• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Assistance getting a background image to work. o.o

Most likely, even if your site was the size of Google's or even Serebii, that still wouldn't be an excuse for a massive stylesheet.

Nick, I'm having the impression you have no idea what you're talking about.

Unless you have a crappy host, then you shouldn't worry about stylesheets. This is because the .css will often be cached by the browser, so it will only be downloaded once, along with .js and image files.

In-fact, after checking my visitor logs for VGL, I found that the stylesheets are a very trivial concern as far as my bandwidth goes, because it is still in the KB zone when it comes to bandwidth consumption.

I've never actually been able to check the bandwidth used by certain aspects of a site, and I've never really had to worry about bandwidth, however, I do know that some hosts out there offer some pretty horrible packages when it comes to bandwidth - some offering 250 MB, which really isn't much.

But yeah, I really have no experience when it comes to speaking about bandwidth, sorry.

Uh, 250mb isn't really not-much for sites without a lot of images. And there are many better hosts out there.

If you are distributing huge files, then it might be better if you hosted them remotely.

1073741824 bytes = 1048576kb = 1024mb = 1gb
TCoD's global stylesheet is 2407 characters; even if the stylesheet were only one hundredth of the page, then about one thousand pages could be loaded before going over bandwidth. This ignores caching and extra stylesheets, but really, your content should probably be less than ninetynine times the size of your stylesheet.

Last edited:
Well, I suppose you're right. After going and checking the size of the images that I used in my layout, 250 MB could be a lot, if you didn't have many images in your content.

Back
Top Bottom