• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[TOWN WINS] ASB Halloween Mafia

Re: [D4] ASB Halloween Mafia

If you insist, I guess I'll have to make a full claim.

The flavortext in my role PM suggests most players are trainers, yes? I am a Zoroark, and my role is a variation of the Bomb.

When I am attacked in the night I attempt to retaliate against the attacker(s) (my role PM specifically mentions it works against multiple attackers; maybe there's a vigilante?). This retaliation isn't infallible though, it only has a 50% success rate the first time it triggers, which brings me to my secondary ability.

My Disguise essentially gives me a one-time Bulletproof, disrupting all kills made against me that night (again, it specifies that it works against multiple kills actions), but the shock of being attacked keeps me from going all out. Any attackers on later nights will find me undisguised and prepared to take them down with me.

I'd rather have had the Mafia stumble upon me accidentally, but with a pair of redirectors I think we can still make this work.

Disguise is Mimikyu's ability, not Zoroark's. Zoroark's ability is Illusion.

And also, does anyone else think this role sounds way too OP to be town? It kind of sounds like a third-party role to me. If I'm getting this right: survives all kills the night of the first kill attempt (so more powerful than bulletproof), and has a 50% chance for each attacker to kill back that night, and becomes a regular bomb after that?

The sign-up thread says "This will be a simple game using standard roles," so this roleclaim is just kind of bizarre to me.

Disguise is Mimikyu's ability, not Zoroark's. Zoroark's ability is Illusion.

I was using uppercase to put the word in emphasis, not naming the ability (which isn't directly named in my RPM, anyways).

For my own part, my role PM doesn't give the role a flavor name (it's just the name of the role) but the subsequent flavor does imply "ASB participant".

Interestingly enough, I wasn't given a proper role name, I was labelled as a Zoroark and then given a description of what I do. I had to go look up the closest approximation to try to name it myself (and found the role of Bomb, then went and double checked that it was only attackers that came under fire and not just anyone who happened to be touching me that night)

As for the power of the Bulletproof, I'm guessing that either 1) that's just how Negrek tends to run the Bulletproof affix and the 'multiple attackers' bit is just included in all of their games, or 2) it's there specifically because we have multiple killers and they didn't want to try to figure out the pita that could be how multiple kills in one night interact with my role.

... I thought I'd read that ZM would be unprepared to perform additional counterattacks after the first go. An infinite use bomb that's guaranteed at least two explosions... in a setup that already has at least two protective roles running around... yeah, I'm very skeptical, even beyond the issue of this definitely not being a standard role. At best, ZM's misunderstanding his role PM; at worst, he's making this up in a bid to make himself seem too valuable to lynch.

As much as redirecting to a bomb would be a nice toy to play around with, I think we have enough toys that we can actually reasonably trust in this townsfolk playpen. Zero Moment

Didn't you already roleclaim that one time on telegram when you were "hypothetically" asking about a rational way to curb the risks of healer clash?
Please don't discuss the game outside the game thread unless your role specifically gives you that ability. The lack of communication between players who aren't granted the ability is kind of the point of the game, and it's also hella unfair to anyone who might not be aware of or able to participate in whatever non-thread space you're discussing it in to not be privy to any information that comes up in those sorts of discussion. If I hear about someone doing this, I will modkill them. If you witness someone doing this, please let me know so I can kill them. Thanks.

In any case, I'm pretty high on time zones right now and don't actually have any idea when the discussion phase was supposed to end. Since it looks like there's still the potential for discussion and fewer than half the players have voted, I'm going to gives 24 more hours for discussion, at which point night will finally fall again!

Please don't discuss the game outside the game thread unless your role specifically gives you that ability. The lack of communication between players who aren't granted the ability is kind of the point of the game, and it's also hella unfair to anyone who might not be aware of or able to participate in whatever non-thread space you're discussing it in to not be privy to any information that comes up in those sorts of discussion. If I hear about someone doing this, I will modkill them. If you witness someone doing this, please let me know so I can kill them. Thanks.
That wasn't an actual game discussion folks were having, mind, just general mafia talk, which I am now retrospectively snarking at. Still, tone on the internet and all, the confusion is understandable.

