• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggestion Box

Stunfisk gets Limber, but is already immune to paralysis due to being an Electric-type. I think we should compensate by giving Limber Stunfisk some other effect, like being immune to Speed drops or whatever.

And Levitate Fan Rotom is doubly immune to ground attacks... I don't see why we should create exceptions for Pokémon with unfitting abilities.

Especially when Stunfisk has another and much more useful ability in Static, and Rotom has other useful forms.

uv and I were discussing Aqua Ring last night, more specifically how after paying the initial 5% energy cost you get 1% health restored per action for free indefinitely unless you switch. When you consider other ways to achieve a similar effect like Leech Seed, Ingrain, and Leftovers, they all have ways for the opponent to counter them: a Leech Seed could be burned off, the roots for Ingrain could be destroyed (also, the Ingrain user can't move), and Leftovers can be stolen or knocked off. Aqua Ring doesn't have any counters at all. We thought of a few ways to offset it:

1. Charge 1% energy per round (not per action) for upkeep. At least there's a cost for it that way, but there's still no way for an opponent to remove it.
  2. Make Aqua Ring last 9 actions like the weather moves, Water Sport, and Mud Sport.
  3. Make the Aqua Ring stay stationary, so the user has to stay still to keep feeling its effects and once they move out of it, they don't regain the health anymore until they move back, and the opponent has the chance to run in and steal the Aqua Ring for itself. (This was my personal favourite option.)

Thoughts?

The upkeep cost makes more sense in my opinion, as unlike ingrain or leech seed, which have an actual reason of staying in place (ie: roots), whereas Aqua Ring just floats into place with... magic?

Alternatively, it could be possible to disrupt it like leech seed or ingrain... It could be boiled away, frozen in place, absorbed by grass-type attacks, electrified, polluted, etc. It's a simple veil of refreshing water, corrupting it in any fashion seems feasible.

bringing Defeatist back up, here are the ideas we currently have...

• 1.2x base power above 50%, 0.9x otherwise
  • +2 to final damage above 50%, -1 otherwise
suggestions?

So, re: this, nobody actually seemed to have any preference as to which option we should pick. I've narrowed it down to the most likely two. I'm kind of partial to multiplication because additive boosts/reductions do weird things to attacks with low BP and are kind of negligible for attacks with high BP.

And Levitate Fan Rotom is doubly immune to ground attacks... I don't see why we should create exceptions for Pokémon with unfitting abilities.

Especially when Stunfisk has another and much more useful ability in Static, and Rotom has other useful forms.
Because it's boring for an ability to be completely redundant. That's part of the charm of ASB: we're able to take things that aren't viable or useful in the games and make them fun.

Although Stunfisk does get Camouflage, so I suppose it's not an entirely worthless ability after all...

So, re: this, nobody actually seemed to have any preference as to which option we should pick. I've narrowed it down to the most likely two. I'm kind of partial to multiplication because additive boosts/reductions do weird things to attacks with low BP and are kind of negligible for attacks with high BP.

This. I've always been irked by additive boosts for this reason.

I think most people preferred the multiplicative bonus the first time this got brought up as well, so in the interest of making people's Archen usable as soon as possible I'm just going to go ahead and change it. If you want to say something in favour of the additive bonuses, though, feel free! (And if this boost turns out to be too powerful, we'll revisit this topic.)

[*] Make the Aqua Ring stay stationary, so the user has to stay still to keep feeling its effects and once they move out of it, they don't regain the health anymore until they move back, and the opponent has the chance to run in and steal the Aqua Ring for itself. (This was my personal favourite option.)
[/list]

Oh, oh, I like this one! It sounds like you can do a lot of fun flavorful things with it. Flavor is always delicious.

I think most people preferred the multiplicative bonus the first time this got brought up as well, so in the interest of making people's Archen usable as soon as possible I'm just going to go ahead and change it. If you want to say something in favour of the additive bonuses, though, feel free! (And if this boost turns out to be too powerful, we'll revisit this topic.)

Ahhh before you do that, can you change the percentages to:

1.25x when health above 50%
0.8x when health below 50%

The math is prettier this way (since 1.25 * 0.8 = 1).

...to be fair, it doesn't really make that much of a difference.

Ahhh before you do that, can you change the percentages to:

1.25x when health above 50%
0.8x when health below 50%

The math is prettier this way (since 1.25 * 0.8 = 1).

