• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Challenge Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a really short battle for experience, nothing to see here.

1vs1 single
DQ: Five days
Damage Cap: None
Banned Moves: OHKO's, direct heals (chills allowed).
Arena: Mt. Chimney/Jagged Pass

This battle takes place on both routes; description can be found here and here. Basically, it's a rocky terrain; ashen filled grass can be found on the Jagged Pass, where the battle starts. The trees and such are also covered with soot, and there is little to no water unless provided with a move like rain dance.

Speaking of soot, doesn't there have to be side effects from battling and breathing in volcanic ash? Why yes! Spending time in the burnt up grass or doing other things (determined at ref's discretion) can cause a number of side effects. There's about a 25% chance of it occuring when you do such dangerous things, and the effects include but are not limited to:

A 25% chance of getting lightly confused.
A 20% chance of getting lightly poisoned.
A 15% chance of getting mildly confused.
A 15% chance of getting mildly poisoned.
A 10% chance of wasting an action coughing (like a flinch).
A 10% chance of rustling up the ash and smoke, causing the effect of smokescreen upon all pokemon.
A 5% chance of getting both mildly confused and lightly poisoned.

Up at the volcano, where the problematic substance is given off, the chance of such things happening is a flat 25% each round. If it is determined that it will occur to a pokemon, the action in which it will happen is randomized.

Pokemon native to Hoenn use 1% less energy per action, unless that would make the energy cost of a move zero. Pokemon found on the Jagged Pass use 2% less energy per action (this does not stack with the Hoenn bonus and has the same rules) and have the chances of being affected by the ash lowered to 15%. Poison type pokemon are obviously immune to the ash's effects.

Other: Only fully unevolved pokemon may participate; single stage lines are banned.

Last edited:
... I'm not sure how I came up with this.

2vs2 single
DQ: 4 days
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, suicide moves (including Perish Song)
Arena: The Forbidden Forest

Full of dangerous creatures? Pfft! Like that's ever stopped anyone from going in!

Two silly battlers have snuck out to this shady wood for (what else?) a Pokemon battle. So far none of the professors have noticed their absence ... but you'd better believe the monsters within the forest have figured out that there are intruders near. At the end of every round, each Pokemon will be confronted by one of the following creatures:

Bowtruckle - deals 3% typeless damage, and has no side affects aside from being generally annoying. (35% chance)
Werewolf - deals 7% dark-type damage, but the affected Pokemon will gain +1 attack from the wildness instilled in it. (10% chance)
Troll - deals 7% rock-type damage, but the affected Pokemon will gain +1 defense upon figuring out how to better brace themselves against oncoming blows. (10% chance)
Thestral - deals 7% ghost-type damage, but the affected Pokemon will gain +1 special attack from the sheer inspiring awe the creature instills in it. (10% chance)
Acromantula - deals 7% bug-type damage, but the affected Pokemon will gain +1 special defense due to becoming more aware of such things sneaking up on it. (10% chance)
Blast-Ended Skrewt - deals 7% fire-type damage, but the affected Pokemon will gain +1 speed since those flames are hot enough to make it lightfooted. (10% chance)
Centaur - deals 7% fighting-type damage, but the affected Pokemon will gain +1 accuracy as they take note of how they can weave in and out of the trees so easily. (5% chance)
Hippogriff - deals 7% flying-type damage, but the affected Pokemon will gain +1 evasion, since some of those feathers have stuck to it and may deflect attacks. (5% chance)
Unicorn - restores 10% health, but saps 10% energy due to the unfortunate side effects of consuming its blood. (5% chance)

Damage dealt by these beasts is unaffected by the damage cap. The boosts from these encounters stack, e.g. it's perfectly possible for a Pokemon to eventually have +6 attack due to werewolf bites. Naturally it's impossible to go over +6, though.

As to the forest itself: the canopy is very thick, making weather moves an unlikely tactic unless the leaves up there (or is it pine needles?) get torn up in some way. There are huge knobbly roots protruding from the ground, and there is a 5% chance that a Pokemon will trip and hurt itself instead of attack. There's a stream nearby which water-types can take advantage of, though it's small enough that jumping right into it is out of the question for anything larger than, say, a Magikarp.

If by the end of 11 rounds the battle isn't over, Hagrid and Fang will show up to drag the hapless young trainers back to school, effectively ending the battle. It's not as if they can let this foolishness go unpunished, after all. (If the trainers have the same number of Pokemon left, the winner can be decided by adding together the current Pokemon's health and energy and finding whichever total is greatest. Doesn't make the inevitable detentions any better, though.)

