• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Darksong vs. Superbird

No problem!

Okay, so maybe, Sunaero, you can perch on the bridge's post to save some energy. From there, I want you to use Hone Claws to prepare for later, and then fire a couple of DragonBreaths. If the enemy protects (on the chance that you can see it from there), go ahead and keep using Hone Claws. And Protect if the enemy tries to inflict a status condition, like paralysis with Thunder Wave or something.

Hone Claws/Protect ~ DragonBreath/Hone Claws/Protect ~ DragonBreath/Hone Claws/Protect

Hmm...I've got an idea. Let's start out with Calm Mind once, both to raise your stats and to clear your head. Then, I want you to use Will O' Wisp...on yourself! On yourself. Synchronize should do the trick from there. Finally, use Refresh on the third action to get rid of that burn and any paralysis those Dragonbreaths may have given you. However, if you can't use Will O' Wisp on yourself then just use another Calm Mind and then Psychic. But if you can't burn yourself with Will O' Wisp and you get paralyzed, then use Refresh that same action, no ifs or buts.

Calm Mind ~ Will O' Wisp(on self)/Calm Mind/Refresh ~ Refresh/Psychic

*As far as I know, paralysis really can't stop an attack that doesn't require movement.

*builds another RNGgodshrine*

Pre-round

Darksong held out her arm and extended her index finger upon which Sunaero landed, mostly sustaining herself, of course. Superbird rolled his eyes and called Neitelo over. They waited for Darksong to finish her commands, and then decided upon a strategy involving something called "Will-O-Wisp". Neitelo had heard of this attack before, somewhere... She could try, even though she couldn't do anything involving fire.

The referee looked at Superbird for a long while, making him uncomfortable, then, seeing as Superbird would not recognize his mistake, took up his place and signaled for the round to begin.

Pokémon

Darksong (XXO)
Active
Aerodactyl
Sunaero
Aerodactyl with ability Pressure
Health:52%
Energy:60%
Condition: Speed +1, Attack +1, Defense +1
Calm Mind ~ Will O' Wisp(on self)/Calm Mind/Refresh ~ Refresh/Psychic

Superbird(XoO)
Active
Natu
Neitelo
Natu with ability Synchronize
Health:37%
Energy:37%
Condition: Attack +5, Speed -4, Defense +3, Moderately confused (20%)
Hone Claws/Protect ~ DragonBreath/Hone Claws/Protect ~ DragonBreath/Hone Claws/Protect

Reserve
Joltik
Elera
Joltik with ability Compoundeyes
Health:60%
Energy:65%
Condition: Mildly burned {1%/action}

Round 15 begin!

Sunaero swooped up from her "perch" and flew steeply to the bridge's post on the North side. She landed expertly onto the cold, weather-polished pole. There, she set to work sharpening her talons. Meanwhile, Neitelo somewhat cleared her confusion and restored order in her head, while raising her mental awareness.

Sunaero couldn't fire a DragonBreath from where she was, so she flew down just enough to deliver one and went back up. Certain chemicals in it reacted with the air, so that the result was an unbelievably bad smell. Neitelo gagged as the chemicals entered her lungs, spreading around her body. She successfully established a link to Sunareo's mind, even though the Aerodactyl was eighty metres away, and stuffed in the feeling of being paralyzed. Then, after breaking the link, she radiated an aura of a style not unlike the moon while her body removed the paralyzing spores from the viridescent beam. That way, she got the best of both worlds.

Sunaero dropped back down and fired another ray of turquoise dragon energy which struck its target, and soared back up before Neitelo could hit her physically. Neitelo, however, had no intention to. Reaching into the Fossil Pokémon's mind, Neitelo seized control of it and inflicted pure pain. Neitelo, with her experience level, couldn't impose much pain, but instilled a strange feeling in Sunaero of being eaten alive, with all of its gory details.

Round 15 end!

Damage and Energy Calculations

Action 1
Hone Claws: 3% energy
Calm Mind: 3% energy

Action 2
DragonBreath: 6% damage, 4% energy
Refresh: 3% energy

Action 3
DragonBreath: 6% damage, 4% energy
Phychic: 12% damage, 6% energy

Pokémon

Darksong (XXO)
Active
Aerodactyl
Sunaero
Health:40%
Energy:49%
Condition: Speed +1, Attack +2, Defense +1, Accuracy +1, Severely Paralyzed (25%)
Hone Claws~DragonBreath~DragonBreath

Superbird(XoO)
Active
Natu
Neitelo
Health:25%
Energy:25%
Condition: Attack +5, Speed -4, Defense +3, Mildly confused (10%), Special attack +1, Special Defense +1
Calm Mind~Refresh~Psychic

Reserve
Joltik
Elera

Notes:
  • No critical hits
  • Natu can't learn Will-o-wisp
  • Psychic didn't lower special defense
  • The first DragonBreath caused Paralysis.
  • I interpreted not being able to use Will-O-Wisp as applicable to "if you can't burn yourself with Will-O-Wisp and you get paralyzed".

