• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Collectible Games

Sandstone-Shadow

A chickadee in love with the sky
Pronoun
she/her
Do you guys still own the cardboard boxes and instruction manuals for your old games? (RBY, GSC, RSE, etc)

I know I never owned boxes for Red or Blue, and I have boxes for RS and FRLG. At one point in my life, I know I owned boxes for Yellow, Silver, Crystal, and Emerald, but I can't find them - I may have thrown some of them out. I keep hoping that I'll find them around the house someday, but deep down, I think I may actually have gotten rid of them. Probably because of Pokémon, I have this drive to collect things, and having "incomplete copies" of these games is irksome. However, it's a lot of money to buy boxes or new, complete versions of the game, and I need to remind myself that I have better things to save/spend my money on.

How about anyone else? Do you collect all of the packaging and instruction manuals, official guides, anything like that?

I was actually thinking yesterday whether I should throw out my boxes for some of the more recent DS/3DS Pokémon games. I have cases that can hold multiple games so I don't really need them, and I don't really have an argument for it being for the collectorness of it, because I don't have the boxes for some of the older games.

On the other hand, it's nice to have "spines" on a shelf you can alphabetise to easily find what you're looking for. I just wish 3DS boxes came with GBA slots like DS ones did.

Anyway the boxes I have are all UK boxes (so they have a PEGI rating on them and the DS boxes are thicker than US ones) include:
FireRed, Sapphire, HeartGold, SoulSilver, Black, White2 (US region), X, AlphaSapphire (and a steelbook), Colosseum (with a second disc slot for Pokémon Box) and XD.

My unboxed games include:
Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Emerald, Diamond

As I said in Zim's thread about him getting a copy of Box, I suppose I have a good reason to at least try collecting all the games, since I have so many of them already. I've wanted a copy of Crystal for ages.

I have prima guides for RBY and FRLG, as well. One of them says Pidgey's rarity is "only one".

I still have a random Pokémon Emerald manual in my bedside drawer!

I also have a boxed N64 copy of Majora's Mask, albeit not a well-preserved relic of my childhood. I only got it a few years ago because it was on sale for barely any more than a cartridge on its own (and with a free strategy guide to boot!). Other than that any cartridge-based video game paraphernalia I still have hanging around had its packaging discarded long ago, apart from DS/3DS games, all of which have their boxes intact and stacked on a shelf never to be used again. I guess a plastic case just seems more important and less like useless packaging than a generic cardboard box?

I have prima guides for RBY and FRLG, as well. One of them says Pidgey's rarity is "only one".

I once owned a prima Red and Blue guide that I inadvertently stole from a neighbour who moved away while I was still borrowing it, whose Pokédex section stoutly maintained throughout Squirtle, Wartortle and Blastoise's entries that Water Gun's type is "Water Gun".

All my DS and up games still have their box (except HG doesn't have the outder box, just the case) and manuals. And I have an extremely beat up Prima guide for Ruby and Sapphire. All my GBC and GBA games are unboxed.

I actually bought all of my earlier Pokemon games at garage sales and such, so Pearl is the first game I bought new, and had a box for. I was very intense about buying and saving game boxes, but then I realized how convenient it was to buy games on the eShop? Now I haven't bought a physical game for like a year, haha.

I do have like 3 Game Boys in various states of disrepair, though! One's had a Pokemon Yellow cartridge in it for like 10 years now.

Oh, totally. Unfortunately all that stuff is at home so I can't actually review what I've got, but I know at least Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, LeafGreen, and Pearl boxes + insert booklets, a Red insert booklet and a Yellow insert booklet, and plenty more besides. I also keep all the random paraphernalia given out at various events etc., like the Emerald tin and bonus promo insert, the FireRed/LeafGreen Pocket Trainer's Guide, the Colosseum Jirachi bonus disc, my official pokémon trainer license I got at Journey Across America... all kinds of fun, unusual stuff. I gave away most of my pokémon cards, but I kept some of my favorites and display them on a special stand that I got at this one Toys 'R' Us TCG event years ago.

Basically if I had the opportunity to receive free stuff ever you can bet that I jumped at it and still have whatever the thing was, even if it was pretty crappy.

(Oh yeah, I still have my original Eon Ticket! And also all the E-Reader cards they made, do you even remember those?)

i'd remember the e-reader cards if they'd ever!!! released the e-reader or any of that shit in europe!! /still bitter abt it

but i only have my hardcase (i.e. DS and up) boxes - i never kept any of the cardboard ones, partly because i would have wrecked them anyway & younger me did not care for collectibles. i still have some of the old prima guides (i definitely still have the pokemon stadium 2 one - i remember using it to complete the classroom? thing? lmao)

between me and my brother i'm pretty sure we have every main pokemon game and most of the spin-offs (excluding the mystery dungeon sequels, pokemon dash, box, battle revolution or any 3D battle sim game past stadium 2 because what's the point if there's no minigames :C)

Back
Top Bottom