• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Super Monotype Doubles Tournament

Espeon

Mmhm...
So, I promised this would be up before my friend's wedding. Guess that makes me somewhat of a liar. Whoops. Without further ado, prepare yourselves for the most monotype tournament you may or may not have participated in!

The Rules:
  • Battles are to be conducted following the Smogon OU format.
  • Sleep Clause*, Species Clause**, Evasion clause*** and OHKO clause**** shall also be in place. Use of the move 'swagger' is also prohibited.
  • Trainers CAN alter their Pokémon teams between battles provided new teams meet the rules outlined herein.
  • Trainers will battle on WiFi at a fixed level (50 or 100), in a 6v6 battle.
  • All battles will be conducted as double battles.
  • Every Pokémon used must, either exclusively or as a dual-type, be of the GRASS type!
  • Trainers will have until 21st August 2016 (3 weeks) to devise and train their new squad!
  • Battles can and will commence from the 22nd August onwards.
  • Do NOT pass information about other people's Pokémon teams to one another or post information about your battles other than noting a win, loss or draw to this thread!

NOTE: On the use of Mega-Sceptile – Since some players may be using X/Y as their game of choice to battle on, trainers who wish to use Mega-Sceptile must use an alternative Pokémon to Mega-Sceptile in these scenarios, either through use of a different hold item or through a complete substitution of Sceptile/Mega-Sceptile from your team. Use of Mega-Sceptile against other trainers using OR/AS is otherwise completely legitimate.

*Only one Pokémon on the opponent's team may be put to sleep at any given time.
**Multiple Pokémon of the same species may not be used on a single team.
***Evasion enhancing moves (Double team etc...) are prohibited.
****Use of OHKO (one-hit knock out) moves is prohibited.

How To Sign Up and Participate:

Post your interest below, including your friend code AND the game version which you intend to participate on! (Our preferred choices are Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire). Those who do not include their friend code will not be allowed to participate until they amend their application to include said code.

Upon completing a battle, post who you battled against, and whether it was a win, loss or a draw. (And if you feel like it, note down the number of Pokémon still surviving/KO'd for fun!)

Please note that the tournament format is now round robin.

Tournament Participants:
  1. Espeon (ORAS) – 2036-7754-8326
  2. JackPK (ORAS) – 0834-1824-8352
  3. Negrek (ORAS) – 3325-2431-3050
  4. Murkrow (ORAS) – 5043-2956-8927
  5. Equinoxe (ORAS) – 1650-2210-4496
  6. Eifie (ORAS) – [REDACTED]
  7. Stryke (ORAS) – 4270-4466-0102
  8. Doosic Maggon (ORAS) – 1779-0332-0610

Battle Participation

You will have four weeks (until September 18th) to oragnise, complete and post all of your battles in. You are free to battle your opponents in any order and at any time within this limit, so long as the results of your battle are reported prior to the end of the tournament. Please PM your opponents to begin organising battles. If you have a schedule/rota which you wish to post here for when you are available to battle, then please feel free to (and make sure to include your time zone)!

When battles are completed, please make sure that BOTH participants post the results of the battle in this thread. (Win, loss or draw, as well as who you battled). You will only need to battle each of your opponents once, but if you want to battle multiple times for fun then please feel free. Please make sure that the FIRST battle you conduct is the one that you report.

Please ensure that you do not PM other users about anybody else's team! If anyone is found to be doing this they will be disqualified from participating in the tournament.

Winning the Tournament

Wins, draws and losses will each have a numerical total assigned to them. The winner of the tournament is the trainer with the highest points total. Wins will count as a +1, draws as a ±0 and losses will count as a -1. If battles are not conducted within the time limit, there will also be a penalty of -1 for each trainer per battle missed.

Current Points Tally
  1. Espeon – -1 (Battles completed: 5 of 6)
  2. JackPK – -4 (Battles completed: 6 of 6)
  3. Negrek – 5 (Battles completed: 5 of 6)
  4. Murkrow – 0 (Battles completed: 6 of 6)
  5. Equinoxe – 0 (Battles completed: 6 of 6)
  6. Stryke – -4 (Battles completed: 6 of 6)
  7. Doosic Maggon – 4 (Battles completed: 6 of 6)

P.S. If people could let me know whether I've given them too short or long a length of time to conduct all of their battles in, that'd be fab.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man, battles start the day my summer obligations end! Count me in! I will... add my friend code someday, at some time. It takes a lot of effort to get it, okay?!

