• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggestions Rau's Sprites (and videos!)

Re: Alraunne's Actual Gallery

x0ut87.jpg
53mcyo.jpg

2e3ykjc.jpg
2vc96bc.jpg

Sprites of a pair of fakemon FMC made for me~

Coming to an ASB near you!

nevermind that I kind of stole shiny Eevee's color scheme

Unicorn and Cthulhu (which I keep wanting to spell Ktulu, like the Metallica song) I made for an assignment for PK BLUE

fa6dkh.jpg
11vk6bt.jpg

in this game they do battle

OMG Cthulhu!!! I've been wanting to make a splice of him for a while, but never got around to doing it. This one is creepy, in the sense that it is almost exactly how I would have done it. Yours looks great, and that unicorn's not too shabby either. Keep up the good work.

The one reaching over his head? Yeah, I got kind of lazy on that part. I just turned Zapdos's back claw into a thumb and pasted it on. I was in a hurry because PK needed it for a class, like, the next day. xnx I'll probably fix it up sometime.

Now that I have several new sprites since my last posted update...

fo0k08.jpg
2e65wlc.jpg

Splices I did for week 19 of the WSC. The first one is Entei/Raikou/Darkrai and the second one is Uxie/Shaymin/Celebi.

2b749u.jpg
314rq54.jpg

A revamp of Green Venusaur that I've entered in this week's WSC.

Guys, I have a question for you all concerning revamps. Just out of curiosity I actually went to the TCoD website (I have the forums directly bookmarked so I haven't been to the actual site in ages) and reread Butterfree's guide to revamping...

"Revamping is basically the art of taking a sprite from one of the older games and recoloring/shading it to the quality of a post-Advance counterpart."

Is that really all it's supposed to entail? I mean... I try to keep the original pose of whatever I'm revamping but I like to do lots of scratch spriting so it looks more like a current sprite than just in the coloring. I mean, look at this. No amount of reshading is going to make this sprite not look like shit. Not to mention the older sprite is outdated and has design inaccuracies now.
3.png
2b749u.jpg

I'm consciously trying to go above and beyond with my revamps by doing this, but is it trying too hard? Way beyond expectations to the point of doing it wrong? Is it not considered a revamp anymore than a scratch? What do you guys think?

Actually, I think you are doing revamps the right way. Not only does scratch editing make the sprites look more official(since later sprites tend to look more like they are supposed too), but making them larger is also appropriate because, well, you should take advantage of that 80x80 size limit.

I mean, if there's room to improve, why not improve? (incidentally, I was just in the process of doing the same thing with that Venusaur sprite as a request someone made on Pokebeach)

The only thing that bothers me about the Venusaur sprite is the shape of the head. I'm not sure why, but something about it seems off. Perhaps it's just me though.

Not much to comment on Entei/Raikou/Darkrai, since they seem to blend together so well. Same thing with Uxie/Shaymin/Celebi.

Hmm. Is it not wide enough or maybe it's the way his jaw connects to the rest of his head?
Now that I look at it I'm not entirely happy with those, but I'm not going to immediately jump at it and tweak it now that I notice, since I've already entered it and all.

edit: oh by the way, I'm glad the splices blend too. Thank you. :3 I was going for an Arkeis kind of look. What I love best about Arkeis' splices is they're like totally new Pokemon altogether and come together seamlessly. Mine still resemble their bases quite a bit but that's the sort of feel I was trying to get.
If anybody wants to give splice suggestions I'd like to practice pulling this off a lot more, but I can never choose what Pokemon I want to splice. >: there's just so many!

edit again:
14ocgna.jpg
2rgz02b.jpg

Green Koffing is so cute and babyish! I think it's the angle of the face.

2mme0rt.jpg
6s741g.jpg

Gold Seadea is exciting pose

Last edited:
Re: Alraunne's Sprite Thread

hrrrng! more Gold revamps

fdu71z.jpg
2iln51v.jpg

2itotnp.jpg
2v9yfjs.jpg

18bx5e.jpg
wthd3p.jpg

Despite what I said earlier I like revamping GSC stuff because I don't have to redraw it as much and I can pay more attention to the shading. I guess I could've made Nidoqueen bigger but I'm happy with her.

Am I going to have to do recolors or something for this thread to get attention? >:T Like seriously how do these recolor threads keep cropping up? [/rage] Because I could recolor the pants off this town. Or maybe I should do more pixel overs. What's generally liked better, bigger pixel overs or ingame-sprite sized ones? I like doing those but I guess I need to work on my larger-scale shading. Opinions anybody? Splice suggestions would be cool too. I loves me some feedback, really I do.