Other: No fully-evolved Pokemon allowed.

I am very surprised no one has taken this yet! It looks like fun, so I'll accept your challenge if, of course, you don't mind.

I also wanted to start up a challenge of my own, but as I can't currently think of one I guess I'll just have to come back for that.

Just a really short battle for experience, nothing to see here.

1vs1 single
DQ: Five days
Damage Cap: None
Banned Moves: OHKO's, direct heals (chills allowed).
Arena: Mt. Chimney/Jagged Pass

This battle takes place on both routes; description can be found here and here. Basically, it's a rocky terrain; ashen filled grass can be found on the Jagged Pass, where the battle starts. The trees and such are also covered with soot, and there is little to no water unless provided with a move like rain dance.

Speaking of soot, doesn't there have to be side effects from battling and breathing in volcanic ash? Why yes! Spending time in the burnt up grass or doing other things (determined at ref's discretion) can cause a number of side effects. There's about a 25% chance of it occuring when you do such dangerous things, and the effects include but are not limited to:

A 25% chance of getting lightly confused.
A 20% chance of getting lightly poisoned.
A 15% chance of getting mildly confused.
A 15% chance of getting mildly poisoned.
A 10% chance of wasting an action coughing (like a flinch).
A 10% chance of rustling up the ash and smoke, causing the effect of smokescreen upon all pokemon.
A 5% chance of getting both mildly confused and lightly poisoned.

Up at the volcano, where the problematic substance is given off, the chance of such things happening is a flat 25% each round. If it is determined that it will occur to a pokemon, the action in which it will happen is randomized.

Pokemon native to Hoenn use 1% less energy per action, unless that would make the energy cost of a move zero. Pokemon found on the Jagged Pass use 2% less energy per action (this does not stack with the Hoenn bonus and has the same rules) and have the chances of being affected by the ash lowered to 15%. Poison type pokemon are obviously immune to the ash's effects.

Other: Only fully unevolved pokemon may participate; single stage lines are banned.
A quick battle for EXP? You're on.

Taking Arylett Dawnsborough vs. Mai For the monies/pay back a debt. Thread up soon

2vs2 single
Style: Switch
DQ: "eventually"
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, earthmoving (earthquake etc)
Arena: White's bedroom

In a house in a town in the region of Unova, a woman welcomes any and all local battlers to her daughter's room on the second floor of her house. (Don't worry, the kid's not there; she's out somewhere on her journey. And would it kill for her to call more often?) It's a fully-furnished bedroom, including a double bed, a cute area rug, and a television complete with near-invincible Wii console.

The dimensions are a good 20' x 14' x 9', with an average-sized window set into one wall, opened for the fresh fall air. Weather effects would thus only affect the small area around the window. (Don't make it rain in her house, that's not nice. Keep it outside.)

The mom's happy to clean up afterwards as long as you don't cause permanent damage to the foundation of the house, and since it's on the second floor, if you dig, you're just going to end up on the ground floor getting sheetrock dust all over her nice chocolate chip cookies. She just baked them too, and was going to bring them up after the battle for the sweet trainers and unappreciated ref. How mean. So don't do that either.

Other: Reserved for surskitty to take and Zhorken to ref?? i feel like i am forgetting a bunch of things oh god how did this get here i am not good with computer asb

Last edited:
2vs2 single
Style: Switch
DQ: "eventually"
Banned Moves: OHKOs, earthmoving (earthquake etc)
Arena: White's bedroom

In a house in a town in the region of Unova, a woman welcomes any and all local battlers to her daughter's room on the second floor of her house. (Don't worry, the kid's not there; she's out somewhere on her journey. And would it kill for her to call more often?) It's a fully-furnished bedroom, including a double bed, a cute area rug, and a television complete with near-invincible Wii console.

The dimensions are a good 20' x 14' x 9', with an average-sized window set into one wall, opened for the fresh fall air. Weather effects would thus only affect the small area around the window. (Don't make it rain in her house, that's not nice. Keep it outside.)

The mom's happy to clean up afterwards as long as you don't cause permanent damage to the foundation of the house, and since it's on the second floor, if you dig, you're just going to end up on the ground floor getting sheetrock dust all over her nice chocolate chip cookies. She just baked them too, and was going to bring them up after the battle for the sweet trainers and unappreciated ref. How mean. So don't do that either.

Other: Reserved for surskitty to take and Zhorken to ref?? i feel like i am forgetting a bunch of things oh god how did this get here i am not good with computer asb
Confirming that I did indeed agree to ref that. (And I'll totally be taking advantage of that DQ time.)

