• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Challenge Board

calling all surskitties

Format: 2 v 2 single
Style: set
DQ: two weeks
Damage Cap: 45%
Banned/Restricted Moves: ohko, pure recovery moves, rest
Arena Description: A large field of shin-high grass stretches farther than the eye - or anyone's pair of binoculars - can see. A stream flows from north to south through the arena, with a few scattered rocks by its edge. It's about a meter and a half wide, and half a meter deep. It isn't flowing very fast; just about any Pokémon that can swim should be fine if they fall in.
Profile link: http://asb.dragonflycave.com/trainers/36-meursault

Last edited:
idk why you guys are fighting over first challenge when my challenge is literally in the first post
This is a challenge for Music Dragon!
Format: 4 vs 4, single
Style: Switch
DQ: Two weeks
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Chills 3/Pokemon
Arena Description: Tiny Island
This small island is only the size of a tennis court, covered in soft white sand and dotted with a few coconut trees. The island is surrounded by a cool, blue ocean. Buoys are marked around the island 100m from the shore, and mark the arena's boundary. It's a clear, warm day, and Sunny Day is in effect.
Additional Rules: Coconuts can be thrown at an opponent for 2% typeless damage, but they first need to be acquired by either spending an action shaking or climbing to the top of a tree.
Profile link: here
I accepting your challenge! Here is my profile!

calling all surskitties

Arena Description: A large field of shin-high grass stretches farther than the eye - or anyone's pair of binoculars - can see. A stream flows from north to south through the arena, with a few scattered rocks by its edge. It's about a meter and a half wide, and half a meter deep. It isn't flowing very fast; just about any Pokémon that can swim should be fine if they fall in.
And at least three surskitties shall accept!

calling all surskitties

I'll ref this one.

the radio waves amplify Electric-type attacks and cause them to do 25% more damage

just fyi, always use fractions or preferably decimals for this sort of thing ("1/4 more damage" or "1.25x damage"), since "25% damage" is taken to mean 25 whole HP of damage in ASB, which I doubt is what you mean.

And while I'm here, imma claim Gevaisa vs DarkAura to try and get my reffing legs back. (I've not been added to the list of approved referees in the Ref HQ or anything, but Zhorken said in the re-opening announcement that I didn't need to retake the entry test or anything so I'm assuming I'm good.)

And an open challenge, I guess.

Format: 2 v 2 singles
Style: switch
Banned/Restricted Moves: ohko, direct recovery, rest, chill limited to 3 per pokemon
Arena Description: A stand of tall evergreen trees are covered in snow. The hill they're standing on is covered in snow. I'm covered in snow. Everything is covered in snow. The snow isn't very deep yet, only about 4 or 5 inches, but it's still coming down at about an inch or two every round. If the snow gets to be over a foot deep, non-Ice Pokémon on the ground are reduced one stage in speed. Rain Dance has the same effect as Hail, and both last for 8 actions instead of the usual 5. The clouds are too thick for Sunny Day to take effect.

Challenge for Mai!

Format: 1v1 single
Style: Set
DQ Time: 5 days
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, pure recovery moves, Chills 5/pokemon

Arena Description: Final Destination

Final Destination, no items, Fox only.

A large floating platform drifting through the scenic nebulas and galaxies of outer space, except fake space, with oxygen. An (inaccessible) pool of water has been installed below the stage; water can be drawn up through vents in the platform for attacks. The ref can decide what happens if you fall off the stage.

Additional rules: items aren't actually banned and you don't have to use fox

Profile link!

Format: 3v3, Single
DQ Time: 4 days
Damage Cap: 60%
Banned moves: OHKOs, Evasion, Swagger
Arena Description: In front of a radio tower

Pretty standard battlefield, except that the radio waves amplify Electric-type attacks and cause them to do 25% more damage.

Profile: http://asb.dragonflycave.com/trainers/30-ethers-bane
If no one's taken this I might as well if that's ok.

asb.dragonflycave.com/trainers/15-wargle

And an open challenge, I guess.

Format: 2 v 2 singles
Style: switch
Banned/Restricted Moves: ohko, direct recovery, rest, chill limited to 3 per pokemon
Arena Description: A stand of tall evergreen trees are covered in snow. The hill they're standing on is covered in snow. I'm covered in snow. Everything is covered in snow. The snow isn't very deep yet, only about 4 or 5 inches, but it's still coming down at about an inch or two every round. If the snow gets to be over a foot deep, non-Ice Pokémon on the ground are reduced one stage in speed. Rain Dance has the same effect as Hail, and both last for 8 actions instead of the usual 5. The clouds are too thick for Sunny Day to take effect.

