• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Coalition Government: Good or Bad?

Icalasari

YAY! NEW AVATAR! :D
If you have been following Canadian politics, then you would know that the Liberals, the NDP, and the Bloc Quebecious are forming a coalition government if the Governor General allows it (She may force another election instead)

You can guess the ideologies of the Conservatives and the Liberals, but for those a little less familiar with Canadian politics:

NDP - Stands for New Democratic Party. They are a bit of a middle ground party
Bloc Quebecious - A separatist party

Now, I am curious. What does everybody - Canadian and non-Canadian alike - think of this? Do you think it is the right move, or do you think that it is completely asinine?

I think the whole thing is stupid. The coalition government plans to prevent further oil sands development. Now, that may sound fine, except for one thing:

It is the only thing keeping Canada from going into an out right economic spiral

The other thing is that it SMELLS of Stephan Dion trying for one last power grab. He would be the leader of the coalition government. He was nearly kicked out of his own party. That right there should tip you off to how bad this could turn out. And the the Bloc being involved makes things go from bad to worse

I'd contribute but the only thing I know about Canadian politics is that I don't like Stephen Harper.
But if the coalition aims to stop the petrol industry from destroying beautiful Canada then it's a-okay with me.

The Netherlands only ever has coalition governments...it depends on what the coalition stands for and who are IN IT.

We've had a few coalition governments here in Ireland, we have one right now. Depending on the party combination it can be good, right now we've got Fianna Fáil, Green and the PDs (well, they're disbanding now) plus a few independents and it's really gone to shit this year with the budget. But previous coalitions have generally been good. It was a coalition that declared us a Republic and got us into the UN and EU.

Coalition governments are vastly preferable to two party (or virtual two party, a la the UK) systems. Having opposing opinions within the government is definitely a good thing.

s/Quebecious/Québecois/ig

I don't much like Dion either but he's a fuck of a lot better than Harper, and he wouldn't exactly have megapower :V also the NDP are pretty liberal; they're not really in the "middle"
also sticking the label "separatist" on the bloc and leaving it at that doesn't tell a lot
plus people can look it up themselves
this only looks good to me ?_? everyone here is making a gigantic deal about it and I don't know why

I really don't know enough about it to give my opinion; my newspapers are nothing but Conservative propaganda on this issue (RAWR STEPHANE DION JACK LAYTON AND GILLES DUCEPPE ARE EVIL), although out of said propaganda I notice one thing I can actually understand:

If Harper can prorogue Parliament (which means to temporarily suspend it), then the people will get to have a say in the issue, which is pretty much exactly what the NDP/Lib/Bloc (hereby to be named LAYDUCEPPION, EVIL ROBOT FROM SPAAAAAAAAAACE) want to avoid.

Back
Top Bottom