• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Zac Efron to star in Hollywood remake of Akira

Re: Zac Effron to star in Hollywood remake of Akira

i hope not. keanu reves as spike, no problem, zac effron as light, no problem, but what are the smoking to think he would be even mildly suited to this role. (i havn't seen akira yet, my dad is still not letting me borrow anime until i give him back his lupin the 3rd dvd, the one directed my miyzaki.) he doesn't even look like Kaneda. make it a japanese actor. or, better yet, have directors who have actualy seen the film.

I've always been a fan of things done within the country they originated. There's recently been a remake of the Swedish book-turned-film Let the Right One In, which I absolutely adored. The new remake puts it all in America, which I think loses a lot of the chilling atmosphere Sweden offered and takes it away from it's roots. I dunno, maybe it's because I don't see why America has to base everything in America? Urgh, just a personal opinion of mine.
The worst part is that it will be set in New Mexico, which is just about as un-Sweden as you could possibly fucking get. If they wanted to even try and recreate the Scandinavian winter depression feel you get from the book, they could at least have gone to Wisconsin or something.
I don't understand the need for a remake at all since a perfectly good film was made two years ago but ok Europe just isn't good enough, totally get it.

I've always been a fan of things done within the country they originated. There's recently been a remake of the Swedish book-turned-film Let the Right One In, which I absolutely adored. The new remake puts it all in America, which I think loses a lot of the chilling atmosphere Sweden offered and takes it away from it's roots. I dunno, maybe it's because I don't see why America has to base everything in America? Urgh, just a personal opinion of mine.

They're also remaking The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I have no idea how that's going to work, I imagine it'll be toned down significantly.

Though I hear Let Me In is actually annoyingly good. Anyone seen it?

They're also remaking The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I have no idea how that's going to work, I imagine it'll be toned down significantly.

Though I hear Let Me In is actually annoyingly good. Anyone seen it?

From what I've heard from critics it is good, but it pales in comparison to the original. So I'm not going to bother with it. And I don't even know...would they have kept in the part about Eli originally being a boy? It was more important in the book than the movie but it was still a notable point and really spoke about Oskar, as he was willing to ignore that entirely for Eli's friendship. But in the new version I know that Eli's character is now called Abby...

I don't understand the need for a remake at all since a perfectly good film was made two years ago but ok Europe just isn't good enough, totally get it.
but don't you get it, how can we be expected to read in the cinema? only Communists and homosexuals like subtitles, right?

And as for Zac Effron being Light? Not touching with a pole, especially after seeing the Japanese Death Note movies.
it's more a joke about the fact that they look eerily similar rather than an actual endorsement of a remake.

(i havn't seen akira yet, my dad is still not letting me borrow anime until i give him back his lupin the 3rd dvd, the one directed my miyzaki.)
your dad is AWESOME can we trade please? :(

@blastiose (i'm doing it like this cause i havn't figgured out how to use quote right)
hehe. no. mine.

And as for Zac Effron being Light? Not touching with a pole, especially after seeing the Japanese Death Note movies. I honestly do feel that so many things get lost in translation, as you try to rewrite the story around a culture it wasn't written in.

It's probably because it's easier to shoot for; why go to a country thousands of miles away, when they can set it somewhere closer(never mind substituting a similar-looking location, and just keeping the setting in the original)?

Honestly, though, I think that in Hollywood, they just assume taking a story and setting it somewhere in America somehow makes it easier to understand for their audience. For example, certain locations may not be familiar to Americans. It's kind of stupid, frankly.

I just have the sinking feeling this is going to suck. Whenever they try to remake films from other countries, the results have been...not good.

Back
Top Bottom