Next round:
  1. Superbird commands
  2. Darksong commands
  3. I ref

Thank you. And dang, I am really freaking stupid. I apologize, Neitelo.

Okay. Here's what we're gonna do. Let's use Stored Power a lot, unless your opponent Protects (in which case just Calm Mind.) After two successful hits of that just Chill.

Stored Power/Calm Mind ~ Stored Power/Calm Mind ~ Chill/Stored Power/Calm Mind

Oh... well I made a stupid mistake too; I forgot about Synchronize. Now I really don't have a chance; thanks for trying to cheer me up earlier, Bulbasaur.

Anyway, Sunaero... I'd just forfeit, but I need the money and experience of this battle... so I guess we'll just try our best (which obviously isn't much).

I guess... just use Payback twice, and Chill when the Natu does.

Payback ~ Payback ~ Chill

Pre-round

The two battlers could taste it. The end of the battle was imminent. The flavours were quite different for each trainer, one of sweet victory, and the other of bitter defeat. Each one had put significant time and effort into the battle, and each party (including the referee) was, if not looking forward to the end of the battle, looking forward to the end of battle prizes.

With a big smile, Superbird called Neitelo over, hugged her (making Neitelo feel extremely uncomfortable), and passed on his commands. Darksong did likewise, minus the hug and the victorious tone of the smile. She then burst into tears and held onto Sunaero for support, but still smiled. She balanced herself on the rail, and after a while, Sunaero flew back to her perch on the top of the bridge.

The referee scribbled furiously on his pad, then stopped abruptly and made a call to the another fellow referee information on how to handle a situation. The two trainers looked at each other, each thinking, This can't be good. A while later, the referee put away his cell phone and took out his pen again; after just a few moments of writing, the pen ran dry. He walked to his bag and drew some green ink, then continued his calculations. After what seemed to be forever, he put the cap back on his pen and announced the start of the round.

Pokémon

Darksong (XXO)
Active
Aerodactyl
Sunaero
Health:40%
Energy:49%
Condition: Speed +1, Attack +2, Defense +1, Accuracy +1, Severely Paralyzed (25%)
Payback ~ Payback ~ Chill

Superbird(XoO)
Active
Natu
Neitelo
Health:25%
Energy:25%
Condition: Attack +5, Speed -4, Defense +3, Mildly confused (10%), Special attack +1, Special Defense +1
Stored Power/Calm Mind ~ Stored Power/Calm Mind ~ Chill/Stored Power/Calm Mind

Reserve
Joltik
Elera

Round 16 begin!

Sunaero flew down a bit and fired a beam of darkness towards Neitelo. It struck hard and true, even though she was quite far away, and Neitelo rolled on the pavement before dusting herself off and firing a beam of Psychic power which struck Sunaero as she flew up. Sunaero was steered off-course because of the powerful beam of energy stored, of which just one exceeded the damage cap.

She turned back and fired another beam of darkness, part of which hit Neitelo. Then, she turned back to roost on her pole, but not without another pink psychic ray hitting her, although this one seemed to do nothing of significance.

Neitelo fluttered onto the handrail; after the two powerful but taxing attacks, she was feeling quite tired and could use a rest. She seemed to forget, however, that there was a layer of ice on the bar. She slipped and fell onto the primary vehicle deck. The referee, seeing that, waved his flags to indicate the end of the round.

Round 16 end!

Action 1
Payback: 12% damage, 5% energy (critical)
Stored Power: 25% damage (would have done 30%), 9% energy

Action 2
Attempt at payback: 2% energy
Stored Power: 0% damage (would have done 30%), 9% energy

Action 3
Sunaero's Chill: 9% energy recovery
Neitelo's chilling destrupted by confusion: 1% damage to self

Pokémon

Darksong (XXO)
Active
Aerodactyl
Sunaero
Health:15%
Energy:51%
Condition: Speed +1, Attack +2, Defense +1, Accuracy +1, Moderately Paralyzed (20%)
Payback~Paralyzed~Chill

Superbird(XoO)
Active
Natu
Neitelo
Health:13%
Energy:7%
Stored Power~Stored Power~Confused

Reserve
Joltik
Elera

Notes:
  • The first Payback was a critical hit
  • Sunaero was paralyzed on action 2
  • Neitelo was confused on action 3
  • Yes, I always use my silver (substance and color) fountain pen to write ASB reffings. With green ink, preferably, but if I'm at school, with black ink because I don't bring the bottle of green ink to school.