Haven't done much new lately because I've been busy but I found some old stuff I never got around to uploading.
2q3ns78.jpg

WIP of some kind of fairy dragon fakemon, I think it was. I never could come up with a color scheme or pattern for it but I could see some kind of pink and green thing. I'm not really happy with the design overall, though. This guy is really old, like even older than the Babydrake.

2uj5kq9.jpg

Not really sure where this one was going, but it was some kind of grass type dragonair thingy. Some kind of retype or something.

29bjyti.jpg

Ancient trainer sprite from ages ago, some Cherrim morph twins or something. I think they still hold up pretty well, but their dresses could probably use a little work, and the leg outlines too.

al4w0l.jpg

More recent trainer sprite that I never put in this thread, it's a character I made for some RP that never got started even though like a dozen people signed up for it. It entailed some kind of ceremony where kids would have their hands chopped off and drink Pokemon blood or something and then they'd be part Pokemon... or something. My chick was some middle aged woman who had Kangaskhan blood. ... I think.

My thread is lacking in something that reels in the comments compared to what other threads get. It can't be quantity... Not sure how quality affects this since these are feedback threads, so if they're not the highest quality that's supposed to warrant critique... Is it because I don't update enough? Are my sprites lacking in my thread or is it something about myself or the thread itself?

Last edited:

The shading seems a tad off on the fairy-dragon's head, maybe? The rest look great, though; although the eyes on the Grassonair seem odd.

Am I going to have to do recolors or something for this thread to get attention? >:T Like seriously how do these recolor threads keep cropping up? [/rage] Because I could recolor the pants off this town. Or maybe I should do more pixel overs. What's generally liked better, bigger pixel overs or ingame-sprite sized ones? I like doing those but I guess I need to work on my larger-scale shading. Opinions anybody? Splice suggestions would be cool too. I loves me some feedback, really I do.

My thread is lacking in something that reels in the comments compared to what other threads get. It can't be quantity... Not sure how quality affects this since these are feedback threads, so if they're not the highest quality that's supposed to warrant critique... Is it because I don't update enough? Are my sprites lacking in my thread or is it something about myself or the thread itself?

Tell me about it. I'm in the same hole. I even tried giving my thread a sorta witty title, but people avoid it like a plague.

As for the sprites here, I don't have much to comment on. I like where you were going with that Grass-type Dragonair though. I'd like to see it finished.

Also, totally thought that Kangaskhan lady was a Miltank lady at first.

EDIT: Actually, I like seeing these work-in-progress images. It lets people look at how you work when spriting.

Tell me about it. I'm in the same hole. I even tried giving my thread a sorta witty title, but people avoid it like a plague.

As for the sprites here, I don't have much to comment on. I like where you were going with that Grass-type Dragonair though. I'd like to see it finished.

Also, totally thought that Kangaskhan lady was a Miltank lady at first.

EDIT: Actually, I like seeing these work-in-progress images. It lets people look at how you work when spriting.

Hehe, Miltank? I guess that could work too, with the yellow and pink. The dark hair could even be Miltank's hood thing. also, her big tits They're both really large and mothery Pokemon.

I think I'll make the grass-type Dragonair the... next thing I do after the next thing I planned on doing. I really like the whiskers-coming-out-of-flowers thing I did there. And I'll redo the eyes if they look funny (@Blastoise). I could see that, considering on blue Dragonair the eyes were against a base color that wasn't so bright (I'm guessing the highlight blends in with that yellow, or else hurts to look at that way). I'll redo the leaf fins to make them more interesting, too. Maybe give them teeth or something.

And I'll start saving my WIP sprites more, I suppose. I have a WIP uploaded of the Green Vensaur revamp I did but it's not very interesting...
29x9179.jpg

Just palettes and reference and stuff. The flower spots changed too.

It is hard to get comments, yes. People enter into sprite threads expecting to see sprites, and when they have seen them, they tend to leave.

But don't doubt your spriting capabilities... You're really skilled, really!

Also, about revamps, as long as you can see that they are revamped, they're fine for me.. :D

Uhm, Quaxiatus feathers look a little sharp imo. Your Togekiss' wing outline is a little bulky on the underside. The blue on Froslass/Mamoswine/Lapras' "fins" is kind of invicible against the brown, maybe try another colour, like white..? Baby Kangaskhans head is big, and the jawline has too much black outline and makes it stand out and looks pasted on. :/

But I love your sprites all the same... Especially the Miltank and the Mew pixelovers. Where did you get the original images?

