• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Bred to Death - British Kennel Club

Only problem is that they used a lie to make these pretty tigers. It's probably against the tiger's rights or something.

Especially since they're endangered. Zoos can say 'oh we bred them and we're saving the tigers' - the reality is that most white tigers are born with severe deformities.

Awww... I'm with shadow_lugia also. As a matter of fact, I'm quitting Zoo Tycoon.
Those poor tigers... my mother and friend Cheyenne are going to be devestated. Those white tigers are their favorite animals.
But then agian, Cheyenne think that white tigers are called "Snowy Tigers" and live in the snowy mountains.... yeah, soo.... yeah.

LOL, they're fooling us. Right when I'm listening to the song "You Don't Fool Me" by Queen.

Yeah, it's a MewXCharmeleonXEevee hybrid. It has its flaws also...
Like how it's obnoxious, lazy, obsessed with Queen, and fangirls many.

Anyways, let's direct our attention back to the inbreeding issue.

I wish I knew that earlier. Makes me feel bad for having my favorite animal a white tiger. TT_TT

I never really liked the way pure breeds looked anyway. My chuwawas are actually mutts (although we don't know what they're mixed with) and they are the cutest dog in my opinion.

My pen-pal also showed me his four, cute dogs. All different mutt breeds. They are almost as cute as my dogs. X3

Anyway, the FBI should shut down any Kennel Clubs that have inbreeding. It's just wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrongity, wrong.

I've never really liked pure-breds...the mongrals (sp) always look individual and unique, compared to the copies of the same breed dogs. They're often happier and healthier then any pure-bred too. They should be shut down if they're going for really sick dogs, just for their appearance. Hell, anyone who goes for appearance only should be beat around the face with a stick. People insist that beauty isn't skin deep - and then they turn around and fuss over their animals!

But not all people are as harsh as the Kennel Club (thank god). My grandad got a mongral puppy (half German Shepard, half mixed breed probably) for free, because a dog jumped the fence and got to some prize showdog =P Hence, he had a German Shepard with floppy ears called Sabre XD!

It'll end up getting to the stage where they won't be able to breed any more pedigree dogs like that. They just won't survive long enough to breed. Which, in my opinion is a good thing as it would prevent further suffering.

I remember seeing a dog that was so tiny, it was shaking, was balding and its face was so squashed (I kid you not it was perfectly flat) it made this horrendous gargling sound when it breathed. I was quite shocked to hear it was a young dog.

...And this is why I greatly dislike how much press English Bulldogs get. They just ain't right.

Yeah, I'm not against breeding dogs as a principle, but it should be done with the dog's health first in mind. Any new aesthetic chance should be thoroughly checked for severe health defects, and, if found, the look should be completely abandoned. And for God's sake, no more flat-faced dogs! They're not even good-looking, let alone all their terrible genetic problems.

Purebreds aren't all bad, though...*huggles her healthy, happy purebred Westie*, and some dogs are still bred to be functional (Border Collies, Australian Shepherds, German Shepherds, Labradors, etc.)

Last edited:
I think some of the thing "purebred" dogs are afflicted with are mental problems, too. And those are the kinds that aren't noticeable when a puppy is given away to a new family, but only become apparent later.
I'm speaking from my own experience, of course, and all dogs have the potential to be violent, regardless of their ancestry... though I don't like the breeding of alsatians and dobermans simply because they're bred to be aggressive.

I didn't know the thing about white tigers being inbred either. :( That's awful...

Me neither.

It's probably some recessive gene that normally has a domainant allele to mask it, but inbreeding two tigers with one recessive and one dominant allele would give I think a 1/4 chance of a white tiger. Just speculating here, I don't know how the genetics work, but I think the expression of recessive genes is sometimes not beneficial to the animal, and it has a higher likelihood of happening if you breed together close family members since they likely share the same recessive genes.

It's a real shame that so many people have been fooled into thinking its a legitimate wild species. It may occur once in a while in the wild, but those are just flukes.

It may occur once in a while in the wild, but those are just flukes.

That's just it. It doesn't occur at all unless siblings, parent-child or grandparent-grandchild partnerships breed repeatedly.

It may occur once in a while in the wild, but those are just flukes.

That's just it. It doesn't occur at all unless siblings, parent-child or grandparent-grandchild partnerships breed repeatedly.

Technically it can happen after just one breeding, and it can happen even if the pair are not close relatives. It's just very very very rare for that to happen.

I think some of the thing "purebred" dogs are afflicted with are mental problems, too. And those are the kinds that aren't noticeable when a puppy is given away to a new family, but only become apparent later.
I'm speaking from my own experience, of course, and all dogs have the potential to be violent, regardless of their ancestry... though I don't like the breeding of alsatians and dobermans simply because they're bred to be aggressive.

I agree mostly, but one thing:

Dobermans aren't bred to be outright aggressive, but to have higher alertness/assertiveness level, higher levels of loyalty, and a strong physical build. Same goes for Rottweilers and a lot of the larger "protection" breeds. They're actually very intelligent and relatively easy to train, because hey, if they were bred for aggressiveness, the owner wouldn't be able to keep them in check. The reason a lot of them seem aggressive is because people usually buy them thinking that having a big dog makes them look tough, and don't put any effort in actually training them, rather just sticking them in the yard or spoiling them (If I had a nickel for every time I've seen someone chain a Rottweiler or Staffordshire in their yard without realizing what great dogs they really are...)

And mental problems, as I've seen, are usually more undesired in the breeding environment than physical problems. Problems like bad temperament and emotional difficulties are the mark of a bad breeder. Its attitude should fit the breed standard, but still make for a friendly, trainable dog.

Back
Top Bottom