• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Most Overrated/Underrated Games Ever

thisssss

while it's got NOTHING on Front Mission 3, or Front Mission Alternative, it's still an awesome game in its own right <3

Oh god, Front Mission 3!! That game was legendary too (and probably the one I was thinking of, I suck with numbered games memory). I really hope the new one coming out is just as good~

Overrated: Erm... I'm blank, can't think of anything anyone's not already said.

Underrated: Final Fantasy IX. I mean, out of the FF series. A lot of the earlier FFs also don't get enough love. (Like FFIV and FFVI! Good ones, good ones. Although I'm not much in love with I or II, to be honest. Haven't played III, so I can't say anything.) But overall, FFIX was my first FF game and I just love it to bits and it always gets shoved by the wayside in comparison to the other more modern (as in, post-FFVII) Final Fantasy games. It had beautiful and wonderful music, and a great story in my opinion. And good characters besides Vivi. (because that's ALWAYS the one out of FFIX who gets the most attention) Like Princess Garnet, I loved her. ATEs were cool too, why didn't they do those for others in the series? Additional scenes? Oh hell yes. And the ability system is simple and easy to learn, no crazy gimmicks or anything like that. Always a plus in my book.

A really overrated game to me is Secret of Mana. I'm not saying it's a bad game, but there are plenty others (even in the same series!) that are loads better. Secret of Mana was their first try, and they did suceed in creating an atmosphere for which the other Mana games followed suit, but the graphics were decent and the mechanics were pretty unpolished; I even like Secret of Evemore better than Mana despite it being on the same engine.

Regarding overrated games, I think there are far too many for me to bother mentioning them.

Underrated? Fur Fighters. Just Fur Fighters. It's a brilliant, brilliant game, yet it has never really made it big and remains almost unheard of.

overrated? holy shit can you say modern warfare 2 (although i admit to finding the campaign to be pretty cool.)

i haven't played black ops myself yet so i can't judge whether or not that one lives up to all the hype surrounding it, but really, a fucking call of duty-themed jeep model released as a promotional tie-in? that's just overblown advertising at its prime

as for underrated... um. all the games i can think of seem to have developed a MASSIVE fanbase online in recent years, like the MOTHER games, so i dunno if they can be counted so much anymore.
minecraft maybe? i dunno, i do hear about it a fair amount and i've even seen kids at my school playing it (although my school does appear to be full of hardcore gamers) so i'm not too sure if it can be considered really underrated.

Last edited:
Overrated: Kinect (can I use that?) The overall Idea is cool but microsoft Dun Goofed

If I can't use kinect then I'll use Halo Reach. Fanboys get the dogs. It was okay, but I seriously expected more from all the hype it was getting. Even when it came out Fanboys were still Jizzing of it. It's not the best game ever.

Underrated: Alan Wake. Great game but nobody really knew about it until a couple months after it came out. Even then I remember nobody really bought it. I don't know why it was amazing.

Tail Concerto, if I may~ It's a little known PSX Adventure/Platformer with adorable characters and fun music mixed together with a corny, but amusing storyline <3

Overrated: I really can't think of any that I've played.

Underrated: I'd say there are quite a few PC Engine games that are underrated. including Star Parodier and the like. Then again, the whole system is underrated, in my opinion.

Really? You say Megaman X is overrated and then proceed to say X7 is UNDERRATED? I'm sorry, but that has to be the worst thing I've ever seen; Megaman X7 was not underrated. The only reason nobody even played that shitty game is because it's an abomination; it only stains the good name of Megaman for the horrid, malignant tumor of a game it is. If you're going to say any Megaman games are underrated, give us an actually good one. X6 and Command Mission both come to mind.

And Metroid Prime 3? Really? That game was hardly overrated; keep in mind that the only people who play Metroid games are Metroid fans. And even then, Corruption gets nowhere near the amount of praise Prime or Echoes get on account of it being easy, and short.

I do agree with you on Megaman games 5 up to 8 though; outside of Megaman 4, Megaman 6, 7 and 8 are probably my favorite classic series games. Megaman 10 is right up there as a favorite too.