The number of leads appears to be shrinking, and there's a sort of nervous energy in the air as the townsfolk mutter to each other, trying to figure out what's going on. Finally, Zero Moment is accused, and despite his vigorous defense, he can't convince anyone of his innocence. A zoroark, in their town? Passing as a human? Preposterous.

Of course, when the scrum is finally over and Zero Moment lies dead upon the ground, his illusion evaporates to reveal the truth...

Zero Moment is dead. He was a Pokémon.

Seventy-two hours for night actions.

To clarify, I absolutely did not roleclaim or softclaim or attempt any sort of veiled "hint, hint, here's my role"; I went out of my way to state this had no relation to the current game and was just a game-theoretic problem I happened to be thinking about. No discussion pertaining to this game in any way took place, only a bit of theoretical musing on general mafia strategy.

Re: [N4] ASB Halloween Mafia

It's hard to say whether the results of yesterday's lynch are encouraging, alarming, or merely puzzling, but one way or another many of the townsfolk go to bed unsettled. It's an unsettling time, of course, and when they reconvene in the square the next day the same old dread hangs over them. Roll call proves surprising, though, a quick double-check is made, and--yes. Finally, some good news.

No one has died.

Seventy-two hours for discussion.

Re: [D5] ASB Halloween Mafia

So, two possibilities: Butterfree was telling the truth and protected ILS, or the mafia didn't target ILS, or the mafia didn't target anyone.

Thoughts?

So ZM was lying about being town - I guess this is one of the better outcomes for us, with eliminating a likely malicious third party yesterday and either no kill or a blocked kill last night. I’m guessing we’re probably at 5 town and 2 mafia remaining then?

Butterfree, Gzhoom, and Eifie, who did you all target last night? That should hopefully narrow down the possibilities SS mentioned, which’ll be useful for us to use as a basis to figure out the best suspects for today, or at the very least help us narrow down the list of who could be mafia by process of elimination.

Are Pokemon not considered town, then? I'm not sure how Pokemon roles work in mafia. Or can Pokemon roles be either?

I didn’t target anyone last night. I didn’t want to risk switching a successful block or anything.

I didn’t target anyone last night. I didn’t want to risk switching a successful block or anything.

Meanwhile, I didn't redirect anyone because I didn't want to interfere with you again...

Butterfree asked you to swap her and someone else so that we could protect both her and ILS, though. And if by "successful block" you mean a heal, swapping wouldn't actually have any effect on that. It would just mean that a different person would be both killed and healed and we would still have no one die. I'm finding it kind of fishy that you wouldn't act to keep a claimed doctor safe.

I'm really just considering this because at this point I think either the mafia is Keldeo and SS, or someone who has roleclaimed is lying. I also think that SS has been playing very town this entire game, so I'm more inclined to consider the second option. Gzhoom has been inspected innocent, right? He has also not acted for the past two nights. In a game of this size it's pretty likely to have something like a mafia roleblocker or mafia doctor, etc. (by which I mean a mafia version of an innocent role (or also terrorist) that inspects/flips innocent and doesn't know who the mafia are, and isn't known by the mafia, and in the future when I say "half-mafia" this is what I mean), and his behaviour seems consistent with a mafia-aligned bus driver. When the number of players gets a lot smaller, mafia bus driver would be afraid to act because they could end up just getting a mafia killed. It's kind of been nagging at me for ages that we have so many roleblocking/redirection roles and that a while ago MF said something about mafia bus drivers being at least as standard as innocent ones (I will assume he knows what he's talking about). I have made the dangerous mistake of assuming anyone who inspects innocent is town several times before, so I just wanted to bring this up!

And re: the first option: I do think Keldeo has been quieter than usual lately, although the post count disagrees with me somewhat. She also did not talk at all yesterday. Keldeo, do you have anything to say about this?

Butterfree asked you to swap her and someone else so that we could protect both her and ILS, though. And if by "successful block" you mean a heal, swapping wouldn't actually have any effect on that. It would just mean that a different person would be both killed and healed and we would still have no one die. I'm finding it kind of fishy that you wouldn't act to keep a claimed doctor safe.

