• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Double-Take Mafia

Hmm. Well, I'm inclined to lynch RedneckPhoenix again, as he's been suspect, and then tomorrow, nobody should actually be dead and we'll have a bit more information.

I know abilities aren't supposed to be alignment-indicative in this game, but I can't help noting that both sanderidge and Stryke have abilities that are kind of more beneficial to mafia than town - Stryke more so, since he discovers abilities, which are explicitly not supposed to be alignment-indicative - that's extremely useful for the mafia, who'll find out what power roles to target, but not that useful for town. Mafia pretty much have no incentive to lie about their abilities in this game, so we can pretty much expect to get accurate information simply by asking for claims.

Hmm. Well, I'm inclined to lynch RedneckPhoenix again, as he's been suspect, and then tomorrow, nobody should actually be dead and we'll have a bit more information.

I know abilities aren't supposed to be alignment-indicative in this game, but I can't help noting that both sanderidge and Stryke have abilities that are kind of more beneficial to mafia than town - Stryke more so, since he discovers abilities, which are explicitly not supposed to be alignment-indicative - that's extremely useful for the mafia, who'll find out what power roles to target, but not that useful for town. Mafia pretty much have no incentive to lie about their abilities in this game, so we can pretty much expect to get accurate information simply by asking for claims.

Y'know, I haven't really thought about it that much, but when you put it that way, I guess it does sound a bit suspect. But in my defense, I've been trying to help out the town as best I can with my ability. For instance, my roleclaim post didn't just serve as an attempt to get me off the list of potential lynchees; it gave you guys ideas of what other abilities could be floating out there so you could have more information to go off of, and later, made sure that you guys couldn't lie about your abilities (and yes I know Butterfree said mafia don't have incentive to lie about their abilities, but it never hurts to have confirmation of that).

I realize that its kind of pompous of me to assume those two things, and maybe I'm completely wrong on both points, but the main overarching point of all that was I'm just trying to do the best I can for the town with what I got.

Also looking to lynch RedneckPhoenix. I watched over him last night just in case he wasn't the mafia and they had been looking to finish him, but nobody showed up.

Also looking to lynch RedneckPhoenix. I watched over him last night just in case he wasn't the mafia and they had been looking to finish him, but nobody showed up.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: I'mma lynch RedneckPhoenix as well.

Stryke, what was the result of your night action?

Did anyone get told RNP targeted them (and RNP, whom did you target)?

checking in! I'll also vote for RedneckPhoenix.

also the house ac is down so it's really hot to sit where my laptop can charge, so I'll be mostly posting from my phone. these darn uppercase "I"s.

Guys, work with me here. Can you please answer my questions? Otherwise I'll be forced to start to regard evasiveness as suspect.

Stryke, what was the result of your night action?

Tried inspecting Phoenix to see if there were any significant details he left out about his second ability, but it must not have gone through, because I never got the results.

Hrrrmmm.

Well, sande says you did and they just didn't register it until now, but I find this a little convenient. My vote's staying on RNP, and if he turns out to be mafia (and lynching him doesn't end the game), I'm going to have to start side-eyeing sande a little more.

Meanwhile, to something rather more interesting: Zero Moment claims to have watched over RedneckPhoenix last night and that he wasn't targeted - but I targeted him last night. sande targeted Stryke (which they told me yesterday privately before Stryke claimed to have been blocked in the thread), so clearly I wasn't blocked. How do you explain this discrepancy, ZM?

Hm, that's interesting. My report specifically stated that nobody visited him last night. So the only thing I can think of is either your action failed and you weren't informed, or your action was redirected to someone else. Or your ability doesn't count as 'visiting' for some reason. What exactly were you attempting?

Healing. It was a last-ditch effort to see if I could actually potentially clear RedneckPhoenix if there were no kill. Probably not the best choice in retrospect, but I got hung up on that idea after the confusion yesterday.

In theory the issue could be that it doesn't actually count as visiting unless the person actually needs healing, but that's an unnecessarily complex way for the role to work. I wish the mechanics here weren't so up in the air; it's hard to reason about night actions when we have no idea how they're actually resolved.

(apologies for the late update, I've been a little under the weather lately)

RedneckPhoenix, the Town-aligned Duelist, has been eliminated.

