• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokemon Sun & Pokemon Moon

As far as I can think of they don't actually tend to invent words for move names...

Off the top of my head, Octazooka, Bonemerang, Electroweb, Aeroblast, Boomburst...Crabhammer? It's uncommon but not unprecedented

Leafage seems like a poor man's Vine Whip to me, or at least a Special variation of such. I wonder if Litten will get a flaming hairball move

I wonder if Litten will get a flaming hairball move
Its starting elemental move is already confirmed to be Ember, but maybe further down the road?

Also, the Japanese trailer showed off just so much more stuff. Including skintone customization, it's back you guys. Four possible options this time.

That legendary for moon looks awesome, I wonder what type its going to be?
Anyway, do you know what the alchemical symbol for sulphur is? just look at Litten's face. I know what my starter is!

Last edited:
Rowlet knows Leafage as soon as you obtain it, so i think it is a 40 BP move, if not weaker.

And... Can Litten actually do a flaming hairball?!

(If the image isn't working, here's a link: https://mobile.twitter.com/BulbaNewsNOW/status/730010070247997442)

Off the top of my head, Octazooka, Bonemerang, Electroweb, Aeroblast, Boomburst...Crabhammer? It's uncommon but not unprecedented

I think those are kind of different from Leafage, right? Like, most of those invented words give you an immediate picture in your head of what they are. While Leafage just sounds like... general greenery.

I think those are kind of different from Leafage, right? Like, most of those invented words give you an immediate picture in your head of what they are. While Leafage just sounds like... general greenery.

it's a shrubbery
it's giving the opponent a shrubbery

200_s.gif

I doubt leafage will be special, much though I'd like it to be (because, yeah, early special grass options consist entirely of "absorb and nothing else", and absorb is not so common on non-plant-based pokémon); rowlet is described as firing "sharp" leaves and "kicking" its opponents, which makes it sound pretty physical-oriented overall to me. Still, I doubt we'll know for sure for a good while, so I guess there's nothing for it but to continue laughing at the name!

Rowlet is literally my favorite thing of all time, can we just discuss that bird's majestic beauty for a moment?

Anyway, more hyped for S&M than I have been for any Pokemon game to date, and that's kind of impressive.

I think Popplio might be my favourite. It's so goofy and endearing, especially in the trailer. I wonder if it's gonna turn out like Oshawott, where it goes from clown to badass warrior as it evolves.

Also, sweet skeletal bat legendary!

I know we said this last time, but this really feels like a light-type...

I'm really, really not impressed with the starters. They feel significantly less novel than the last six generations, most notably rowlet. It's just... a green owl... Popplio isn't especially detestable, but it isn't great, though i am partially with Byrus and hope dearly that it'll turn out like oshawott. None of them are particularly moving, but i quite like litten. Just because it's a cat...

I'm really, really not impressed with the starters. They feel significantly less novel than the last six generations, most notably rowlet. It's just... a green owl...

The designs are starting to grow on me, but I think the names are absolutely atrocious (lookin' at you, Litten).

New Sun and Moon infodump!

To sum up:

Solgaleo and Lunala confirmed. Solgaleo's Psychic/Steel with a variant of Clear Body for its ability and the signature move Sunsteel Strike. Lunala's Psychic/Ghost with a variant of Multiscale for its ability and the signature move Moongeist Beam.

Alola's map was revealed, and it has four main islands plus what looks like could be the Pokemon League as a man-made ship-island-thing floating between the main islands. The westernmost is full of ruins and the second-from-the-west looks more like a starting town kind of area, so I figure we'll probably start there, push our way east, and then finally get to the westernmost island when the evil team's plot manifests and it's time to catch the box legendary. The in-game overworld map (shown with Professor Kukui's bio in the video in the above link at about 1:05) seems to have a large-ish island-sized suspiciously cloudy area in the south, so perhaps we'll see another decent-sized post-game battle facility for the first time since Gen 4?

Shirtless dude (Kukui) is indeed the Professor. Lillie is "a mysterious girl who assists the professor" "for personal reasons" and "will play an important role in the story." (Side note: everyone I see seems to be thinking she'll be an undercover evil team member, but I really hope we don't get the "turns out you can't trust the girly girl" trope. I hope it's more like she's the Champion going undercover to scout out new Trainers who could face her, or something. Anything but secretly-evil-all-along.) Hau looks to be more of the standard friendly rival a la DPPt's Barry.