Also, btw, is that VS trainer made from scratch? :o

Congratulations on winning the WSC! :)

It is hard to get comments, yes. People enter into sprite threads expecting to see sprites, and when they have seen them, they tend to leave.

But don't doubt your spriting capabilities... You're really skilled, really!

Aw, thanks! cx

Uhm, Quaxiatus feathers look a little sharp imo. Your Togekiss' wing outline is a little bulky on the underside.

These two are some of my oldest scratches, from around the end of last year. For Quaxiatu I was pretty much just referencing the drawing and not Pokemon wings... They do look pretty ugly when pressed for space like that >:
A lot more things bother me about the alt Togekiss than just the wing... The arms, the shape of the head, the markings... Just about the only thing I'm happy with on that one is the feet. I might redo it sometime though since I kinda like the design I came up with. :B

The blue on Froslass/Mamoswine/Lapras' "fins" is kind of invicible against the brown, maybe try another colour, like white..?

Looking back I probably should have compromised and made the tips of the fins white. I was trying to make them look like a hybrid of flippers and Froslass arms, so that's why I made the tips blue. I probably should've made them the Dewgong-white though... It would look a lot more tasty better that way, I agree.

Baby Kangaskhans head is big, and the jawline has too much black outline and makes it stand out and looks pasted on. :/

Well, it is a baby so the head size was intentional, but now that you mention it I'll go back and see what I can do about how the head attaches to the body. It does have a cheap look to it.

But I love your sprites all the same... Especially the Miltank and the Mew pixelovers. Where did you get the original images?

I'm not sure what the real source is for the Miltank, but I found it in a Smogon thread via google.
miltank.jpg

And the Mew is a pixel over of the illustration from the Expedition set, which is my personal favorite Mew card. :3

Also, btw, is that VS trainer made from scratch? :o

It's actually a splice of several different VS trainer sprites. I used Misty for the base, the left (our right) arm from Blue (or Gary; with the thumb edited to be a fist), the other arm from the male Platinum hero, and the scarf from the female Platinum hero, with other minor edits and shading alterations here and there.

Congratulations on winning the WSC! :)

Thanks again! :3

Aw, thanks! cx
No prob. :3

These two are some of my oldest scratches, from around the end of last year. For Quaxiatu I was pretty much just referencing the drawing and not Pokemon wings... They do look pretty ugly when pressed for space like that >:
A lot more things bother me about the alt Togekiss than just the wing... The arms, the shape of the head, the markings... Just about the only thing I'm happy with on that one is the feet. I might redo it sometime though since I kinda like the design I came up with. :B
So I'm guessing it's the image that had pointy feathers, then. Fair enough.
Well... at least the Togekiss is... cute? :U

Well, it is a baby so the head size was intentional, but now that you mention it I'll go back and see what I can do about how the head attaches to the body. It does have a cheap look to it.
In that case, I'd think the sprite is a little too big. Baby Kanga, being quite a bulky Baby Pokemon and at the same type have a big sprite makes it... look not so baby-like. More like the first in a line of Pseudo-Legendaries, like Larvitar and Gible. I'd try to shrink it a little, maybe around the size of the HGSS Pichu sprite...

AndlookwhatIfound

:O

I'm not sure what the real source is for the Miltank, but I found it in a Smogon thread via google.
miltank.jpg

And the Mew is a pixel over of the illustration from the Expedition set, which is my personal favorite Mew card. :3
Ah, thanks a lot. :3

It's actually a splice of several different VS trainer sprites. I used Misty for the base, the left (our right) arm from Blue (or Gary; with the thumb edited to be a fist), the other arm from the male Platinum hero, and the scarf from the female Platinum hero, with other minor edits and shading alterations here and there.
I thought it was scratched.. It all looks so smooth and blended in and perfect.

Hey, all! If you're interested in watching a spriter at work, then I have some exciting news!

After stumbling upon some old recordings of myself spriting, I have decided to create a new YouTube channel where I'll be uploading videos of my work: ArtsyAlraune!

The channel is debuting with the older, rediscovered recordings, along with an all-new sprite! Click a sprite to view its video:

Re: Alraunne's Sprite Thread (now with video!)

New sprite and video!

Like before, click the sprite to view the video.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom