• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

Can one command a Pokemon to use a move like Thunder, which comes from the sky rather than the Pokemon, on itself?

this seems like it'd be a ref judgment call, but i'd allow it, bearing in mind that it still has 70% accuracy. i suppose an argument could be made that it'd be higher, since it's not targeting an opponent who will try to dodge, but again: ref judgment calls

Can one command a Pokemon to use a move like Thunder, which comes from the sky rather than the Pokemon, on itself?
Most moves are in principle usable against oneself; if you're hoping to trigger Volt Absorb or the like with it, however, these abilities don't respond to the user's own moves.

I TRUSTED YOU POKÉMON SHOWDOWN

To be fair, whatever works in pokémon showdown will work in-game. I have yet to find an instance of incorrect mechanics.

It just happens that activation before removal does happen on pokémon showdown. I believe it's because the items' effects are tied to the damage from the attack, not the attack's effect or the user's health.

How does Big Root interact with Oblivion Wing/Draining Kiss, since they already restore 3/4 of the health/energy drained?

To be fair, whatever works in pokémon showdown will work in-game. I have yet to find an instance of incorrect mechanics.

It just happens that activation before removal does happen on pokémon showdown. I believe it's because the items' effects are tied to the damage from the attack, not the attack's effect or the user's health.

Off the top of my head, on Showdown Eject Button and Sitrus Berry aren't activated when Knocked Off.

Off the top of my head, on Showdown Eject Button and Sitrus Berry aren't activated when Knocked Off.
Ah, but Sitrus Berry doesn't respond to Knock Off. A Colbur Berry, however, would.

Don't ask me about Eject Button though. (Or, well, since the entire point of this thread is asking me/blazhy things, I'll have to look it up soon)

How does Big Root interact with Oblivion Wing/Draining Kiss, since they already restore 3/4 of the health/energy drained?
Hrrrmmmm, good question. Since this is ostensibly a mechanic, and also one that wasn't ever the matter until Gen VI, I might not be in the authority to set an answer to that (although, if I had to come up with something, I'd make it so they heal 3.5/4 of the health/energy drained, or 3.75/4, or something like that).

Is enigma berry effectively "take half the damage from a super-effective move"? The description suggests that but the price looks too high for such a thing (meanwhile the ingame effect is recovering as much health as a sitrus berry, but with a different trigger condition). Also, are the healing and status recovery berries still triggered at a set health/upon being statused, or do they now take an action to use?

For that matter, do the type-resist berries have trigger conditions in ASB or are they also only used consensually at the price of an action?

Don't ask me about Eject Button though. (Or, well, since the entire point of this thread is asking me/blazhy things, I'll have to look it up soon)
Since Eject button activates after the attack, not during it.
Hrrrmmmm, good question. Since this is ostensibly a mechanic, and also one that wasn't ever the matter until Gen VI, I might not be in the authority to set an answer to that (although, if I had to come up with something, I'd make it so they heal 3.5/4 of the health/energy drained, or 3.75/4, or something like that).
In-game it heals somewhere around 97.5% or something inconsistent. I think a good guideline might be that it restores health equal to the total damage inflicted minus 1%.

For that matter, do the type-resist berries have trigger conditions in ASB or are they also only used consensually at the price of an action?
Ah, sorry, didn't see the first question, so to answer both: items that have trigger conditions can be used immediately without taking an action, but intentionally consuming an item after the triggering does take an action. (I don't recall whether you can insta-consume an item when the conditions for its consumption are met a second time, or whether passing up the chance to insta-use the first time means passing up the chance to insta-use at all; I'll have to check, although if I had to guess, I'd put my chips on the former)

can refresh be used to purge freeze?

(it can't ingame but)
No more than it can be used to heal sleep (which it can't).

In-game it heals somewhere around 97.5% or something inconsistent. I think a good guideline might be that it restores health equal to the total damage inflicted minus 1%.
We aren't exactly following the in-game proportion to the letter, all things considered...

That could work.

I know how trigger conditions vs deliberate use works; what I'm asking if those things have their ingame trigger conditions at all. The trigger conditions for the listed berries are not in the database.

Also, that question about the enigma berry's effects, for that matter.

I know how trigger conditions vs deliberate use works; what I'm asking if those things have their ingame trigger conditions at all. The trigger conditions for the listed berries are not in the database.

Also, that question about the enigma berry's effects, for that matter.
They all do (although there may or may not be some imprecision as to how much health percentage left one must have in order to consume an HP-healing berry; I don't recall if Negrek ever had any settings down, so use the in-game thresholds in doubt). And yes, Enigma Berry can be insta-used in response to a super-effective hit.

It was indeed a thing in the hack era, and I don't know why. I'd rather just stick with Ability Capsules.

Close the mistake ones (assuming one of those three is not a mistake) and tell it they ended before anything happened.

Ah, so they're put there before the thread is linked. Inconvenient, since they can't be closed in that form, trivial though it is to add a link. Anyway, persistent 500 errors when I try to close them (as a tie, before anything happened).

Back
Top Bottom