...to be fair, it doesn't really make that much of a difference.

Yeah, the thing is that damage rounds down in ASB, so it ends up being more of a net negative that way. That's why we changed it from 1.2×/0.8× to 1.2×/0.9×, and it probably would've been the same for 1.25×/0.8× since it's only a very slight boost.

Alternatively, it could be possible to disrupt it like leech seed or ingrain... It could be boiled away, frozen in place, absorbed by grass-type attacks, electrified, polluted, etc. It's a simple veil of refreshing water, corrupting it in any fashion seems feasible.

I've always considered Aqua Ring possible to tamper with. It's just water, really, I mean it's ~special magical Pokemon healing water~ but that doesn't make it not water. If Leech Seeds can be burned off I don't see why Aqua Rings can't be evaporated, frozen, sucked up by a Cotton Spore, you just hafta get creative

Gyro Ball is, uh, much weaker in ASB than its in-game counterpart. (Also, for some reason it uses base speeds instead of actual speeds...? I'm pretty sure that's not how it works in the games.) Can we just make it work more on a scale like Electro Ball?

Gyro Ball is, uh, much weaker in ASB than its in-game counterpart. (Also, for some reason it uses base speeds instead of actual speeds...? I'm pretty sure that's not how it works in the games.) Can we just make it work more on a scale like Electro Ball?

Good with me...

So, it's already been brought up a number of times that Contrary is currently fubroken in ASB and needs to be balanced, since the longer term of the battles makes it really easy to spam a move that drops the user's own stats in order to set up for free while dealing massive damage, and there's very little in the games that will lower the stats of a Contrary Pokémon, so the opponent can't even curb the strategy in many ways beyond a Haze or Psych Up (and it's all too possible for the latter to backfire or not do enough to actually solve the problem).

This is direly needing a fix and I'd like to hear if anyone has a particular nerf in mind that they think would help. The ones I've seen or thought of so far are causing Contrary's effects to cost energy as they're activated, and/or make the stat changes brought about by Contrary temporary in nature and less lengthy than a regular stat change (it might even work to make it so the Contrarified stat change actually reverses into what it'd normally be once the time is up -- like, a 3+ to both defences from a lot of Close Combating would become an usual 3- once the duration is up). Any further ideas, suggestions, tweaks or support would be vastly appreciated.

So, it's already been brought up a number of times that Contrary is currently fubroken in ASB and needs to be balanced, since the longer term of the battles makes it really easy to spam a move that drops the user's own stats in order to set up for free while dealing massive damage, and there's very little in the games that will lower the stats of a Contrary Pokémon, so the opponent can't even curb the strategy in many ways beyond a Haze or Psych Up (and it's all too possible for the latter to backfire or not do enough to actually solve the problem).

This is direly needing a fix and I'd like to hear if anyone has a particular nerf in mind that they think would help. The ones I've seen or thought of so far are causing Contrary's effects to cost energy as they're activated, and/or make the stat changes brought about by Contrary temporary in nature and less lengthy than a regular stat change (it might even work to make it so the Contrarified stat change actually reverses into what it'd normally be once the time is up -- like, a 3+ to both defences from a lot of Close Combating would become an usual 3- once the duration is up). Any further ideas, suggestions, tweaks or support would be vastly appreciated.

Could we make it so that Contrary is not activated by self-inflicted stat drops, like Defiant or Competitive? The opponent would still have to play around it, yes, but given you know you're dealing with a Contrary pokémon, it's not that hard to just stay away from stat moves.

Could we make it so that Contrary is not activated by self-inflicted stat drops, like Defiant or Competitive? The opponent would still have to play around it, yes, but given you know you're dealing with a Contrary pokémon, it's not that hard to just stay away from stat moves.
Wait, so you don't want Defiant to lower a Contrary Pokémon's attack by two stages?

(if... somehow a Pokémon has both abilities?)

Last edited:
I think he means "so that Contrary, like Defiant or Competitive, is not activated by self-inflicted stat drops". :V

That was my thinking too, such that it still discourages the use of stat-dropping moves on the opponent's part but doesn't allow the Contrary Pokémon to abuse it by spamming Leaf Storm, Superpower et al. (as much as I loved having the swolest Inkay ever in the first round of the tournament)

Back
Top Bottom