• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Spriter's Club Reborn

This scratch, probably.
lapitung59322.PNG
Lapitung, prevo of Lickitung, obviously.

Can I join? Here's an example of a recent request:
LucarioreposedasCharizard.png

Lucario reposed as Charizard. God, why do I get all the hard requests!!>:(
Anyways, comments and critique, s'il-vous-plait!

Blastoise: Looks pretty good, though I'd say it's a little small. The shading seems right, though.

Yeah, but when you look at other baby pokemon, they are still a bit bigger.
Like Cleffa and Igglybuff.
It could be a little bigger, that's all. Otherwise it's a really awesome sprite. :)

I'm sorry you guys I lied to you ;_;

This is my new best sprite. Finished about... a few hours ago. >:3
map1.png

First map. I think I like it... *squints*

This is my new best sprite. Finished about... a few hours ago. >:3
map1.png

First map. I think I like it... *squints*

Maps are tricky, and since it's your first I can understand how you've got some stuff wrong. But eh, here goes:

My main problem with this is the lack of logical geography. You seemed to have thrown the routes, mountains, and islands any old where. See, the thing about designing a region is that you've gotta make it interesting. Take into account the hypothetical player's experience. You'd want varied terrain: coastal areas, rugged mountain passes, lush forests... and well-placed cities, on rivers and suchlike. It definitely helps to sketch out your region on paper first, and think about major landmarks: what makes your region special?

The other issue is the spriting mechanics. Regions are tricky-- they've got a lot of minutiae that's very hard to convey in text like this. And don't ask me to go over your map with a fine-toothed comb; I read a tutorial when I did mine. Basically, though: you've gotta use the brown for the coast (as you've done for the southeast of the main island) on the entire south side of all the islands. And the light blue border only on the edge of that coast, not randomly dotted around the islands any which way.

Third is a simple, silly thing: you freehanded the blue for the ocean, right? Don't. Use the oval tool; if it's nice and even, nobody will know.

Follow up or at least regard my crit or I will be sad. :<

My main problem with this is the lack of logical geography. You seemed to have thrown the routes, mountains, and islands any old where. See, the thing about designing a region is that you've gotta make it interesting. Take into account the hypothetical player's experience. You'd want varied terrain: coastal areas, rugged mountain passes, lush forests... and well-placed cities, on rivers and suchlike. It definitely helps to sketch out your region on paper first, and think about major landmarks: what makes your region special?

The other issue is the spriting mechanics. Regions are tricky-- they've got a lot of minutiae that's very hard to convey in text like this. And don't ask me to go over your map with a fine-toothed comb; I read a tutorial when I did mine. Basically, though: you've gotta use the brown for the coast (as you've done for the southeast of the main island) on the entire south side of all the islands. And the light blue border only on the edge of that coast, not randomly dotted around the islands any which way.

Third is a simple, silly thing: you freehanded the blue for the ocean, right? Don't. Use the oval tool; if it's nice and even, nobody will know.

Follow up or at least regard my crit or I will be sad. :<

*thumbs up* I will, yes. =3

Back
Top Bottom