• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Recommend music for other people

well, my favorite band ever is almost certainly derphunter, and if you like them, certainly check out older, punk-era music. like, basically,

• ramones
  • blondie
  • talking heads
  • XTC (THIS ONE IS NOT OPTIONAL. YOU HEAR ME?)
  • elvis costello
  • the clash
  • joy division
  • the birthday party
  • the bad seeds
  • can
  • NEU!
  • the b-52's
  • patti smith
  • television (THIS ONE ISN'T OPTIONAL EITHER.)
  • patti smith (not optional if you love television.)
  • richard hell and the voidoids
  • devo
  • teenage jesus and the jerks
  • DNA
  • mars
  • james chance
  • iggy pop's solo work
  • squeeze
  • the pop group
  • suicide
  • echo & the bunnymen
  • the fall

a lot of other awesome glam rock exists that is pretty great if you like punk. it's got the same mindset but is admittedly more polished and marginally more impressive from a technical standpoint. check these guys out for sure:

• t. rex
  • roxy music
  • new york dolls
  • the stooges? (not really glam, but they get lopped in with them. they still rule, so give them a chance!)

he's not particularly glam for the most part, but brian eno was a part of roxy music for a little while. his solo stuff is a whole other animal, and is far and away better than his work in roxy music.

because this is turning into a 70s circle jerk, you must check out bowie's work from the 70s. it doesn't matter what; everything he did, be it his hard rock work, glam, "blue-eyed soul"/funk, or experimental rock, is all worth a listen. his catalogue is very well-rounded. i love it all. your mileage will vary, but you're bound to find SOMETHING you enjoy. also, if you like any bowie from the 70s, check out scary monsters. that album rules. i just love the way it sounds.

also, kraftwerk. early electropop. they're cited as electronic music pioneers; that is only partially true, but they did bring synthesizers into mainstream use, and are worth celebrating. their music holds up remarkably well today, despite the archaic nature of their songs. many people believe that we owe the way pop music sounds today to them entirely. i can't vouch for it. i can only tell you that their stuff rules.

outside of the 70s, the 80s had good stuff, too. i'm not too well versed in synthesizer-based 80s pop; like any trend, too much of it just sounds dated now for me to enjoy it. but the 80s were significant because they helped spawn genres like hardcore, dream pop, and shoegaze. check out this stuff, which can be any of the above:
  • minutemen
  • black flag
  • minor threat
  • husker du
  • pixies
  • galaxie 500 (my personal favorite)
  • cocteau twins (they share the favorite status with galaxie 500)
  • sonic youth
  • dinosaur jr.
  • my bloody valentine
  • spacemen 3
  • the smiths
  • kate bush (she rules.)
  • new order
  • tears for fears
  • orchestral manoeuvres in the dark (OMD)
  • R.E.M.
  • talk talk
  • boredoms (so amazing. but not for the faint of heart.)
  • prince

i'm not terribly well-versed on the 90s in general. alt rock is not totally my thing. meh. but there were great bands in the 90s, and also amazing solo performers, like..

• pavement
  • stereolab
  • slowdive
  • beck
  • bjork
  • cat power
  • primal scream
  • spiritualized (ex-spacemen 3)
  • weezer (only until pinkerton, though.)
  • sigur ros
  • lush
  • neutral milk hotel
  • liz phair
  • early boris
  • aphex twin
  • daft punk

the 2000s, "aughties", what have you, had great stuff, too, although to me it seemed less centered around a theme and more like a melting pot of stuff. that just means the good music is all over the place. among the great bands are..

• animal collective
  • annie
  • ariel pink's haunted graffiti
  • asobi seksu
  • atlas sound (solo deerhunter. bradford cox is amazing. total visionary.)
  • the avalanches (recommended if you love daft punk)
  • beach house (UGH THEY RULE SO MUCH)
  • black dice (incredible, simply. noise-heavy ambient music, sort of... but it's all great. very sensory music.)
  • broken social scene
  • crystal castles
  • cut copy
  • death from above 1979
  • DEERHUNTER (of course. i love them so much... you don't understand.)
  • fennesz
  • the field
  • gorillaz
  • grizzly bear
  • jay-z (well, he started in the 90s..)
  • justice
  • the knife
  • kylie minogue (she started ages ago, but her more recent music seems much cooler by comparison.)
  • liars (arguably one of the best bands of the 2000s in my mind. i have to be in a certain mood to listen, but they're just great.)
  • lotus plaza
  • m83 (very melodramatic music. recommended if you love synthesizer-laden 80s pop - this guy drools over that stuff.)
  • mew
  • MGMT
  • no age
  • of montreal
  • the pains of being pure at heart
  • panda bear
  • phoenix
  • robyn
  • serena-maneesh
  • soren well
  • the xx
  • the white stripes
  • yeah yeah yeahs
  • lightning bolt
  • oh, and HEALTH

