• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Suggestion Box

Negrek

busy dizzy lazy
Staff member
If you have an idea that you'd like to see implemented in the ASB, post about it here for discussion. Alternatively, weigh in on a proposal someone else has already posted here. If enough people like an idea, it may be put into effect. Propositions for new League policies may also be posted here for discussion if I want input on them before giving them a try.

Um, at the old forums we had like a thread where people just posted arena ideas? That was always useful.

I never saw anybody actually use one of those for an arena, though. Except for maybe twice. Excluding myself when I was feeling way too lazy to come up with new ones for the mock battles, which should no longer be a problem.

Long story short, though, if people want it back I'll remake it; at the moment, though, I'm not feeling particularly inclined.

Would going by the behavior of attacks and other things of that nature used in Pokemon Special be acceptable? Because Pokemon Special is awesome. And the whole thing with Yellow having Red's Pika learn how to surf using SUBSTITUTE was epic. Plus... pretty much everything else.

I've only ever read up to the beginning of G/S/C in that manga, and I'm blanking a little on the various differences in moves it shows. If the change is primarily aesthetic, then it's no big deal. Something more major, though, and you would probably be best turning into a signature attribute, whereby whatever pokémon uses an altered form of a certain move because of some special training or something.

Noted.

[shakes fist] Foiled again! and I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling kids

Only major difference I can think of offhand - I'm only familiar with up to GSC, actually - is that a substitute can repel water and ignore energy fields. I seem to recall Red using Pika in order to get past some Barriers guarding the Silph Co.

I'd probably have to reread some of the manga before being able to say much with authority on the subject (not that that's entirely a bad thing...), but it sounds as though in that case you could probably make some kind of altered substitute attribute or maybe a signature move that would act similarly in that case.

I also do remember hyper beams like totally destroying Vermillion, which is a *slight* power difference from the way we play it here, but I'm not sure that city-destroying signature attributes would be too approvable.

*blink* Well, a keystone's not an official item... I mean, I could make something that would confer a bonus, but I don't really see any reason to do that at the moment, much less for spiritomb, rapidly becoming the most-abused pokémon of the new league.

Um, at the old forums we had like a thread where people just posted arena ideas? That was always useful.

I'd be stalking this, if it gets remade/made. I suddenly have a bunch of ideas for arenas stalking me... I'd want to see it. Late reply is late.

I also like that idea; It would be much easier to get an interesting arena for a battle.

Also, since there's the Dex Registry, custom attributes, custom attacks, ect, why not something for custom items?

Same answer I gave before on the arena thing; people always seemed eager enough to post their arenas and add them to the archive, but as for people wanting to use stuff other people had made... it didn't really happen. But if you really want it back, sure.

Also, since there's the Dex Registry, custom attributes, custom attacks, ect, why not something for custom items?
The customizable elements of ASB are always very difficult to judge in terms of their brokenness, and mistakes can be made. Items, though, are even harder to judge than what you listed, as they don't affect a single individual or species of pokémon, but which can be used by anything and transferred between pokémon even in the middle of battle. Therefore, you have to consider not only how an item would affect one pokémon, but how it would affect every pokémon. This is why item effects tend to be so minor and generic; this is also why business-distributed body or move mods tend to be either relatively weak, restricted, or require individual approval. The idea of items is much less personalization and more utilitarian: they provide a small battle advantage and have the benefit of being usable by anything on your team, without adding much by way of "customization" to that pokémon. If a user were to be able to create all their own items, it would probably be difficult to make this distinction clear.

Also because it would be difficult to regulate the number of items a user could produce, and I don't want people filling up their PC's with a bajillion custom items. Items are supposed to cost.

people always seemed eager enough to post their arenas and add them to the archive, but as for people wanting to use stuff other people had made... it didn't really happen.

I know I would definitely use them in challenges.

I don't know if there's a place to do this already, but I think a place to just give people gifts for just because would be nice. Might be a little hard to make sure people don't abuse it though...

You can do that by abusing the Black Market.

Just don't do it too often or I'll yell at you.

What if, by using the EXP points a fully evolved/unevolvable pokemon gains, you could buy/create special items especially for that Pokemon? Like Croagunk's Cauldron on PMD2, where you put in two or three special items and get a new one?

As I said before, I'm pretty against user-created items at this point. If it were going to be something that could only be used by that pokémon, I feel that this would lead to using the item slot to essentially get a "free" move or body mod by creating items that would, for example, allow a pokémon to use ember or increase their speed by two levels or something.

Aah, good point. I guess, what with the signature moves/abilities and body mods, there's already a big enough chance of powerplay.

Back
Top Bottom