• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Gay Marriage Legalized in NY

Hey, guys, this is the Laughing Cupboard, not the Debating Hall. Please move your debate there.

Let's get back on topic.

this is bollocks
my girlfriend and I are in an opposite-sex relationship
the fact that I possess two x chromosomes does not change that

when you're talking about sex and gender in this context, they're the same, surely????

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to make any of you upset. =(

In the context I was trying to establish:

*Gender: Is determined by characteristics of the brain tissue and has supremacy in all social contexts and interactions. This can be considered 'brain sex', however, in most gender studies, 'brain sex' = gender, '[everything else] sex' = sex.

*Sex: A correlation between a bundle of differences in general body plan and chromosomes of c.99% of the population, however, sex-as-a-universal (and-always-correlating-with-gender is a socially-crafted concept of an actual pattern.

Now, back on topic:

How does this proposal affect trans* people? Are they eligible for marriage now? I know in some states trans* people are completely barred from marriage, and I was wondering if this was the case in New York.

Now, back on topic:

How does this proposal affect trans* people? Are they eligible for marriage now? I know in some states trans* people are completely barred from marriage, and I was wondering if this was the case in New York.

I'm pretty sure that once you've changed the gender marker on your birth cirtificate / ID / however this crap works, then if you want to marry someone of the same gender, that is gay. According to the ~law.

Which means that any relationship I would be in would be queer! Special snowflake right here.

I'm pretty sure that once you've changed the gender marker on your birth cirtificate / ID / however this crap works, then if you want to marry someone of the same gender, that is gay. According to the ~law.
I hope NY doesn't require SRS for any of those changes.

Which means that any relationship I would be in would be queer! Special snowflake right here.

I love snowflakes! Almost as good as frosted flakes! =D

Oh um
sex is the noun
not the verb
we are not talking brains having sex
so it's not very funny at all

Furthermore, 'brain' is not an adjective, but a noun, wherein 'mental' is an adjective, and can be used in said context.

Also: So, who else thinks this is going to get reversed like in California? =/

Also: So, who else thinks this is going to get reversed like in California? =/

Well, the difference here lies in that California legalized gay marriage by judicial order, and NY legalized it by legislation. About half of Californians weren't very happy with not getting a say in the gay marriage decision, so they voted to overturn the order. Conversely, the people of NY elected their representatives, so they indirectly legalized gay marriage themselves. Unless they elect a majority of ultra-conservatives into their legislature in the next cycle (this is NY, people), I doubt it would happen.

I don't think one of the largest states to almost-always vote Democratically would repeal gay marriage legislation.
But just in case I am moving there to get married ASAP after I'm 18. If I have a boyfriend. :p

Shouldn't this be in Serious Business?

Let's just shut up and be happy something so awesome has finally happened.

I only said I wanted an I <3 NY t-shirt... I never meant for this...

I just don't understand any of the arguments that people have against it. When I become President, I swear...

Unless they elect a majority of ultra-conservatives into their legislature in the next cycle...

Laughing_Hysterically.gif

Sorry, just laughing at the thought of that ever happening

(Lol sorry I'm a little late to the "FUCK YEAH" party. :V)

But seriously, this is so awesome! I remember hearing it on the news a few days ago...~ I'm really glad; hopefully some more states will follow suit c:

Back
Top Bottom