As RedneckPhoenix walks away, sanderidge and Stryke exchange knowing looks.

"So you two were behind those posters!" Butterfree says.

"Here's how it's gonna go down," Stryke says. "You two can't touch us. In the next couple of days, we'll 'eliminate you.' And then we'll own this town."

sanderidge: "By 'eliminate', he means, 'send you on overseas trips.' "

Zero Moment: "Come on. Like, seven people live in this town. What's the point of all this? Was this all some sort of ploy to send people on overseas trips?"

sanderidge and Stryke had already walked away.

--

With 4 players left, the number of non-eliminated mafia is greater than or equal to the number of non-eliminated town. The Mafia team of sanderidge and Stryke wins!

[hide=Eifie, Town Socialite (neighborizer, one-shot vig)]- Network: (active, nightly, single target) You may communicate freely with your target only during the day phase immediately after you use this ability. You can't communicate with anyone who's eliminated, and you can't target the same person on consecutive nights with this ability.

- Pull Strings: (active, once in the game, single target) If you use this ability during a night phase, your target will be killed at the end of the night. If you use this ability during a day phase, your target will be killed as soon as the host processes your action, and the day's duration and vote count will be reset. You may only use this ability once, but using it doesn't count as losing it for the purposes of elimination.
- Watch: (active, nightly, single target) Learn the names of any player(s), besides yourself, who visit your target. You can't target yourself with this ability.

- Track: (active, nightly, single target) Learn the names of any player(s) who your target visits. You can't use this ability in the same night as Watch.
- Challenge: (active, once in the game during the day, single target) Once you activate this ability, votes may only be cast for you or your target for the rest of the day, and the day's duration and vote count will be reset. You may only use this ability once, but using it doesn't count as losing it for the purposes of elimination.

- Impress: (active, nightly, single target) Your chosen target will be alerted that you visited them in the night.
- Phone a Friend: (passive) You can communicate freely with {sanderidge} as long as you have access to this ability and that player has access to the ability {Phone an Ally}.

- Heal: (active, nightly, single target) Your chosen target cannot be killed overnight. You can't target yourself with this ability, and you can't target the same person on consecutive nights with this ability.
- Intercept: (active, nightly, single target) If your target is killed overnight or in the day phase immediately after you use this ability, they will survive and you will lose this ability. You can't target the same person on consecutive nights with this ability.

- Prophesy: (active, nightly, single target) When you lose this ability, one of your most recent target's abilities will be revealed publicly along with their name. If your target hasn't lost any abilities, it will be their first ability. If they have lost their first ability, it will be their second ability. You do not need to designate a new target every night, but if your target has been eliminated since you designated them, nothing will be revealed.
"visit" was meant to be synonymous with "successfully target" for Zero Moment's abilities. Flora's ability was supposed to function like this, with targets carrying over between nights. The original role can't be roleblocked but I didn't include that in this version, so being roleblocked just prevented the change in target.

- Phone an Ally: (passive) You can communicate freely with {Butterfree, who does not know your alignment,} as long as you have access to this ability and that player has access to the ability {Phone a Friend}.

- Dissuade: (active, nightly, single target) Your chosen target's active action(s) overnight will not be carried out. You can't target the same person on consecutive nights with this ability.
- Inspect: (active, nightly, single target) If your target hasn't lost any abilities, learn their first ability. If they have lost their first ability, learn their second ability. You can't target the same person on consecutive nights with this ability.

- Sneak: (active, once in the game, no target) The night that you use this ability, investigative roles will find that you didn't visit anyone. You may only use this ability once, but using it doesn't count as losing it for the purposes of elimination.
- Mafia Kill: (active, compulsory nightly, single target) Kill your chosen target. You can use this ability in the same night as any of your other active abilities. This kill will be carried out by the member of the Mafia who sends the kill order, and the last kill order received will be processed. If no kill orders are sent, a random living member of the Mafia will kill a random living member of the Town. You can't target yourself or your Mafia partner with this ability.

