• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokemon Crystalis, a Crystal romhack

surskitty

「にがいのは いやだ」って…
Pronoun
they
I've been working on this off and on for a bit as a pet project, and figure I should link it here! Just in case anyone checks.

Here it is!

It plays on any GBC emulator, and should be compatible with regular Pokemon Crystal save files if you really wanted to use one for some reason. I emulate it on my phone, personally.

The underlying philosophy of this romhack is to leave it playably a main series Pokémon game, simplistic difficulty and all. Encounters are adjusted so that all Pokémon will be available in multiple areas, with as few unfeasibly low appearance rates as possible. As such, there is no intention of releasing a separate document detailing full appearance lists.

Major Changes

So many Pokémon locations and level-up movesets.
Ghost is now a Special type and Dark is Physical.
Poison is super-effective against Bug, just as it was in gen I.
Many pokemon have had their base stats adjusted!
Trade evolutions can be obtained by either using the item required or by levelling up: 28 for alakazam, 36 for machamp, and 33 for golem and gengar.
Absorb is now base power 40, Mega Drain 60, and Giga Drain and Leech Life are 80.
The Fairy type is here! The two damaging fairy moves are Fairy Wind and Moonblast.
Growth and Kinesis now affect stats by two levels.
The moves Captivate and Fake Tears have been added.
Egg moves have been updated! All PCNY event moves should be obtainable, as are egg moves added in later games.
Psywave has been removed and replaced with Silver Wind.

oh wow, i didn't even know poison wasn't effective against bug post-gen 1. weird

out of curiosity why did you choose the levels you did for the trade evos? so they have access to better moves before they evolve or what?

:|a I wanted them to hit their final stages in the same order they hit their middle stages, and I also didn't want to take forever with it. If I picked again, I'd have kadabra -> alakazam at 36, then 42 for golem and gengar and 44 for machamp, but I don't think I actually put much thought into it, haha.

I'd really like to give this a try, but I've been having serious issues finding an emulator that will run Pokémon Crystal... at all? Tried three so far and all crashed at the "select a starter" bit. It happens with a generic Crystal ROM as well, so it's not a problem with the hack itself.

No one else on the internet seems to have this problem, so I'm not optimistic, but I thought I'd at least ask what emulators definitely work for you.

Yeah, that's one of the recommended ones, but I'd really not futz with Wine just to try to run an emulator. =/

Given the fact that all the emulators I've tried crash in the same way at the exact same point in the game, best guess is that there's just something weird about my particular setup that's causing problems. No idea how, since I would expect emulators to be their own self-contained environments, but otherwise I don't know how the problem could be so consistent and yet I wouldn't be able to find anything online. I thought I remembered something from a long time ago about difficulties emulating Crystal because something something the animated sprites, the sprites being what I'm assuming is causing the crash here (since the game tries and fails to display them when choosing the starter), but I haven't been able to scare up anything on Google about it, so possibly it was a mirage.

Probably just going to have to write this off until I get back to my other laptop, alas.

Back
Top Bottom