Woo!

Battle Format: 2 vs 2 double battle
DQ Time: 1 week
Damage Cap: 45%
Banned and Restricted Moves: OHKOs, suicide moves
Arena Description: Striaton City Garden

A grassy little park of sorts at the west end of Striaton City. There's a fountain in the middle, and a pond surrounding the fountain area on three sides like a letter U; there are also three bridges, leading over the pond in all three directions. The bridges to the south and west lead to narrow stretches of grass and bushes, with a thick wooded area around the perimiter of the garden; to the east is the garden entrance. Some bushes sporting pink flowers are scattered around, as well as some topiaries (carved bushes) depicting Pikachu and Pidove. Leading north from the fountain is a dirt path which leads to a set of four wooden archways covered in vines, and Route 3 beyond that, but we aren't going over there.

If any Pokémon incurs damage to any bush or topiary, the gardener will charge up and berate them for disrespecting such art. This costs the perpetrator their next action as they have to sit through the diatribe (even if said action happens next round.)

Additional Rules: Pokémon choices are to be PMed to the ref. Any refs considering picking up this battle: please consider Negrek vs me first; it's been waiting way longer. (I'm not gonna complain if you just want to take this one, though, of couse.)

Last edited:
It might be because I've been absent, but, I don't recall the last time we've had a Metronome battle around here.

3 vs 3, single
Style: Set
DQ: 7 days
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: Only Metronome can be used.
Arena: Ancient Rome

The Roman empire was one of the greatest ever built. Currently, history says its downfall came about with the invasion of the Huns (well, at least one half of it). Soon, it's going to start saying a bunch of stupid time travelers did it.

The battle begins in the Amphitheatrum Flavium, aka Colosseum. It was (or, in this context, is) capable of holding hundreds of thousands of spectators, all of whom are eager to watch a spectacle that is likely to be much more bloodless than the usual, but still, mind-blowing. After all, even in the present, we'd all be lining up for it if two future imbeciles were staging a potentially city-destroying battle with remarkable, odd beasts. If the Colosseum hasn't been destroyed by the time a Pokémon faints, before the next sendout, it will be filled with water for a mock naval battle. Non-water-dwelling Pokémon will be able to take refuge aboard the ships.

But of course, we're all wishing it will be destroyed. And if that it is after it's filled up, Roman men will never wish for rain again. Unless we set fire to their homes beforehand.
Other: Pokémon of any species will be able to use Metronome during this battle.

It might be because I've been absent, but, I don't recall the last time we've had a Metronome battle around here.

3 vs 3, single
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: Only Metronome can be used.
Arena: Ancient Rome

The Roman empire was one of the greatest ever built. Currently, history says its downfall came about with the invasion of the Huns (well, at least one half of it). Soon, it's going to start saying a bunch of stupid time travelers did it.

The battle begins in the Amphitheatrum Flavium, aka Colosseum. It was (or, in this context, is) capable of holding hundreds of thousands of spectators, all of whom are eager to watch a spectacle that is likely to be much more bloodless than the usual, but still, mind-blowing. After all, even in the present, we'd all be lining up for it if two future imbeciles were staging a potentially city-destroying battle with remarkable, odd beasts. If the Colosseum hasn't been destroyed by the time a Pokémon faints, before the next sendout, it will be filled with water for a mock naval battle. Non-water-dwelling Pokémon will be able to take refuge aboard the ships.

But of course, we're all wishing it will be destroyed. And if that it is after it's filled up, Roman men will never wish for rain again. Unless we set fire to their homes beforehand.
Other: Pokémon of any species will be able to use Metronome during this battle.
Let's go.

I'm back after a slight hiatus! But I'm not really in the mood for any fancy stuff. It's got a tiny gimmick to it, but overall, I'd like to keep it simple:

2vs2 Single
DQ: One week.
Banned Moves: OHKO's, direct recovery moves, four chills the whole battle, for each side.
Arena: Rainbow Fields

It's a grassy, beautiful field of rainbow flowers with a few clouds here and there. It is a lovely scenic sort of place with a bright shining sun. Thus, it's always on Sunny Day unless the weather is otherwise changed by a weather-altering move.