I'll take this!

Challenge for Mai!

A large floating platform drifting through the scenic nebulas and galaxies of outer space, except fake space, with oxygen. An (inaccessible) pool of water has been installed below the stage; water can be drawn up through vents in the platform for attacks. The ref can decide what happens if you fall off the stage.

Profile link!
Accepting!

Challenge for Mai!

Profile link!

SETTLE IT IN SMASH

(I'll ref.)

For Dazel, here's the battle I promised you forever ago!

Format: 2v2 double
DQ: 10 days
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, direct recovery, Wish and Rest, chills limited to three per Pokemon
Arena Description: There's nothing special about this abandoned research facility: linoleum floors, brick walls, confusingly placed corridors, decaying a bit. The sole lightsource of the room the battle takes place in is a chandelier on the ceiling. If its supports are destroyed, the chandelier will fall, plunging the arena into darkness and dealing heavy Steel type damage to whatever or whoever it lands on. A persistent leak in the corner can serve as enough water for moves that need it, like Surf.
Profile link: Here!

And an open challenge:

Format: 2v2 single
Style: Switch
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: None!
Banned/Restricted Moves: All but Metronome, chills limited to 2 per Pokemon; only unevolved Pokemon allowed
Arena Description: What do you mean I can't learn Metronome?
A group of scientists researching the mechanics behind move learning have created a certainly non-Asber-FDA-approved drug that allows any Pokemon to temporarily learn Metronome, and the battling trainers and referee have been coerced/forced into helping test said drug. However, it's not entirely perfect yet; instead of spurring a steady waving of fingers (Metronome ~ Metronome ~ Metronome), the drug prompts a frenzied attack combination that is similar to using Metronome + Metronome + Metronome (so Pokemon that can't learn Metronome naturally must always be commanded with this string.) Also, Pokemon that can't learn Metronome naturally, being ravaged internally by the drug's side-effects, will take 2% damage at the end of every round. The actual battle takes place in a private testing facility, which is just a white-walled, fairly spacy room.

For Dazel, here's the battle I promised you forever ago!

Format: 2v2 double
DQ: 10 days
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, direct recovery, Wish and Rest, chills limited to three per Pokemon
Arena Description: There's nothing special about this abandoned research facility: linoleum floors, brick walls, confusingly placed corridors, decaying a bit. The sole lightsource of the room the battle takes place in is a chandelier on the ceiling. If its supports are destroyed, the chandelier will fall, plunging the arena into darkness and dealing heavy Steel type damage to whatever or whoever it lands on. A persistent leak in the corner can serve as enough water for moves that need it, like Surf.
Yes, this is excellent. I'm in!

Here's my profile link, although I'll ask whether or not the one below my avatar suffices?

Oh my god I thought this day might never come. Come at me, world!

Format: 3v3 singles
DQ: 7 days
Damage Cap: 25%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, direct heals
Arena Description: Inside the Magic Typewriter

It was a dark, stormy night...

The inner workings of the giant, omnipotent magic typewriter are yours to destroy battle in. For those refs/battlers who aren't familiar with how a typewriter works, neither am I what's important is that when the letters are hit, metal blocks with letter-shaped engravings fly up on poles and smack a black ink ribbon. There's a platform within that's of an arbitrary size; it's big enough for the battlers and it's big enough that there's no danger of falling off. There's enough room for any sort of movement, but there's no water, and there's no earth, so no digging. Just a platform for standing.

At the end of the round, a sentence is typed into the typewriter. The typewriter, being magic, will then warp reality for the next round. This warp is up to the referee after the first round, and the effects disappear at the end of the round. The warp must also be impartial, and affect both battlers equally. When the sentence is entered, the letters go flying, so at the end of the round, each Pokemon has a 10% chance (25% if they have not moved from the spot they began the round in) of being smacked with a metal letter and pressed into the ink ribbon; this will cause 3% damage and cover the Pokemon in black ink for the next round, raising evasion by 1 and lowering accuracy by 1 (unless the Pokemon has no eyes/is blind). This ink can be washed off with water, but will also fade at the end of the next round.