Next round:
  1. Darksong commands
  2. Superbird commands
  3. I ref

Really? This really stinks. There's no way I won't lose on the next round. I didn't even get to finish off the Joltik! What in the world is going on?

I guess it's time to give up. Just put all your energy into one giant Frustration and Crunch combo; see how that works. If you can, finish off with Dragon Pulse.

Frustration + Crunch ~ Dragon Pulse

All right, Neitelo. How about this...Actually, this situation looks pretty grim.

Stored Power ~ Chill ~ Chill

Pre-round

The tension between the two trainers was unbearable. They glanced at each other with the utmost suspicion (mainly Darksong, as she had the most to gain from winning this round). Darksong whispered into Sunaero's ear and patted her on the back as the bruised and battered bird flew back onto her pole.

Superbird also looked worried, as Neitelo would benefit from an extra experience point. He went up to her and told her to use the tried-and-true strategy of pure power. Neitelo nodded and hopped slowly back to her starting place, and the referee bade the round commence.

Pokémon

Darksong (XXO)
Active
Aerodactyl
Sunaero
Energy:51%
Condition: Speed +1, Attack +2, Defense +1, Accuracy +1, Moderately Paralyzed (20%)
Frustration + Crunch ~ Dragon Pulse

Superbird(XoO)
Active
Natu
Neitelo
Health:13%
Stored Power ~ Chill ~ Chill

Reserve
Joltik
Elera

Round 17 begin!

Sunaero, with all of her pent-up frustration dove swiftly to Neitelo, who didn't have time to react. He kicked, slashed, and bit with hints of dark energy. This was, unfortunately for Neitelo, too much for her, and she simply collapsed to the ground, clearly knocked out. The referee waved his flags and blew his whistle, and dragged Sunaero off of Neitelo.

Round 17 end!

Action 1
Frustration + Crunch: 13% damage (would have done 16%), 7% energy

Pokémon

Darksong (XXO)
Active
Aerodactyl
Sunaero
Energy:44%
Status: Relieved and satisfied at finally knocking out Neitelo
Frustration + Crunch

Superbird(XXo)
Active
Natu
Neitelo
Health:0%
Condition: Knocked out

Reserve
Joltik
Elera

Notes:
  • No critical hits
  • I made the Frustration+Crunch combo 100 base-power (power of Frustration) and Dark-type. I also gave it a 20% chance of lowering Neitelo's defense.
  • I increased the expenditure of energy by one point for the combo.

Next round:
  1. Since Superbird doesn't really have a choice, he need not post to confirm Elera as the next up.
  2. Therefore, Darksong will post commands first
  3. And Superbird orders after
  4. I'll ref.

Okay, I'll lose anyway, but whatever. XD

I guess create a small substitute, not like it will do much, and then use Fire Fang, twice if you can; if your foe protects, create a few clones with Double Team, and if for some reason you can't use Fire Fang on the third action (like due to Disable), use Heat Wave instead.

Small Substitute (10%) ~ Fire Fang/Double Team (3) ~ Fire Fang/Double Team (3)/Heat Wave

All right, Elera, you're out!

Well, it shouldn't be far from here. I want you to use Thunderbolt, please. First time to get rid of the Substitute, and the next few times to defeat your opponent! Switch to Discharge if it gets around to making clones.

Thunderbolt/Discharge x3

Pre-round

Each opponent knew that everything would be decided in this round. This round would produce a winner or a loser, implicitly or explicitly. One party had more chance to win than the other, but both had a chance, and who knew how the RNG's might screw this up.

Not really having a choice, Superbird sent out Elera, who leapt into the arena in an attempt to draw attention to himself. He looked around for the opponent. Sunaero, who was hovering behind him the whole time, gave two taps on his shoulder, and a roar. Elera tried to look unimpressed, but was actually quite scared, and Sunaero knew that. She flew back to her perch majestically, and the referee waited for a minute just to up the tension before calling the start to the round.