Awesome! Since you've assured me that there will be ample time in which to conduct battles, I will definitely be entering! (And yes, I definitely think three weeks is a nice amount of time to be able to plan a team and train it up. Not too long, not too short.)

My Friend Code is 0834-1824-8352 and the in-game/3DS name that will sync with that should be David, so don't be confused when that happens (lol).

Ooh, grass mono! I like it!

So is this a bring six-pick four format, or six on six doubles? I've only played the former in wi-fi battles, and I don't actually know if the latter is an option with the games' current wi-fi capabilities, but I figured I'd ask. Also, is there anybody who's going to be playing with X/Y instead of ORAS? I don't think mega sceptile can be used to battle against an XY player, which could lead to problems if someone had one on their team.

Finally I didn't see any mention of prizes, but I'd be happy to donate something shiny, or a hidden ability mon, or maybe an event mon or something. I don't have anything super rare, but I could throw something in the pot, anyway.

Also my FC is 3325-2431-3050

Ooooooh, yeah, I have both X and OR, but I can't transfer between them because I don't have a second 3DS or Bank, so I'm tentatively intending to use X since it looks like more of the Pokemon that appeal to me are available in it.

If that's a problem, hopefully someone who's not participating (so they don't get to see my team in advance) is willing to receive my team in a trade for some trash commons and then trade me my team back into my copy of OR? (Or am I completely missing an easier way to do it? Ugh, I should probably just shell out the measly cash for Bank, shouldn't I...)

Ooh, grass mono! I like it!

So is this a bring six-pick four format, or six on six doubles? I've only played the former in wi-fi battles, and I don't actually know if the latter is an option with the games' current wi-fi capabilities, but I figured I'd ask. Also, is there anybody who's going to be playing with X/Y instead of ORAS? I don't think mega sceptile can be used to battle against an XY player, which could lead to problems if someone had one on their team.

Finally I didn't see any mention of prizes, but I'd be happy to donate something shiny, or a hidden ability mon, or maybe an event mon or something. I don't have anything super rare, but I could throw something in the pot, anyway.

Also my FC is 3325-2431-3050

Shoot, it's been such a long time I've used WiFi battling that I've actually forgotten what the options are. Leeeet's leave this undecided until it's closer to the time. I was intending on it being a full on "bring 6, use everything you've got" battle however, if this isn't possible then bring 4, 5 or 6 and use 4 is totally acceptable.

I'd be happy to help people trade stuff over however, it will give me a huge insight into their team. If there's any chance that a super kind TCoDer who's not participating but has WiFi access could act as a confidential trader to help people in the interim, that'd be fab?

I hadn't really thought about prizes but uh... if people want to contribute stuff then that would also be fantastic? I'm sure I could also find something interesting to transfer to people. :-)

I'll make sure that people note down which game they'll be using to battle on in future also. I totally forgot about the additional mega-evolutions issue.

Last edited:
I just spend ages trying to work out where my friend code was before I remembered it's tied to the console and not the game. I'll be using Alpha Sapphire FC: 5043-2956-8927

Unfortunately none of us will be able to use Alola form Exeggutor :(

I just spend ages trying to work out where my friend code was before I remembered it's tied to the console and not the game. I'll be using Alpha Sapphire FC: 5043-2956-8927

Unfortunately none of us will be able to use Alola form Exeggutor :(

I love Dragon types, but Alola Exeggutor is terrifying.

Last edited:
I'd be happy to help people trade stuff over however, it will give me a huge insight into their team. If there's any chance that a super kind TCoDer who's not participating but has WiFi access could act as a confidential trader to help people in the interim, that'd be fab?
tbh it seems like a lot of hassle to go through just on the account of one pokemon... it might make more sense to just ban mega sceptile, or tell people they have to have an alternate ready for any round against someone using an older game. I mean, unless people are really passionate about keeping it (and I say that as somebody who'd be pretty stoked to play with it myself).