To be fair, maybe Gzhoom didn't act as suggested to avoid mafia knowing what he would do. But if he had swapped Butterfree with someone, Butterfree's heal would have still affected her original target - it just would have saved her from being targeted by anything. (The second sentence there is clarifying/confirming what you said, Eifie.)

Anyway, I'm not 100% trusting of Butterfree yet and am waiting to hear what she did last night.

Eifie said:
And re: the first option: I do think Keldeo has been quieter than usual lately, although the post count disagrees with me somewhat. She also did not talk at all yesterday. Keldeo, do you have anything to say about this?
I noticed this too, actually.

I have made the dangerous mistake of assuming anyone who inspects innocent is town several times before, so I just wanted to bring this up!

Wait, ILS, when you get your results, what's the exact wording? Innocent or town?

Wait, ILS, when you get your results, what's the exact wording? Innocent or town?

Let me clarify what I meant: the dangerous mistake is assuming that anyone who inspects as innocent actually wants the innocents to win. Inactive aliens, half-mafia, godfathers, and some third-party roles inspect as innocent.

Let me clarify what I meant: the dangerous mistake is assuming that anyone who inspects as innocent actually wants the innocents to win. Inactive aliens, half-mafia, godfathers, and some third-party roles inspect as innocent.

Gotcha. That makes sense, and is something to watch for.

Are Pokemon not considered town, then? I'm not sure how Pokemon roles work in mafia. Or can Pokemon roles be either?

I just saw this post, so: I'm assuming "Pokémon" is just the flavour name for "third-party" in this game.

So I actually have an explanation for my low activity recently - it's pretty much due to a combination of me not having much relevant to say, and not really suspecting ZM one way or the other (besides what in hindsight was a pretty anti-town tone in some of his posts) but it's mostly because of schoolwork. This week (as in, 12/11 to 12/15) was exam week for me, and last week was dead week, so I had to finish up a lot of really important final projects for the classes that didn't have exams. The last day phase was right in the middle of the last weekend before finals, so I was basically reviewing all day and didn't have time to take more than a cursory look at the thread. I just had my last exam for the calendar year today, though, so I should be able to post more from now on.

Okay, more relatedly to figuring out the game, I've been saying that process of elimination is the key to figuring out who the two mafia still alive are, so I should probably deliver on that - here's where I'm at now for my thought process as to who's mafia.

People still alive, in order of the player list: Gzhoom, MF, Butterfree, Eifie, ILS, me, SS. If it's 5 town:2 mafia right now, after a mislynch and kill it would be 3:2; no lynch + kill or mislynch + no kill, 4:2; correct lynch and kill, 4:1; correct lynch and no kill, 5:1. So I think it's pretty imperative that we lynch, and lynch the most suspicious person, today. (People who've died and flipped town: RedneckPhoenix, Cynder, Superbird, Stryke, Kratos. People who've died and flipped mafia/Pokemon: Flora, ZM.)

First off, I know I'm town. (I know that ZM said this and ended up being a third party, but I actually do think that my role would be better kept from the mafia at this point in the game, and it wouldn't help town as much as it would hurt to have out in the open, I think. I can claim if it's necessary; like I said, I don't have any more exams from here on out, so I'll be more attentive to what's going on in the thread.) And as I've stated before, it's very, very unlikely that ILS is lying about his role, and he's provided us with good information so far. So we can move me and him to the front of the list: me, ILS, Gzhoom, MF, Butterfree, Eifie, SS

