• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

!!!!!Ultimate Happy Rainbow Smiles Sprite Contest!!!!!

Thanks Shiny :) Though I still think RR's is better. It has better colours, concept... Yeah.

Commentary!

Zulo said:
Like what? That's about all there is of Shaymin? (I'm not questioning the judging, I just like to know how to fix my sprites =)
Hah, mixing is surprisingly tricky when you take it past the recoloring-and-copypasting aspect. See, in this case, to improve your sprite you need to simplify it. And since there are so few copypasteable parts of Shaymin, this requires you to scratch. Simplify the face, so it looks more like Shaymin's, or just do the eyes. Remove the armorstuff on the legs and just make them long and white and ending in a little paw. Or extend the 'fro so it goes all down its back! And yes, for the sake of the contest, you'd have to edit it so heavily that you could hardly see the Infernape under there. But for a mix, you'd only need to scratchedit a little.

Shadowstar said:
Do we at least get a particapation award?
Yes, you do. If you weren't paying attention, the review you get is your reward. Because I'm not about to tack twelve sprites onto individual trophies with "honorable mention." Besides, trophies are just about the most useless reward you can ask for; what can you do with them, besides put them in your sig? No, valuable critique (which is what I hope this is) is far more helpful. Follow it, and you can improve your spriting. :3 And that's why you can always ask me for more review.

RainbowRayquaza said:
And yeah, the eye is shut to look like it's hibernating.
Ha, that was a lucky guess on my part. xD It makes me happy to know my assumption is true. :3 My crit still stands, though... it would look better with eyes open.

Caazper said:
mmm awesomsuace
Most meaningful post ever.

Anyway, sorry for the delay on your second-round scoring. It's coming, it's coming, I just wanted to get this done first. Continue that discussion, I'll start typing up your scores~

Most meaningful post ever.

i thought so to...

anyway i think it might be a tie between RainbowRayquaza and bukohpon...(how do you spell that i forgot to c&p) if a tie is possible in this contest. i should have joined in, but i dont even know what a shaymin is. i need a DS, and D and or P. :(. i like this thread's name, its fun!

Awesomesuace!
haha that totaly beats Googensburger.

Judging - #7 through #12... Oh, uh, 13.

7. Fluffy the Eevee
picture.php

Originality: 8/10
Flow: 2/5
Quality: 3/5
13/20
I wish I gave you guys points for effort. :< As with ChaosTres, I'm thrilled that this contest gave you the opportunity to outstep your boundaries and try something new. And the good news is, this is a fairly decent scratch, but for a few things. The first and most prominent is: it's too small. Although if you ask me, small and precise is better than big and sloppy. You just need to keep doing sprites like this until you feel more confident and can make it larger. The other thing is that, besides the flower, this could have been an Eeveelution. Like I said. Those things are too dang easy to sprite. But anyway, it's a pretty good sprite, and I hope you'll make more sprites like this in the future. =D

8. Hikari Nijino
picture.php

Originality: 4/10
Flow: 3/5
Quality: 1/5
8/20
The fourth and (thank goodness!) final mix. This is the same as Mewtwo's, I swear, the exact same, with the added disadvantage of being jpeged. I'm not going to say anything more about that... okay, I will: I specifically requested that you not do that. >.< You tell people "don't press this button unless you want to ruin your sprite" and you know what? They press it anyway. Uh, so. This mix is terribly uncreative, having nothing of Shaymin but the flowers... what the heck. Just look at Mewtwo's comment. I don't have the energy for this.

9. Roxxor
dpmfa492ShayminforcontestTCoD.png

Originality: 7/10
Flow: 1/5
Quality: 1/5
9/20
This made my day. xD Really, it did. Especially the little open mouth. But, um. It's humorous, but... it's really not a very good sprite or concept, by any standard. :/ But you're new to spriting, as you said (I would reccommend you read a couple of tutorials and practice, because that's the only way to improve ^^). So here's my advice: don't use that pallette provided for you on the bottom of the Paint window. It is bad; the colors alwaysalways clash, and... uh, don't use them. Just customise your colors or steal them off of other sprites. Also, focus on shading according to the shape. A cylindrical body such as this one here would not have shadows on its corners; it would follow the shape of the body. You can only get better with practice. :3

10. Counterstrike
darkmin1.png

Flow: 1/5
Quality: 2/5
10/20
...You know, once you've critted one first scratch, you've critted 'em all. :/ But that's the beauty of contests; so many people go beyond their normal routines. It just makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. x3 Now, this... it's quite creative, and it has a nice design, I think. You're missing a lot of specifics of scratching, however. You anatomy is waaaay-- I mean seriously, waaay off. I can't quite tell what feature is what. But that was how my first scratches were, too. ^^ My advice to you is the same as it is to everyone: read tutorials, practice, and enter the next contest!

