• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggestions Rau's Sprites (and videos!)

I really love the addition of videos. Just putting that out there~ I'd love to see more!

Anyway, loving that newest sprite. A few nitpicks, though: the left outline of Ivysaur's bulb seems a bit faded - maybe add some black? And I think Ivysaur's backside is too wide - kind of looks like an Ivysaur's equivalent of the splits - so I'd probably suggest bringing the right back leg to the center a bit more.

There's actually very little to critique. :3 Your sprites are amazing.

Thanks! I'm going to try recording each sprite I do, as long as I remember to. x:

Hmm...

Yeah, I was having trouble trying to figure out just how big Ivysaur butts are. :/ None of the backsprites really show it that far down. Does this look less splits-like?

2vs3oro.jpg

I'm seriously looking forward to them videos~ How exactly do you record yourself doing sprites, though?

Yeah, that looks much better. Back views are pretty hard to do, and I think you pulled it off quite well.

I just use the unregistered version of HyperCam 2 to record with. You can select a particular area of your screen and it records everything in that area (like in the Lapras video at one point you see people signing in on Trillian x.x lol). My recording area is so large usually that the watermark isn't that obstructive.

Scratch that, a recording just got ruined because every few seconds it spammed these black flashes that cover up like 80% of what's going on :I I'm going to find another program.

Last edited:
Do you take requests? The fact that you've done those for other ASBers suggests so, but you haven't mentioned it anywhere. See, I'm trying to get these into ASB, but obviously without high-quality images I can't.

Um. If you do take requests:

Awful unshaded thingy by me
Chibbit is, in esscence, a small, white rabbit. It has long fur covering its body, but shorter hair on its head and legs, as a real rabbit would. Its fur is pure white, but it has light blue paws and a light blue patch on its forehead. The insides of its ears and its nose are dark blue. Its eyes are light blue but darker than its paws. When it opens its mouth, it has tiny fangs inside.

Arcowlf is a wolf. It has short white fur, which is longer at its ankles and knees. It has a light blue patch on its forehead and a light blue muzzle. It has dull grey eyes. It has a small, dark blue oval gemstone in the centre of its forehead, the same color as the insides of its ears and its nose. Its paws are light blue but darker than its forehead / muzzle. It has larger fangs than its pre-evolved form.

Icearor is a polar bear. It has medium-length fur. Its muzzle and forehead are light blue, and it also has light blue patches on its shoulder (?) joints. Its paws are light blue but darker than the other blue parts. Its claws are dark blue, darker than its nose. It has red eyes and a dark blue nose, gem in the center of its forehead and insides of its ears. Its claws and fangs are somewhat exaggerated.

And if you don't then sorry for wasting your time.

Get Camstudio. That's all I'm saying.

I just happened to after my other program botched up an entire recording. >:I It seems pretty straight-up-no-bullshit so I'm looking forward to using it.

Do you take requests? The fact that you've done those for other ASBers suggests so, but you haven't mentioned it anywhere. See, I'm trying to get these into ASB, but obviously without high-quality images I can't.

Um. If you do take requests:

(dem polar icemons)

And if you don't then sorry for wasting your time.

Mm, not requests exactly, it's more like favors that I feel like doing because I like spriting other people's stuff. I saw those over in the Dex Registry before I left earlier this week and was planning on trying something with them anyway, honestly. I'll give them a shot, sure. Maybe not the next thing I do (I still have a couple more things on my to-do list), but I plan to soonish. I might take a couple liberties with their design if you don't mind. Nothing major, just adjustments I think might make them more... Pokemon like? I have this weird obsession with making everything as canon-fitting as possible.

Last edited:
I might take a couple liberties with their design if you don't mind. Nothing major, just adjustments I think might make them more... Pokemon like? I have this weird obsession with making everything as canon-fitting as possible.

No, no, you go wild with that. I actually meant to ask if you could do anything to make them more Pokémony but forgot.
(And if you're any good at menu sprites, I'd appreciate those too~ They're hard)

Oh, and is it okay if I edit them slightly if at the end you've misunderstood something about them? Obviously it wouldn't be anything major, just something like... I don't know, the shape of Arcowlf's forehead-patch-thing.

Also, thanks.

Last edited:
Yeah, that'd be fine.

