• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

ultraviolet

sorry, i'm never going to stop being mad about it.
Staff member
Pronoun
she/her
Anyone read the trilogy of five? I'm sure at least some of you have seen the movie (they butchered it badly, didn't they?) but has anyone read the books?

I finally got my own copy of the guide for my birthday. ^_^

I have read them all and they get progressively more boring, but the first three parts rule and Fenchurch owns the fourth book, the fifth is kinda zzz.

They butchered the movie except it has Zooey Deschanel.

The books are good.
The movie is OK, it's just a different version of the story (the books and the origional radio series contradict each other as well), It may not be as good as the books, but it's unique. The hitchhiker's series is contradictory, it's part of the nature of it.

I own a battered, second-hand copy of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy omnibus, with all five books in one. It was the one thing that saved me from the brink of madness when I was in Hungary, which was one of the most mindnumbingly dull holidays I have ever gone on.

As much as it pains me to speak a single negative word about the series, I have to concede that the books and the radio series did become a little duller as they went along. Nevertheless, the original radio programmes and the first two or three books remain some of my favourite entertainment.

@Cirrus: You HAVE to try the radio series. It is far from boring. :D

Last edited:
I absolutely adored the first three, and the second two were meh, but ok. Definitely not as good as the first ones. I just re-read the third one recently, actually. Life, the Universe, and Everything. Zaphod is by far the most amazing person in the entire book. I have a copy which includes the first five in the series, and the sixth book on its own. Best part of the second book - Total Perspective Vortex.

The first two books are two of my favourite books ever. The other books aren't so decent though they all have some good bits. The first radio series was brilliant, can't remember the others so much tbh. The movie was a little bit crap but Zooey Deschanel's fit :)

Number two was briliant (as were all of the telephone sanitizers ect)

What sixth book? There's a short story about zaphod, a radio episode set after the end of the last one, and half a dirk gently book that may have become a hitchhiker's book, bu that's it.

The film did kind of... yeah, butcher it a little.

I did like the bit where the aliens were invading the house on the "new Earth", and they shut the garden gate, and the aliens go: "Oh no! The gate is shut! We'll have to go 'round the other waaaaay!!!". I laughed so much...

I agree the last two were like... meh. I think Douglas was trying to put as many of his ideas into the first book as he could, but by the end it was... strained. But Fenchurch rocks. She's my favourite character, apart from the triple-breasted whore of eroticon 6. xD
I haven't seen the TV series or heard the radio series, but my boyfriend has the TV series so if they're any good I might borrow them. I think the only thing they did right in the film was Arthur Dent, Marvin and Trillian (I mean, the turned Ford into a random black guy for crying out loud, not to be racist but that's so not Ford) and Zaphod was just terrible. Although I could have a prejudice towards the movie because it doesn't explain anything really, at least not nearly as much as they do in the book, so if you've never read the series then it doesn't make any sense. :/

Although, if they were going to do it properly it'd have to be at least four hours long. :3

win

read them all, yes, but alas it has been a while

I thought the movie was fine, though, and I don't see any reason why Ford should be any specific race :V Last I heard there are actually black people in the UK!

I don't mind him being black particularly, they just made him a completely different character then what he's described as originally. I feel like instead of quirky and odd they made him the 'token black guy', which is a really weak convention to use in film and something they really shouldn't have done with Ford.

You know, I really have to ask, what with my poor-to-average English...

Is there such a thing as a "trilogy of five"?

No. Trilogy refers to three books/novels/novella/whatever. It's called a Trilogy of Five because three were in the original trilogy, then two were discovered after Douglas Adams died and were published.

...I think. Or it's just Douglas being ridiculous.

...I think. Or it's just Douglas being ridiculous.
Yeah, it's this one. My Hitchhiker's omnibus, which contains all five of them, was published in 1995, predating his death by six years. Furthermore, it even has an introduction written by Adams himself in which he mentions the last two books. x3

Back
Top Bottom