Anyways; I can add a couple games here as of the last couple of weeks;

Underrated:
Metroid: Other M
Parasite Eve
Parasite Eve 2
Cross Edge
Bomberman Tournament <-- Just picked this game up for the first time since I first got my Gameboy Advance. I forgot how awesome this game was.
Sengoku Basara 3
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Steel Batallion
Tales of Graces
Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly
Fatal Frame 4
Jumping Flash

Overrated:
God of War 3
Eternal Darkness <-- It was an awesome game, in all honesty. But everything failed to even remotely creep me out. Must be all the Fatal Frame.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 <-- Sorry, but having 240 stars spread out through so many stages, about half of which are irritating does not make a game deserve its praise. It's a fun game, but it would be more fun without the irritating gimmicky stages.

Sorry to offend... I'm not saying X7 is a great game (3D stages really infuriated me to no end, especially when fighting Red), but I thought it was... decent (I liked the music, and some parts where fun for me). And I put Prime 3 up because of all the people I knew praising it like crazy, I didn't really like it much. And with Mega Man X, the music was kick-ass and it was fun to play through, I just never thought it was that great, my favorites were X3, X4, X5 (Guns and Roses references FTW!), and X6 (Besides the terrible story and insane difficulty, I loved the challenge it brought me) were my favorites.

And I agree with Parasite Eve being underrated, I loved it, as well as the sequel. And I got Metroid Other M for Christmas, and it's pretty cool.

Sorry to offend... I'm not saying X7 is a great game (3D stages really infuriated me to no end, especially when fighting Red), but I thought it was... decent (I liked the music, and some parts where fun for me). And I put Prime 3 up because of all the people I knew praising it like crazy, I didn't really like it much. And with Mega Man X, the music was kick-ass and it was fun to play through, I just never thought it was that great, my favorites were X3, X4, X5 (Guns and Roses references FTW!), and X6 (Besides the terrible story and insane difficulty, I loved the challenge it brought me) were my favorites.

And I agree with Parasite Eve being underrated, I loved it, as well as the sequel. And I got Metroid Other M for Christmas, and it's pretty cool.

Eh, well, I came off as an ass for that outburst, and it wasn't right, so my apologies v.v just that having grown up with Megaman and Mega Man X I tend to have strong feelings about particular subjects when it comes to the games; namely how icky the 3D portions were in X7 Dx

X3 and X4 were fantastic though, and it's good to know someone else other than me enjoyed X6 in some way :D

Other M was a blast; great fun, no?

Oh, and adding to the list of underrated games:

Legend of Mana. This game. Just this game
Also Bahamut Lagoon. The game that was originally intended to be Final Fantasy Tactics ended up becoming its own game, and Square hasn't even looked at it since its release D: I mean, Tactics Ogre got a remake so why not give BL some love man :<

In terms of overrated and underrated games...

Overrated:
Mario Kart series. Mario Kart is great for a bit of fun around the house, but it can also be exceedingly frustrating - the computers, for instance, blatantly cheat by speeding up exponentially as they get farther and farther behind you. In terms of multiplayer, it's fun, but even in online mode (only recently introduced in Mario Kart DS) there are still a ton of flaws that prevent the series from living up to its hype in my opinion.

Zelda series: This is my own personal opinion - I can acknowledge the series has nothing wrong with it, but I don't like it personally. I don't particularly like the gameplay.

Underrated:
Disgaea, Phantom Brave, etc. - Other people have covered that, and all I can say is that I agree. Heh.

Eversion: First of all, this game is free. Second of all, it's a love-it-or-hate-it game to an extreme. The game's notable for being a cutesy, sugary Mario-like platformer with a fairly odd plot twist and sometimes very difficult gameplay. Also: "NOT INDICATED FOR CHILDREN OR THOSE OF A NERVOUS DISPOSITION." The game's main gripe is that it's short and has bad graphics, but it will surprise you and it's hard enough to last for a bit anyways. Plus, it still is free.

Excitebots: Trick Racing: An incredibly quirky, strange game where you use robots shaped like insects and other small animals to race while playing football, throwing pies in clown's faces, and playing the tambourine. It doesn't get nearly enough attention or love...

Transformice: Another bizarre game - think multiplayer Lemmings. Once again, it doesn't get nearly enough attention. You're a mouse and have to get to a piece of cheese and bring it back to your mousehole, but you're competing with a bunch of other players, and the levels you're on can kill you easily if you don't know what you're doing. Then there's the Shaman (or two), who can in addition to being helpful summon giant cannonballs and the so-called "anvil god," which basically instantly kills any mice near it. It's a game that actually encourages being a jerk, but somehow it's still incredibly amusing.

Back
Top Bottom