uggh sorry even though I started this thread I actually sort of suck at recommending people music. I feel like I might make a general recommendation though: anyone who doesn't already listen to Arcade Fire should check them out. They are only going upwards in popularity and are super big right now and EXCELLENT, especially live. They are incredibly universally accessible (jocks at my school listen to them!!) and if you like Coldplay, Muse, or U2 (which a lot of people do) then you would like them. The only difference is those aforementioned three bands are not that good and Arcade Fire is. You might know them from the Where the Wild Things Are trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNfWC4Sgkcs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvokOD-EnMw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO7ZWfvCjBE

I recommend An Endless Sporadic.
Thanks for the suggestion. I listened to these guys and to be perfectly honest I didn't really like them. I mean they sounded fine and are obviously very technically skilled but their music seems way more like background music for a video game than something I would actually sit around and listen to. Thanks anyway for the suggestion, I appreciate it!

You have probably heard of / have listened before to some of these recommendations I'll make, so I'm going to list more of them: Built To Spill, Modest Mouse, Converge, Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Venetian Snares, Blackfield, Elf Power, Devendra Banhart, HORSE the band, The Pineapple Thief, Broken Social Scene, This Will Destroy You, Autechre, maudlin of the Well, Architecture in Helsinki, Kayo Dot, The Dismemberment Plan, Slint, Animals As Leaders, Gregor Samsa, God Is An Astronaut, dredg, The Fall Of Troy, Genghis Tron, Against Me!, Infected Mushroom, Slowdive, Between The Buried And Me, Cursive, Neutral Milk Hotel, At The Drive-In, The Appleseed Cast
Thanks so much, I really appreciate these!!! Most of these artists I have not actually listened to (only Modest Mouse, Aphex Twin, Broken Social Scene, dredg, and Neutral Milk Hotel, who I really like, dig but have yet to really get into, have yet to really listen to in full, dislike, and adore respectively). Rest assured I will check the other ones out!

Definitely check out Gorillaz, and I'm going to second Squarewalker's recommendation of Modest Mouse. You might be interested in The Clash too, although I dunno how late into their career you'd want to check out (I'm not a huge fan of most of Sandinista!, although Magnificent Seven is pretty cool). Cage the Elephant are pretty good.
Thanks a lot! I have in fact heard all three of Gorillaz' albums. In fact, Demon Days was basically the album that got me into music. I do really like them but Plastic Beach I did feel took away a lot of the things that made me like Demon Days so much. Still pretty good stuff though! The Clash I also listen to and also really like. Cage the Elephant I do not. Anyway, I appreciate the suggestions!

benwayshouse:

We have very similar taste in music!! Almost every band on your 00s list I really like (until pretty recently I only listened to stuff made in the last five years or so, for whatever reason), and every band earlier than that which I have heard I also adore. You might also like Wavves, Dirty Projectors, jj, Neon Indian, Japandroids, Dan Deacon, Fucked Up, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Joanna Newsom, Death (the punk band, not the death metal band) and Burial, although you've probably already heard all or most of those. :\

Here's a slightly unorthodox recommendation: I know you already like Animal Collective, but even people who adore their latest albums sometimes don't bother to go all the way back in their discography. This is a shame, because (imho), their debut (Spirit They've Gone, Spirit They've Vanished) is almost unilaterally their best, and definitely one of the best albums I've ever heard, rivaled only by Kid A and Loveless and maybe something else I'm forgetting. Listening to it is such a bizarre, magical experience - it literally sounds like no album I have ever heard, and I mean that without hyperbole. The crazy thing is that it's not even that experimental - most of the songs either have pretty standard song structures or are short instrumentals and most of the instruments are just your standard piano, drums, guitar so it's not like Danse Manatee which is pure noise. I recommend this so hard.

[*]boredoms (so amazing. but not for the faint of heart.)
This band is soooooooo cool, but I can't ever get more than 1/3 through Pop Tatari without feeling like my head is going to explode. :O

[*]oh, and HEALTH
This band's 11:30 half-hour set at Lolla might have been the best show I have ever seen, and I've seen Tool, Radiohead, Bruce Springsteen, and like fifty others. This band is just so extreme in every direction - violently loud atonal guitars, crazy drums, angelic vocals and an incredible stage presence. I love you for mentioning them.

Back
Top Bottom