Pokémon

Darksong (XXO)
Active
Aerodactyl
Sunaero
Energy:44%
Small Substitute (10%) ~ Fire Fang/Double Team (3) ~ Fire Fang/Double Team (3)/Heat Wave

Superbird(XXO)
Active
Joltik
Elera
Thunderbolt/Discharge~Thunderbolt/Discharge~Thunderbolt/Discharge

Round 18 begin!

Sunaero channeled some of her little remain health into a clone of herself. It flew onto the south end of the support structure of the bridge, where it waited in anticipation of the coming attack. Said attack came a few seconds later in the form of a bolt of thunder. The Substitute promptly flew into the path of the lightning strike and disappeared as soon as it was hit.

Before Elera could finish charging another Thunderbolt, Sunaero swooped down and gave a fiery bite before ascending again, but not fast enough to avoid being struck by the bolt of lightning. It was too much for her, and she dropped to the ground as the referee called a close to the round and, consequently, the game.

Round 18 end!

End of game between Darksong and Superbird

Action 1
Substitute: 10% health transferred to Substitute, 5% energy
Thunderbolt: 10% damage to Substitute (would have done 17%), 6% energy

Action 2
Fire Fang: 14% damage, 4% energy
Thunderbolt: 5% damage (would have done 17%), 6% energy

Pokémon

Darksong (XXX)
Active
Aerodactyl
Sunaero
Health:0%
Energy:35%
Condition: Knocked out
Substitute (10%)~Fire Fang

Superbird(XXO)
Active
Joltik
Elera
Health:44%
Energy:53%
Thunderbolt~Thunderbolt

Notes:
  • No critical hits
  • Fire Fang did not worsen Elera's burn or cause flinching
  • The first Thunderbolt did not worsen Sunaero's paralysis. The second one, I didn't even bother generating a random number for, as it wouldn't have mattered anyways.
  • Good game! I was admittedly nervous, this being my first reffing, and I did notice tons of mistakes retrospectively. Both of you thought hard, all of your Pokémon battled hard, and just a small difference in luck would have changed the game. That said, I do hope the better player won, and I honestly wish both of you enjoyed the battle, its ups and downs, its twists and turns, and, of course, its prizes.
  • The prizes will be as folows: $9 for Darksong, $24 for Superbird, and $15 for me.
  • The experience gained for each Pokémon are as follows: 2 each for Echo, Sunaero, Drillbud, Elera, and Neitelo; and 1 for Prince.
  • I think I'm missing something... I'm not sure what.

Post-game

The wind, which had been strangely absent for the latter half of the battle, started to pick up again. Darksong recalled his Pokémon and, with slow movements, put the ball back in her belt. Obtaining Sunaero had been a lucky occurrence indeed. She was almost going to throw away the fossil, when someone stopped her and informed her of the value of the fossil she was about to rid herself of.

Meanwhile, Superbird petted Elera, roughing up his fur. He then returned him to his Pokéball. He shook hands with Darksong, who had kept smiling during the entire match. They complimented each other on their styles, and the referee went over and congratulated them both on a complete battle which was rare these days.

Superbird walked East, towards the Pinwheel Forest side of the bridge. The referee waved goodbye to him, and an awkward silence ensued between Darksong and the referee. As Darksong prepared to leave, a Pidgey caw'd overhead. It did a whirl in the air, and dove to the lowest part of the suspension cable.

The referee left next. Waving goodbye to Darksong, he went West and into the Castelia City gate where he gave the all-clear for pedestrians and vehicles to cross the bridge. There was a significant drop in waiting commuters, as most had given up and taken the Royal Unova.

Darksong stayed on the bridge a bit longer, people-watching for a while before finally walking to Castelia city.

Last edited:
Eh... okay. Do I have to post anywhere to get the experience and prize as I had to before, or does the referee do this "redeeming" thing I've heard about and everyone gets everything at that point?

I can't say I really... "thought hard." I actually failed pretty badly in this one, and a little luck probably wouldn't have helped much. This was a really stressful battle for me, since I would always worry about how many loopholes were being exploited... one reason I hate commanding first. I also didn't realize that Ferroseed was part Grass-type; I'm not that good with fifth-generation Pokemon yet... so it wasn't just luck. There were a lot of errors on my part. I bet that in not too long, there will be a whole bunch of threads with the "loss: darksong" tag...

I know for a fact that the experience get added on by Negrek when she tags the battle. The prizes, I'd post in the bank.

And don't be so hard on yourself.

Back
Top Bottom