I hadn't really thought about prizes but uh... if people want to contribute stuff then that would also be fantastic? I'm sure I could also find something interesting to transfer to people. :-)
Like I said, just let me know if there's anything you'd be interested in; I don't do serious shiny breeding, so I don't have any, like 5 IV shiny things, but I have a reasonable stable of stuff. Like I don't know if anybody'd be interested in some HA Unova starters? The event for those wasn't too long ago, so probably already has them, but that's one thing I could offer...

I'll be too busy to participate (especially because that would require remembering how to competitive, oops), but I'd be happy to furnish some sparklies as prizes. I have a pretty big selection and can grab a full list if anyone would like to see it, but perhaps limiting it to grass-types would fit the theme of the tourney best? In that case I have vileplume, bellossom, foongus and bulbasaur, in various states of nicknameability; none have particularly good IVs or anything as far as I'm aware, but hey, shiny starter?

(Technically I also have a shiny virizion, although I think it might've been hacked, if that bothers people. I assume that's the case with most pokémon you get off spoofed GTS servers, and iirc I got this while testing one of those out for kicks, so...)

I would also be willing to be an impartial transferer, although banning or requiring alts for m-sceptile is probably simpler.

Might as well enter even though I'm not the most strategically inclined. I *should* have the time since I'm unemployed :P

My FC is 1650-2210-4496.

Also, if non-grass shinies are also okay to throw into the prize pool or something, I probably have some (nicknameable) leftover shinies from giveaways on Svexchange (i.e. place where people give each other eggs that hatch as shiny because of magical matching numbers, so they're not hacked or anything).

I'll be too busy to participate (especially because that would require remembering how to competitive, oops), but I'd be happy to furnish some sparklies as prizes. I have a pretty big selection and can grab a full list if anyone would like to see it, but perhaps limiting it to grass-types would fit the theme of the tourney best? In that case I have vileplume, bellossom, foongus and bulbasaur, in various states of nicknameability; none have particularly good IVs or anything as far as I'm aware, but hey, shiny starter?

(Technically I also have a shiny virizion, although I think it might've been hacked, if that bothers people. I assume that's the case with most pokémon you get off spoofed GTS servers, and iirc I got this while testing one of those out for kicks, so...)

I would also be willing to be an impartial transferer, although banning or requiring alts for m-sceptile is probably simpler.

I'm thinking more about being an impartial trader for people who would want to actually use Mega Sceptilem, or use the ORAS move tutors, but otherwise would be stuck on X/Y. However, forcing people who wish to use Mega Sceptile to find an alternative in the event of facing a player on X/Y seems like the best idea, as I wouldn't want to ban a Pokémon which is otherwise usable in 90% of battles since I think most people will be using ORAS. I shall amend this into the rules of the tournament.

On the topic of prizes, if people are happy to contribute then, why not? A shiny or good Grass type Pokémon seems only fitting given the nature of the tournament!

Alright! I'll put aside some of my extra shinies, might as well put them to good use. :3

I figured at first that I'd be on Y since all my stuff is there, but seems that everyone else is on ORAS. I *could* swap my team to OR if it's more convenient for the rest of you!

I quit my months-old Shuffle session to get my friend code, just for you! I'm 0216-2109-1041 and I'll play with Omega Ruby!

also omg is that thing a Sun/Moon spoiler. take it away >:(

Hrrrng... I probably shouldn't commit to this really, but aw, what the heck! Count me in! Now you'll all see the true power of Carnivine!

Friend code coming soon.

Well, I know zilch about competitive battling, but I do have some pretty good prizes to donate if thats ok: I have a shiny HA Tropius and a couple of HA starters. I'm pretty sure I have other stuff as well, but I don't have my DS on me at the moment, so I'll update the post when I can check.

EDIT:
I can offer
Larvesta w/ Magnet Rise and Morning Sun as egg moves
HA Froakie
Magikarp w/ Celebrate and Happy Hour
HA Chimchar
Shiny HA Tropius
Pokemon 20 Manaphy
HA Porygon

Last edited:
Yeah! You should all keep in mind that I legitimately have no idea how to play this game! :D

Considering that until a couple of weeks ago, I had no idea what "Monotype" was, I think that if I entered the tournament now, I'd be annihilated... but crushing defeat builds character, so why not? My FC is 4270-4466-0102, and I'll typically play with X since all my pokes are there, but if necessary, I can use Alpha Sapphire.

(Guess I got competitive-game homework to do...)

Back
Top Bottom