee.

Will need both a veteran referee and a regular participant.
1vs1 Single

The prizes for this battle are $10 to the winner, $5 to the loser, and $7 to the referee. This battle does not fill a battle slot for the mentoring referee.

Will need both a veteran referee and a regular participant.
1vs1 Single

I'll already be taking on this one as the veteran referee. We'll just need an additional participant.
I think mine has been removed from the list on the front page, so I am bumping it up.

I think mine has been removed from the list on the front page, so I am bumping it up.

That's because Dragon accepted it, you have to put it up now :P
I guess it doesn't get moved down because the ref is already determined. Just deleting it off outright is a little confusing, though.

EDIT: imma ref Byrus vs Knuddeluff. Thread going up.

Last edited:
well now I know I have the slots for this, so. Open challenge

Format: 3v3 Singles
DQ Time: 10 days
Damage Cap: 45%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Direct Heals, Chills limited to 3/Pokémon, Attract
Arena Description: A Bone Garden

Rather than somewhere far across the Kingdom, reachable through only some daring adventuring, this battle takes place right in an adventurer's backyard--in the middle of their bone garden. Grown from a packet of dragon's teeth, carefully tended, the garden consists of a large patch of skeleton bones, growing from the ground. The irrigation system could be tapped into for a water source, with a bit of effort, but there is no place for aquatic Pokemon here. This isn't a graveyard, mind you, just a simple home garden, with a unique crop.

At the beginning of each round, a skeleton will unearth itself near each Pokemon's current position. There are five types of skeleton, and there is an equal chance of each skeleton appearing to either battler; however, one Pokemon can not roll the same skeleton twice in a row. Identifiable by what they are wearing, these skeletons will spend the round assisting their respective battlers:

1. The Skeletal Warrior, with his rusty sword and shield, will lower the opponent's Attack until the end of the round, as if it had the ability Intimidate. Each action, it will then strike the opponent for a flat 3% damage.
2. The Skeletal Cleric, with his tattered mitre and flail, will strike the opponent with holy light for 2% Fire-type damage each action. At the end of the round, it will bless its battler with 5% HP.
3. The Skeletal Wizard, with his gnarled wooden staff, will strike the opponent with blasts of cold air for 2% Ice-type damage each action. At the end of the round, it will restore 5% energy.
4. The Skeletal Rogue, with his black cloak and pair of knives, will hide both itself, an illusory copy of itself, and its battler under cardboard boxes, effectively creating two Double Team clones for its battler which disappear at the end of the round. These clones can only be destroyed by actual attacks, not simple tricks like rain or looking for shadows.
5. The Skeletal Buddy,with his T-shirt reading "The Weasel," is your best friend. He's got your back. Whether you need to teach your small-town relatives to open their minds, to show an unfrozen caveman how to fit in in this modern world, or to figure out how to get out of jury duty and into the army, he's your man. The Skeletal Buddy acts as a 5% HP Substitute for its battler until the end of the round.

At the center of the garden is a Humongous Buried Skull. If hit by a poorly-aimed attack or a widespread attack, there is a 20% chance that the Skulldozer will unearth itself and bring a world of pain to the offending Pokemon, Skulldozing it for 10% typeless damage.

Additional Rules:
Sleep will only be inflicted successfully once against each team.

Back
Top Bottom