• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Abbreviations?

Erindor the Espeon

How do you do? Pleased to meet you. I'm Erindor.
I'm relatively new to forums, so I've had some trouble with abbreviations. For example, on the old forums, Ice the Frosty Cat wrote this on my visitor's message wall thing: 'Espeon FTW!' Now, I don't swear, but this is what I thought: 'Espeon F**ks the world?' Knowing that that probably wouldn't be right, I googled 'FTW,' and it came up with some Yahoo! answers thing. I found out that FTW = For the win, which is an exclamation of excitment, saying that this thing is the coolest thing since canned bread.

So, I made this thread for those n00bs that have trouble with internet abbreviations. The one that I am currently confused on is: None currently.

Go ahead, if you have an abbreviation that you need explained, post it!

Last edited:
OOC means Out of Character. Used mainly for when you yourself are speaking. ((Occasionally, this is represented by double parentheses such as these))

Makes sense. So it's saying 'This isn't what my character is saying, disregard it when you think about the story,' only a lot shorter. Got'cha.

I believe that *Shot* is like *Headdesk* which means that the poster is reprimanding themselves, or in some cases, someone is silencing them for rambling on too mu- *shot*

*shot* I think is supposed to imply that poster was shot by some unknown figure, perhaps because said poster recognizes that their message is so moronic and/or annoying that anyone with sense would take a gun and shoot them just to shut them up. *headdesk* is just "oh shit I messed up", something worth slamming one's head into their desk for.

For example, on the old forums, Ice the Frosty Cat wrote this on my visitor's message wall thing: 'Espeon FTW!' Now, I don't swear, but this is what I thought: 'Espeon F**ks the world?' Knowing that that probably wouldn't be right, I googled 'FTW,' and it came up with some Yahoo! answers thing. I found out that FTW = For the win, which is an exclamation of excitment, saying that this thing is the coolest thing since canned bread.

*points to self* same here.

urban dictionary said:
1. *shot*
A tag used by board users when they say something stupid.
Hi! I'm Omochao! I'm here to help you! *shot*

lol= laugh out loud
rofl= rolling on the floor laughing
lmao= laughing my ass off
brb= be right back
bbs= be back soon

That's all I can think of right now...

OBCR = Original Broadway Cast Recording. That one's very important. :D

Uh, game abbreviations are used a lot, so if this is any help to non-gamers:

FF - Final Fantasy
KH - Kingdom Hearts
PW/AA (AA/JFA/T&T/AJ) - Something from the Ace Attorney series
MGS - Metal Gear Solid
DMC - Devil May Cry
ToS/TotA/To[something] - Something from the Tales of series. Probably Symphonia.

...eh.

*headdesk* is something to use when you're frustrated, annoyed, irritated or thinking "That was so obvious! Why didn't I think of that?" except in a different way.

Here's all I know, or rather, all that's in the right part of my brain right now.

(warning: some language)

FTW = For The Win
FTL = For The Lose
OMG = Oh My God
OMFG = Oh My Fucking God
PMG = Alternative for OMG
LOL = Laughing Out Loud
Lulz, Lawl, Lawlz, Lolz = Alternatives to LOL
ROFL = Rolling On Floor Laughing
Roffle = Alternative to ROFL
LMAO = Laughing My Ass Off
WTF = What The Fuck
WTH = What The Hell
FFS = For Fucks Sake
TBH = To Be Honest
TBPH = To Be Perfectly Honest
BRB = Be Right Back

... why not just stop posting random abbreviations unless people are having actual difficulties with it? And if they are having difficulties, they could jfgi. URBAN DICTIONARY IS RIGHT THERE

Lulz, Lawl, Lawlz, Lolz = Alternatives to LOL
not quite. Lulz is specifically defined as "laughter at another one's expense". Kinda like internet schadenfreude. When you hear about "anonymous" or 4chan or /b/tards or whatever "doing it for the lulz", that's what it refers to.

Oh, and because someone too lazy to use the google is bound to ask what urban dictionary is:

urban dictionary

A place formerly used to find out about slang, and now a place that teens with no life use as a burn book to whine about celebrities, their friends, etc., let out their sexual frustrations, show off their racist/sexist/homophobic/anti-(insert religion here) opinions, troll, and babble about things they know nothing about.

Back
Top Bottom