The Pokedex is possessed by a Rotom! It looks super cute and it talks(!), shows you your next destination, and gives you advice if you get stuck. (Honestly this could go either way for me, it sounds super cute and really inventive, buuuuut if they implement it badly it could be just another annoying forced tutorial like the sword-spirit in Zelda: Skyward Sword.) Also, in the Japanese clip of the Pokedex, we get a brief view of what our Pokedex interface is gonna look like, and unless I'm mistaken it looks like it uses 2D (hand-drawn?) artwork that is neither a trace-over of the CGI model nor the official art that was presented when the starters were released!

Finally, there's a new QR scanner function where you can scan a QR code and register a Pokemon in your Pokedex so you can see where it lives in the Alola region! The blurb doesn't specify, but I really hope it's just registering them as seen because otherwise let's be real the whole Internet would have their whole Pokedex marked ""completed"" within a couple days of the game's release.

---

EDIT: According to Serebii's coverage (which I'm not linking to b/c their system is stupid and there's no way to permalink to news so y'all can see it now and others can see it later on once it's archived): "In a special video on the Japanese site, the Pokédex lists the Alola Pokédex and the MeleMele Pokédex." Perhaps MeleMele is this suspiciously clouded-over area on the world map? Could we be getting the two-regions-in-one game that the fandom has been clamoring for?

Extremely disappointed that Solgaleo is just the furry version of Metagross.

The Rotom idea is really neat. As far as I know, this is the very first time a Pokémon actually speaks in a main series game! Hehe!

I'm still curious about the Strange Souvenir; I wonder if it's supposed to represent a third (unrevealed) legendary.

Sounds like Devon's R&D team has finally run out of foreshadowing. It was a good run.

The specs on those box legendaries are massively underwhelming, but eh, they seemed hit-or-miss from the get go anyway, let's just hope their lore gets interesting enough (ie, isn't just another take on "controls a natural phenomenon in a way that the local evil team wants to do a catastrophe with"). Everything else looks so good, though! I love the femprotag's design, particularly.

I'm guessing they're somehow based off of Hawaiian mythology? Anyone versed here in that specific topic?

Anyways, I don't get how Magearna fits in with all of this. This is kinda farfetched but... are the legends robots? Solgaleo certainly looks like one, and its Ability only makes me think it's a robot even more. There's also a closeup on its eyes that make me think that, too.

I'm really hype to see the other 'mons and the music. Even if I find an entry in the series underwhelming, the music salvages it for me. Kinda like how Snowbelle had absolutely beautiful music, but their GL was seriously disappointing (the name and the silhouette were so promising).

Anyways, I don't get how Magearna fits in with all of this. This is kinda farfetched but... are the legends robots? Solgaleo certainly looks like one, and its Ability only makes me think it's a robot even more. There's also a closeup on its eyes that make me think that, too.
That's a pretty interesting idea, but it's harder to see it for Lunaala.

Eh? Which bit is relevant?
The remaining scientist with an unsuccessful project was trying to come up with a device that would let people talk to Pokémon. Rotom-Pokédex can definitely talk to you, for one, and that's besides the trailer mentioning a "new way to communicate with Pokémon" right after that.

That's a pretty interesting idea, but it's harder to see it for Lunaala.

Maybe the ghost of a robot or something? Not that robots typically have ghosts...?

I actually like that idea a lot, ILS, and could see it for Solgaleo!

(As a side-note, I'm assuming Solgaleo is pronounced leo like the lion, but I keep pronouncing it leo as in Galileo. Like a sun lion version of Galileo. Am I the only one?!)

Definitely disappointed in the typing reveal for Solgaleo... I don't mind pokémon having weird types that you wouldn't guess from looking at them, but the fact that it's apparently a metagross clone strikes me as a little lame. Didn't feel like there was a great deal of interesting info in this release, although the character art's nice and the rotomdex could be fun, depending on where they go with it.

(As a side-note, I'm assuming Solgaleo is pronounced leo like the lion, but I keep pronouncing it leo as in Galileo. Like a sun lion version of Galileo. Am I the only one?!)
Nope. And the "Galileo" pronunciation sounds far better, therefore I declare it the correct one. *bangs gavel*

Back
Top Bottom