I guess if people are interested I made some menu sprites for some of my fakemon, but I didn't record these.
2im74ua.jpg
2817xgm.jpg
116svom.jpg
raoniu.jpg

And a splice that stupid Hypercam screwed up the recording for...
rr4j1s.jpg

I got some ideas for some more Fakemon at the aquarium I went to this week, so be looking forward to that.~

I recorded this one too, with CamStudio, but the recording was corrupted somehow immediately afterwards and I couldn't import it into any of my movie editors or play it in anything besides VLC (and even then, it was blue)... I wish I knew exactly what caused that so I can prevent it next time I do something somewhat serious like a WSC entry.
wmbhia.jpg

But just to make sure CamStudio isn't retarded I tried a quick splice that wouldn't make me upset either way if the recording corrupted again, and finally got another video to record correctly. >; Click sprite to view!

I feel bad for not updating in a while. No videos >: Sorry guys

10cp2s2.jpg

CamStudio messed up the recording for this one too ffffffuuuu

w6wdig.jpg

Too busy multitasking to bother recording, would've been a pain. New trainer sprite 'cause I've been breeding lots of stuff lately.

The baby Kangaskhan is very well done for such a small sprite, I can't really find anything wrong with it. :J

The trainer sprite is quite well done too, but I have to say the arm holding the pokeball looks a bit awkward. If that arm was holding the egg as well, it might look a tad better.

I watched a couple of your videos, it's always nice to see how other people work. I congratulate you for your patience, becuase I don't have the nerves to do sprites without using layers. You have an interesting way of working with your sprites. C:

Also, I have a little question for you (I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just genuinely curious): why do you still do splices when you obviously have the talent to create very official-looking scratch sprites (I do see that you scratch big parts of your splices, but it still baffles me a bit)?
It just feels weird in my head.

Eh, it's fun to do, mostly. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm a huge fan of the way spriters like Arkeis can make a splice so that it looks like something else entirely and you can barely tell what Pokemon were used. I'm not quite there yet, but a splice is fun to play with, figuring out what elements you can put where, and it involves a bit of scratch editing too, which is always fun. It's kind of like a little bit of everything in one thing, I guess, at least the way I try to go about it. My most recent two splices are pretty elementary, but those I did just to have something to do on camera trying to get my recording program to work (which it still doesn't sometimes for some reason).
In the case of splicing trainers though, it's because I'm not really confident in my abilities to draw/sprite people so I figure I'm probably better off using bits and pieces of official sprites to get the image across for now.

I was really at a loss for the trainer's arm, but both arms holding the egg is what I was planning on originally. I couldn't really find an arm that fit so I just settled for the lass arm holding the ball, which was laziness on my part. If it still looks awkward I guess I could try scratching it. I've never scratched a trainer's bare arm before but I suppose it can't be that hard.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm a fan of your stuff but you do such larger-scale things I'm kind of intimidated. D:;

edit: Now her arm kind of just looks like a noodle and I'm not quite sure what to do with it... Fixed baby Kanga's face a little too.
i2iwzm.jpg

Last edited:
That's a good enough reason for me, I guess I was sort of expecting something like that :P
(I don't do splices anymore because I feel so ashamed; they make me think of my first awful sprite edits ahaha)
If/when I do trainer sprites, I usually heavily reference/steal pieces from official sprites because decent-looking trainer sprites are insanely difficult to make, at least in my opinion.

Large-scale stuff is way easier for me; I hate cramming a crapload of detail into a tiny box C:

The edited arm isn't bad at all, and I think the noodle-ness can be fixed by defining the elbow a bit more (make it a bit sharper basically).
The pose looks so much more natural now. Good job :D

I kinda hate posting with only one sprite again, but I finally got around to fixing that arm:

i2iwzm.jpg
35n969v.jpg

First one is noodly arm and the second one is my attempted fix. I think it makes her arm look kind of fat, but I couldn't really define the elbow much more, eat least by actually editing the elbow...

The arm in the second sprite looks really good to me, and not fat at all. The part of the arm under the elbow is naturally a bit thicker than the rest, so it looks quite normal there.
I don't think you need to edit it any more P:

hnk, finally have another video. The black flickering crap is still going on in this one in a few places, but it not as bad as the other recordings that got messed up and I really need to upload something! clicka to viewa

It's a blue ninja chick and stuff. herp derp

Ehhhh... Never tried them. I've never really needed to make them for anything and they're too tiny to do a whole lot with, but I guess it couldn't be too hard.

Back
Top Bottom