• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Experimentation

Butterfree

Still loves Joltik, though!
Staff member
Heartache staff
Pronoun
she/her
In a moment I'm going to try turning off the plugin system altogether and seeing if that does anything for the server busy errors. I've tried disabling one plugin at a time before, but this seems like a simple way to see once and for all if we can fix this without moving servers.

So the mafia, etc. will stop working for a bit. Don't be alarmed. They'll be back online later.

EDIT: Nope, the busy errors continued even with no plugins.

The only thing these errors mean is that a lot of people are accessing the forums at the moment. The fact you're getting on right now doesn't mean the problem has been fixed or that anything is different - it just means there's fewer people on. (Same reason why it's useless to tell me about it in the guestbook every time you're not getting on.)

Oh.

I don't get on quite often, but it usually clears within twenty minutes. This one took a few hours. So I thought that it was perhaps a different reason. Obviously I was wrong.

Why are things so different now? is it because we have more active members than a few years ago, or has something else changed? :o I forget if we're still on the eeveeshq server or not.

Does the member threshold change?

I mean, I can't view how many people are when the server's busy, but I've had it busy when there's probably 50 people including guests before a two minute refresh and not busy when there's more than 100 people in the past month.

It's not about the people per se, but about server load - it shows the message when, for whatever reason, there's a certain amount of load on the server. Before the "Server is busy" message, there were random blank pages or 500 errors when it couldn't cope with all the database queries; with the message, it just shows that if the server is so and so busy instead of trying to make more queries, to prevent it from getting to the point of errors. The only thing that has changed was turning on a setting that activates that message, when the 500 errors were happening a lot.

Was there ever a connection between large threads and server loads, or was that something people made up to stomp down on forum games?

If there is a connection, could large visitor message conversations have the same effect? I turned off visitor messaging on my profile a long while ago because I'm fairly certain my massive conversation with Mike (I'm not blaming you, Mike, I found it entertaining, it's just the sheer amount of them is ridiculous!) was causing 500 errors maybe a year and a half ago. Maybe those errors were happening anyway but from my point of view it seemed to happen whenever I viewed my visitor messages.

Was there ever a connection between large threads and server loads, or was that something people made up to stomp down on forum games?

If there is a connection, could large visitor message conversations have the same effect? I turned off visitor messaging on my profile a long while ago because I'm fairly certain my massive conversation with Mike (I'm not blaming you, Mike, I found it entertaining, it's just the sheer amount of them is ridiculous!) was causing 500 errors maybe a year and a half ago. Maybe those errors were happening anyway but from my point of view it seemed to happen whenever I viewed my visitor messages.

Nothing like that was ever confirmed on tcod, I think, but the MSPA Forums have thread restrictions apparently for that reason. I'd have to ask somebody there, though.

When Kat contacted the web server guys, they seemed to think it was about overlong threads, but we kept getting 500 errors even after threads started to get closed/deleted after a thousand pages, so we ended up concluding that didn't actually seem to be it.

experiment: shut down the forums, then reenable them, forum by forum, to see if that helps any :DDD ?

starting with read! and site discuss and web h&d and asb and wfl ofc

(this would be ~great idea~, yes)

reset the forum again please

(by that I mean fresh install so I don't have to see years-old posts from my old accounts when I was a shithead)

(no seriously there's a post in there somewhere about how I think feminism is anti-men oh my god)

reset the forum again please

(by that I mean fresh install so I don't have to see years-old posts from my old accounts when I was a shithead)

(no seriously there's a post in there somewhere about how I think feminism is anti-men oh my god)

you know you could... probably delete those posts (soft-delete, anyway) if they're that old if you don't want to keep seeing them. :o i don't think anyone would object to that.

Photo Finish said:
hey now, it's not like only threads from forum games were deleted. :/

you know you could... probably delete those posts (soft-delete, anyway) if they're that old if you don't want to keep seeing them. :o i don't think anyone would object to that.
I think I randomized my passwords every time I left in a rage. :/

burn it to the ground imo :3

(guys i am pretty sure that is not actually happening)

Back
Top Bottom