The first round begins with the classic "It was a dark, stormy night..." which causes the first round of the battle to have rainy weather.

Profile link: Here

Edit: because a third party arena effect was a late-night idea and is completely unnecessary since the ref can do it.

If no one else has taken this, I will!

Format: 3 v 3, single
Damage Cap: 33%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO moves, direct recovery moves, and Earthquake/Earth Power
Arena Description: The Soaked City at Night
Thunder echoing across a long distance, this is the pinnacle of human architecture and technology; a gigantic, sprawling city, wrapped in miles of endless roads, and boasted a population of well in the millions of humans and pokemon. The city is planted with hundreds of sleek skyscrapers and dark buildings, yet despite the sheer scale of the city, and the number of living organisms, it was a remarkably clean metropolis, thanks to of course the abundance of services of pokemon and officials.

Normally battles are very difficult to hold outside. Of course, there were facilities specialized for battling, but with the sheer amount of trainers, it was rare to find one that was available making, the only other options to either host underground battles and risk incarceration, or to leave. This battle is one of the former.

The time of day is barely past eight o'clock. The city was much more quiet than usual, having endured a sudden deluge and lightning. This of course makes it much easier to host an underground battle, over a lonely street, as there was no business to be had in an empty neighbourhood. This road is 30 by 10 meters, and is completely abandon at night, other than the occasional Rattata and Pidgey, surrounded by somewhat tall but desolate apartments, relics of the city at it's older years. The weather is murky. but slowly clearing into a beautiful night skyline, and the thunder grows quieter and quieter by the minute

Due to the recent weather, fire moves are slightly weakened by 1% due to the damp covering the ground. Additionally, due to the wet surface and the electrifying air, electric moves are somewhat powered by 1%, though this water can be dried with heat and wind, and eventually the air will be normal, so this can be removed over the course of the battle. Also, the black, shiny road is very slippery, making it difficult for heavier pokemon to move properly.

As a last note, this is still an illegal battle in the eyes of the city. Although this area is usually isolated from the pell-mell, there still runs a risk of the police arriving. Property damage and sound based attacks will make it more likely to give the location away. If they do show up, then the battle will be relocated to a different area in the city, such as a nearby empty warehouse or alleyway.

Profile link: In my signature ~

Format: 3 v 3, single
Damage Cap: 33%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO moves, direct recovery moves, and Earthquake/Earth Power
Arena Description: The Soaked City at Night
Thunder echoing across a long distance, this is the pinnacle of human architecture and technology; a gigantic, sprawling city, wrapped in miles of endless roads, and boasted a population of well in the millions of humans and pokemon. The city is planted with hundreds of sleek skyscrapers and dark buildings, yet despite the sheer scale of the city, and the number of living organisms, it was a remarkably clean metropolis, thanks to of course the abundance of services of pokemon and officials.

Normally battles are very difficult to hold outside. Of course, there were facilities specialized for battling, but with the sheer amount of trainers, it was rare to find one that was available making, the only other options to either host underground battles and risk incarceration, or to leave. This battle is one of the former.

The time of day is barely past eight o'clock. The city was much more quiet than usual, having endured a sudden deluge and lightning. This of course makes it much easier to host an underground battle, over a lonely street, as there was no business to be had in an empty neighbourhood. This road is 30 by 10 meters, and is completely abandon at night, other than the occasional Rattata and Pidgey, surrounded by somewhat tall but desolate apartments, relics of the city at it's older years. The weather is murky. but slowly clearing into a beautiful night skyline, and the thunder grows quieter and quieter by the minute

Due to the recent weather, fire moves are slightly weakened by 1% due to the damp covering the ground. Additionally, due to the wet surface and the electrifying air, electric moves are somewhat powered by 1%, though this water can be dried with heat and wind, and eventually the air will be normal, so this can be removed over the course of the battle. Also, the black, shiny road is very slippery, making it difficult for heavier pokemon to move properly.

As a last note, this is still an illegal battle in the eyes of the city. Although this area is usually isolated from the pell-mell, there still runs a risk of the police arriving. Property damage and sound based attacks will make it more likely to give the location away. If they do show up, then the battle will be relocated to a different area in the city, such as a nearby empty warehouse or alleyway.

Profile link: In my signature ~
I'll accept this. Link is, of course, near my contact info in the header.

Back
Top Bottom