MF and Gzhoom were confirmed innocent by ILS, on n4 and n3, respectively. As Eifie's said, this could mean that they're "half-mafia" or godfather or a similar role that investigates as innocent but isn't actually town; while it's somewhat unlikely, I'm pretty sure Godfather is a pretty standard role, looking at the mafia rules, and it's not a stretch to think that a godfather-type would be in this game. Between MF and Gzhoom, I personally think Gzhoom is more likely to be this type of role, if there is one, because I've pretty consistently read MF as aggressive town with his posts and pushes since day 1, which feels pretty "in character" for him. I don't have as much of a behavioral or tonal read for Gzhoom, who hasn't been posting as much (if you look back through the thread, his posts are pretty consistently just saying what his targets have been, not really analyzing the game.) While he's had valid reasons for it, he's also been idle for the past two nights... Hmm, I also do feel like I tend to give new players too much of the benefit of a doubt, so maybe I'm overcompensating for that? In any case, we can move MF and Gzhoom to the front of the list, with the caveat that they could potentially be godfather/terrorist/"half-mafia" or the like. Me, ILS, MF, Gzhoom, Butterfree, Eifie, SS.

So, the people we haven't covered are Butterfree, Eifie, and SS. Taking these one at a time:

I honestly trust Eifie the most. Her claim came early, it's rock solid and was instrumental in lynching Flora, and she's been one of the most active posters/solvers (which is pretty typical for her, iirc?) and has led two lynches of anti-town people so far. Her tone is pretty consistently towny as well, especially in how she's been hunting for scum and how she pushed ZM yesterday. There's not really much else to say; there are a coupe tone-based things that could come from a mafia mindset, but I think it's highly unlikely.

With regard to SS, I want to read her as town, she's been posting a lot and comes across as pretty genuine, but there's also a little off-seeming thing to her behavior? Like, the fact that she's been consistently asking questions about fairly basic mafia stuff like whether we can abstain, whether roles are revealed upon death, and what a Pokemon alignment is would make me read her as town and just new to mafia... but it's almost a "lady doth protest too much" situation. While some of those questions did reveal information, e.g. this, I feel like the questions and the working out her reasoning in posts miiight just as easily be a coached thing, where hypothetical mafia-SS's mafia partners told her to post gamestate-related questions or basic deductions that make her seem active and newbie but don't actually give us any information. And in the past few days, she's been echoing Eifie (and, to an extent, me) a lot. While this hasn't been all of her content, which would be a lot more suspicious, it's justifiable but also could just be another way to get on town's good side. (What I'm talking about: following me, Eifie, Eifie.) I feel like I might also be falling into the trap here of being too skeptical/paranoid of new players, so in the end I just pretty much don't have a read on her. Her behavior could stem from a town mindset, or it could stem from a mafia mindset - I don't know.

Finally, Butterfree... I really don't know. Up until her claim, she seemed kind of suspicious to me. She's been quite inactive, and all of the posts that she did make would've been really easy for a mafia in her position to make imo, because it was pretty much entirely bandwagoning - she's been on literally every single wagon except ZM's, iirc, and including mine when I was being suspected of being mafia. I think she's usually at least a bit more active in terms of at least commenting on things if not offering any new information? So the fact that she just hadn't really been doing anything stuck out to me. And then there's her roleclaim post, which made my estimation of her as town increase a lot - it's definitely plausible, and her claim makes for a good reason to lay low. Except claiming a conveniently ineffectual doctor, while leaving the door open for any potential second doctor not to counterclaim, might also be fairly easy for mafia to say, and it practically ensures that Butterfree wouldn't be lynched if we believed her claim because we need a doctor to protect ILS. All they had to do last night was just not kill anyone, and then Butterfree could claim that it was because of her action, establishing her as a trusted figure. I feel like I'm probably overthinking this in some way, but... with a lack of anyone more suspicious seeming (because honestly, everyone still alive in this game seems at least a little towny to me for one reason or another) she's at the bottom of the list.

Okay, hopefully that was coherent. The final list, from towniest- to scummiest-seeming imo: Me, ILS, MF, Gzhoom, Eifie, SS, Butterfree. (A more accurate label would probably be "most towniest to least towniest" since I don't really see anyone who's glaringly suspicious... but at the same time I don't think I'm very good at sussing out lies very well and I haven't played play-by-post mafia in a long while, so there's probably a scum among the people I think are town.) But that's my reasoning, and that's why I think we should lynch SS or Butterfree today, unless more information turns up.

Back
Top Bottom