- Mafia Contact: (passive) Your Mafia partner is sanderidge/Stryke. You can communicate freely with them.[/hide]
Both mafia were meant to be able to "infiltrate" the town to an extent, with abilities that could let them find or circumvent town's strongest roles.
Night 0
sanderidge roleblocks Zero Moment.
Eifie networks with sanderidge.
Stryke role-cops Butterfree.
Flora targets Stryke with Prophesy.
Butterfree heals sanderidge.
sanderidge kills Eifie.
Flora bodyguards Butterfree.
RedneckPhoenix visits Eifie.
Zero Moment watches Butterfree, but is roleblocked.

→ Stryke learns Butterfree's ability Phone A Friend.
Flora's Prophesy target is now Stryke.
Eifie and sanderidge can communicate for the next day phase.
Eifie is alerted of RedneckPhoenix's visit.
Zero Moment learns that he couldn't get any results.

Eifie is killed, losing the ability Network.

Day 1
No one is lynched.

Night 1
sanderidge roleblocks RedneckPhoenix.
Stryke role-cops RedneckPhoenix.
Flora targets Eifie with Prophesy.
Butterfree heals RedneckPhoenix.
sanderidge kills RedneckPhoenix, but RedneckPhoenix is healed.
Eifie kills Flora.
Flora bodyguards Eifie.
RedneckPhoenix visits Stryke, but is roleblocked.
Zero Moment watches Eifie.

→ Stryke learns RedneckPhoenix's ability Challenge.
Flora's Prophesy target is now Eifie.
Eifie used up the shot of Pull Strings.
Zero Moment learns that Flora targeted Eifie.

Flora is killed, losing the ability Intercept.

Day 2
No one is lynched.

Night 2
sanderidge roleblocks Flora.
Stryke role-cops Zero Moment.
Flora targets Butterfree with Prophesy, but is roleblocked. Flora's Prophesy target doesn't change from Eifie.
Butterfree heals Eifie.
Stryke kills Flora.
RedneckPhoenix visits Flora.
Zero Moment watches sanderidge.

→ Stryke learns Zero Moment's ability Watch.
Flora is alerted of RedneckPhoenix's visit.
Zero Moment learns that no one targeted sanderidge.

Flora is killed, losing the ability Prophesy. Flora is now eliminated.
Eifie's ability Pull Strings is revealed.

Day 3
RedneckPhoenix challenges Eifie. Only RedneckPhoenix and Eifie can be lynched today.
RedneckPhoenix is lynched, losing the ability Challenge.

Night 3
Stryke uses Sneak. Stryke can't be seen by Zero Moment.
sanderidge roleblocks Butterfree.
Butterfree heals RedneckPhoenix, but is roleblocked.
Stryke kills Eifie.
RedneckPhoenix visits sanderidge.
Zero Moment watches RedneckPhoenix.

→ sanderidge is alerted of RedneckPhoenix's visit.
Zero Moment learns that no one targeted RedneckPhoenix, since Butterfree was roleblocked.
Stryke used up the shot of Sneak.

Eifie is killed, losing the ability Pull Strings. Eifie is now eliminated.

Day 4
RedneckPhoenix is lynched, losing the ability Impress. RedneckPhoenix is now eliminated. The Mafia win.
When designing this setup I actually thought that mafia would be disadvantaged by the core mechanic, because town has more coordination than if each ability were given to a separate player. Single-target actions can incriminate players instead of abilities, so town could potentially catch 2 of the 4 effective mafia in one night (having lots of "indecisive" actions was meant to mitigate this).

In practice, though, I think the mechanic (and the execution) turned out more scum-sided - it's possible for town to lose even when they've caught both the mafia, just because they can't lynch quickly enough - and in this setup in particular, the mafia had too many ways to counteract town's actions, and I wasn't clear about how some roles functioned, which led to confusion. If there's interest in another game with this mechanic down the line, I'll be keeping this in mind.

In any case, thanks for playing, everyone! I hope you found the game fun!

lol @ this, good post

Also, I spent most of my alive time and all of my dead time telling Keldeo about how so very mafia you were, heheh...

nyahaha! also, due to my sheer amount of social networking, stryke's ability, and flora's well timed demise, we knew what Everyone could do for pretty much the entire game. the only surprise was butterfree being a doc, but even then! hehehe.

lol @ this, good post

Also, I spent most of my alive time and all of my dead time telling Keldeo about how so very mafia you were, heheh...

Eifie: so it's bfree and ZM, eh :O

in which I get everything completely wrong

Back
Top Bottom