11. Bakuphoon
Shayminotherforme.png

Originality: 9/10
Flow: 5/5
Quality: 4/5
18/20
Wow Baku. o_o You've got a huuuge fanbase there. And, as predicted, you tied with RainbowRayquaza, so now it's up to me to choose among the two which one is most deserving of the first place award. (The only problem with this is that the winners are so good at spriting usually they don't need my sprite request. :/ So what can I do?) But, um. Nitpick time. My primary irk with your sprite is: you didn't follow the challenge. Exactly. The challenge was to choose another type and make a Forme for Shaymin based on that, but you have no other type there-- it's just titled "other Forme." There's where you got your point off on design. And quality. Your shading, especially on the fluff on the back, isn't coming from the right direction sometimes. And the mouth irks me, because it looks like lipstick. But all in all, a very solid sprite, worthy of placing for sure. ^^

12. Xenon
ScratchShaymin.png

Quality: 3/5
13/20
Actually, when I mentioned people could use bases, the Pokemon I pictured them using in my mind was Growlithe. And it's a good choice for a base, with an interesting yet easy-to-sprite pose. I just wish you'd changed the markings a little, like maybe making spots instead of stripes and giving it white paws, but it's all up to you. What bothers me actually is the head, which is scratched, and there's an obvious difference in quality. You just need to work on your scratching, and you're almost there. Not top material, but good just the same.

And don't forget 13. ILike2EatPiez
ShayBlazeForme.png

Originality: 10/10
17/20
If you guys hadn't noticed, I'd been saying that there were twelve entries for a while, but when I counted them one last time, I suddenly realized that I had miscounted all along and there were in fact 13. xD Whoops. Uh, so, this sprite. I think it's the dark horse of this contest-- nobody really noticed it in the thread, from what I can tell, but it's actually a solid sprite with a nice design. :3 The Nidoran used as a base, rose tail, and Slugma ears flow well, and I was holding my breath for someone to do a fire forme. Your problems, though... they lie in the shading (that's your base's problem, but I would increase the highlight on the arms and legs if I were you) and the fact that you have a small base and some of the details, especially the ears, create clutter. But it's a wonderful entry, and I wish more of them were like this. xD Top three material? We will have to see!

---

Judging is finished! Give me another post to let me catch my breath, and then you'll get your placings!​

You're right, the fire one didn't stand out at all!

And I have a suggestion- why don't you let the audiance take a vote on which of the two should win?

11. Bakuphoon
Shayminotherforme.png

Originality: 9/10
Flow: 5/5
18/20
Wow Baku. o_o You've got a huuuge fanbase there. And, as predicted, you tied with RainbowRayquaza, so now it's up to me to choose among the two which one is most deserving of the first place award. (The only problem with this is that the winners are so good at spriting usually they don't need my sprite request. :/ So what can I do?) But, um. Nitpick time. My primary irk with your sprite is: you didn't follow the challenge. Exactly. The challenge was to choose another type and make a Forme for Shaymin based on that, but you have no other type there-- it's just titled "other Forme." There's where you got your point off on design.
Yeah I know ^^; I couldn't manage to think of another type for it :[ But It's still another forme of it :D?
And quality. Your shading, especially on the fluff on the back, isn't coming from the right direction sometimes.
I had problems with that... And it was also supposed to be grass but I didn't manage to make that properly either :/
And the mouth irks me, because it looks like lipstick.
I know ;.; I just couldn't make it right :(
But all in all, a very solid sprite, worthy of placing for sure. ^^
Thank you!

Boldyboldyboldy bold.

That was actually my second complete scratch I ever made. And it really was an Eeveelution at first, but I edited it a little so that it looked Shaymin...ish. But, thanks for the critique anyway. I really enjoyed this. ^_^

ShayBlazeForme.png

Originality: 10/10
17/20
If you guys hadn't noticed, I'd been saying that there were twelve entries for a while, but when I counted them one last time, I suddenly realized that I had miscounted all along and there were in fact 13. xD Whoops. Uh, so, this sprite. I think it's the dark horse of this contest-- nobody really noticed it in the thread, from what I can tell, but it's actually a solid sprite with a nice design. :3 The Nidoran used as a base, rose tail, and Slugma ears flow well, and I was holding my breath for someone to do a fire forme. Your problems, though... they lie in the shading (that's your base's problem, but I would increase the highlight on the arms and legs if I were you) and the fact that you have a small base and some of the details, especially the ears, create clutter. But it's a wonderful entry, and I wish more of them were like this. xD Top three material? We will have to see!

Wow... I wasn't exactly expecting it to be as good as you made it sound! But I see what you mean about the shading and clutter, now that I look back at the sprite. This critique should help out a lot for my future spriting, actually! Thank you!

No. RainbowRayquaza and I tied :D So Involuntary Twitch will decide who wins first place.

I kind of prefer Rainbow's now. I mean, creativity wise. But I still like Baku's!

Back
Top Bottom