Something otherwise unique about this arena is the clouds. The clouds are low-dipping, and are imbued with the special magic of the Rainbowpeoples, a tribe of Flying-type/Air-elemental mystics that live near the Rainbow Fields. Their village is a few miles away. Thus, Pokémon may jump onto the clouds and fly around on them. Jumping onto a cloud takes one action, which must be dictated with the word "Jump," obviously. Whilst on a cloud, a Pokémon gains +1 Speed and +1 Evasion, but the cloud can only be used for two actions, and then it dissipates (and the stat boosts wear off with it.) Being on a cloud takes away 3% energy for every action a Pokémon is on it due to the mental effort of navigating the cloud in the proper direction. If one wishes to abandon the cloud early, the trainer may simply command their Pokémon to jump off the cloud, which also takes one action. If a Flying-type chooses to use a cloud, they will suffer only a 2% deduction in their energy due to their experience in the skies.

However, the Rainbowpeoples' generosity will not last long. If trainer uses more than three clouds in the entire battle, their greed will incite the tribe's anger, and they will use their magics to summon a massive gust of wind at the offender. The gust will blow their Pokémon away a very far distance. Due to the journey it will take to get back to the battle, they will lose one action trying to do so. (So, if the trainer commanded, say "Jump", the Pokémon would jump on the cloud as normal. The next action afterwards, however, the Rainbowpeople would appear and blow them away, making them technically lose TWO actions. One wasted on jumping and another by the Rainbowpeople.)

Um, is this taken? If not, I'd like to take it. It'd be nice to battle someone who's been on here for a long time.

Woo!

Battle Format: 2 vs 2 double battle
DQ Time: 1 week
Damage Cap: 45%
Banned and Restricted Moves: OHKOs, suicide moves
Arena Description: Striaton City Garden

A grassy little park of sorts at the west end of Striaton City. There's a fountain in the middle, and a pond surrounding the fountain area on three sides like a letter U; there are also three bridges, leading over the pond in all three directions. The bridges to the south and west lead to narrow stretches of grass and bushes, with a thick wooded area around the perimiter of the garden; to the east is the garden entrance. Some bushes sporting pink flowers are scattered around, as well as some topiaries (carved bushes) depicting Pikachu and Pidove. Leading north from the fountain is a dirt path which leads to a set of four wooden archways covered in vines, and Route 3 beyond that, but we aren't going over there.

If any Pokémon incurs damage to any bush or topiary, the gardener will charge up and berate them for disrespecting such art. This costs the perpetrator their next action as they have to sit through the diatribe (even if said action happens next round.)

Additional Rules: Pokémon choices are to be PMed to the ref. Any refs considering picking up this battle: please consider Negrek vs me first; it's been waiting way longer. (I'm not gonna complain if you just want to take this one, though, of course.)

Double battle as potential second battle ever yes this is a good idea i am sure........ \o.

So I have six pokémon capable of participating in a metronome battle...

... but I'm not insane.

Still, my previous one did finish, so may as well go for some more.

Reserved for Pathos and Kratos Aurion.

1 vs 1 vs 1
Damage Cap: 100%
Moves allowed: Metronome

Arena: ASB Central

ASB Central is a shining metropolis surrounded by wilderness, and absolutely filled with powerful trainers from around the world. Currently run by a seemingly-benevolent dictator, one so powerful she can veto any business, keep watch over every item, and allegedly, even warp reality itself, Asber manages to be relatively peaceful despite the myriad powerful creatures running around almost freely.

Every public building, set around the main street, is designed to subtly impress - even though some are no longer commonly used, discarded in favour of online systems accessible even from a personal computer. The Fourth United Bank of TCoD, though no longer as grand as its predecessor, is covered in mirrored glass and filled with expensive pieces of modern art and the massive servers that protect every trainer's money. The Pokémon Registration Office is carved from shining marble, designed to be far more robust, constructed from shining marble, where people go to showcase the unusual qualities of their pokémon. Another imposing building, the Referee Headquarters, towers over nearly every other building in ASB Central. The library, while rarely used by anyone but the ruler of Asber herself, contains the original texts of the most precious ASB documents, those that every referee learns to love, as well as prized rare tomes detailing less-known information about every pokémon, move, item, lore, and scientific concept in Asber. Even the smaller offices - whether it's the Business Approval Office, for example, or the dark alleyways that make up the Black Market - are impressive in their own ways, and of course, the business owners are interested in drawing attention to their own buildings.

The League-subsidised Kusari-Mart, Sunnenrain Berry Mart, and Grass King's Damage-Influencing Centre are clustered near the public buildings, though the rather more prosperous Kusari-Mart is the tallest and most impressive of them. Other private businesses are clustered nearby, too; Moony's Automail Shop is small, but its work is complex. The Aurion Home for the Belligerent Elderly may claim itself a public health service on its tax forms, but those who have offered "maintenance fees" before speaking with one of the better-known residents know better. The local Lacuna Labs outpost is filled with mysterious, unknown, but undoubtedly-expensive machines that should be either in or far away from hospitals, buying memories to go into a single person's pocket in addition to churning out sweet treats. Then there's the not-for-profit Hall of Fame, of course, and the slightly more distant Altoram Dept. Store, just outside the busiest streets, filled with ancient machines that and kept from the eyes of the government inspectors.

There is the most well-loved building in the region, a pokémon centre right across from the Pokémon Registration Office, with a pretty red roof and a front made of glass and lights.

But as soon as one leaves the outskirts of ASB Central? Dense forest, filled with wild pokémon, and beyond that, abandoned outposts that once held dreams of being cities. Perhaps they still can, when they're the only remnants of civilisation in all of Asber, but for now, they remain forgotten.

And so, three trainers and a referee, clad in black cloaks that hide their identities, decide to destroy it all...

... by posting their intentions on a public board any trainer can see?

Rules: Metronome only, no chill, standard health/energy, guys let's do this before Negrek sees anyth

Last edited:

... but I'm not insane.

1 vs 1

ASB Central is a shining metropolis surrounded by wilderness, and absolutely filled with powerful trainers from around the world. Currently run by a seemingly-benevolent dictator, one so powerful she can veto any business, keep watch over every item, and allegedly, even warp reality itself, Asber manages to be relatively peaceful despite the myriad powerful creatures running around almost freely.

Every public building, set around the main street, is designed to subtly impress - even though some are no longer commonly used, discarded in favour of online systems accessible even from a personal computer. The Fourth United Bank of TCoD, though no longer as grand as its predecessor, is covered in mirrored glass and filled with expensive pieces of modern art and the massive servers that protect every trainer's money. The Pokémon Registration Office is carved from shining marble, designed to be far more robust, constructed from shining marble, where people go to showcase the unusual qualities of their pokémon. Another imposing building, the Referee Headquarters, towers over nearly every other building in ASB Central. The library, while rarely used by anyone but the ruler of Asber herself, contains the original texts of the most precious ASB documents, those that every referee learns to love, as well as prized rare tomes detailing less-known information about every pokémon, move, item, lore, and scientific concept in Asber. Even the smaller offices - whether it's the Business Approval Office, for example, or the dark alleyways that make up the Black Market - are impressive in their own ways, and of course, the business owners are interested in drawing attention to their own buildings.

The League-subsidised Kusari-Mart, Sunnenrain Berry Mart, and Grass King's Damage-Influencing Centre are clustered near the public buildings, though the rather more prosperous Kusari-Mart is the tallest and most impressive of them. Other private businesses are clustered nearby, too; Moony's Automail Shop is small, but its work is complex. The Aurion Home for the Belligerent Elderly may claim itself a public health service on its tax forms, but those who have offered "maintenance fees" before speaking with one of the better-known residents know better. The local Lacuna Labs outpost is filled with mysterious, unknown, but undoubtedly-expensive machines that should be either in or far away from hospitals, buying memories to go into a single person's pocket in addition to churning out sweet treats. Then there's the not-for-profit Hall of Fame, of course, and the slightly more distant Altoram Dept. Store, just outside the busiest streets, filled with ancient machines that and kept from the eyes of the government inspectors.

There is the most well-loved building in the region, a pokémon centre right across from the Pokémon Registration Office, with a pretty red roof and a front made of glass and lights.

But as soon as one leaves the outskirts of ASB Central? Dense forest, filled with wild pokémon, and beyond that, abandoned outposts that once held dreams of being cities. Perhaps they still can, when they're the only remnants of civilisation in all of Asber, but for now, they remain forgotten.

And so, two trainers and a referee, clad in black cloaks that hide their identities, decide to destroy it all...

Rules: Metronome only, no chill, standard health/energy, guys let's do this before Negrek sees anyth

Do I hae to use a pokemon that would know Metronome, or is it just any pokemon that uses a set of random move?

Alright, so the battle's been edited to involved three trainers (Pathos? Kratos?), so - you know.

DarkAura, you should have a pokémon that knows metronome on general principles.

... but I'm not insane.

Reserved for Pathos and Kratos Aurion.

1 vs 1 vs 1

And so, three trainers and a referee, clad in black cloaks that hide their identities, decide to destroy it all...

Well, I did have other plans for my two remaining battle slots, but only "eventually" so in the mean time it'd be criminal to say no to destroying ALL the Asbers. Let there be draco meteor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom