• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

What I was getting at is it's not going to have even lower priority than Focus Punch alone, is it?

Regardless I don't think I'm gonna try it.
It would actually probably take longer than a regular Focus Punch, since there's more to focus on (then again, depending on the referee, Speed order may matter more). Combos don't always meet in the middle.

ETA: You may or may not be able to speed it up slightly by chaining a priority move instead (Bullet Punch comes to mind); the extent of this effect would also hinge heavily on the referee, and would also potentially not be very useful at all.

If a Rhyhorn (or other Pokemon with a similar evolutionary line) battled while holding a protector and fulfilled the experience requirements for Rhydon, would it be able to evolve straight to Rhyperior or would it have to battle as a Rhydon first?

If an emergency ref goes MIA and an emergency emergency ref picks up the battle, how would the end-of-battle ref prize be divided?

Can Pokemon stop nonphysical trapping moves like Fire Spin, or are they out of the Pokemon's control once they've started?

Is movement order determined before the action starts or during the action? For example, if I have Scatterbug (speed: 35) and Ninjask versus Deino (speed: 38) and Munchlax in a double battle, and Ninjask lowers Deino's speed, who moves next?

Roost's description says "Restores 50% of the user's health, and removes its Flying type, if applicable, until the end of the next action" -- should this be "until the end of the user's next action", since presumably it would lift off for that? Can Pokemon be commanded to stay Roosting while performing attacks they would logically be able to do while grounded, or to Roost, perform an attack, and go back to roosting (in a similar vein to Fly)?

How should Natural Gift be reffed right now for Pokemon with signature moves? Is there some way to access Pokemon's signature moves/attributes on the database?

Can users of Magnet Rise control the height that they rise to when ordering the move, or during the move's duration?

Can single-target moves that can be swept around to target all Double Team clones be used in the same way to target multiple opponents?

Can Protect/detect/king's shield, etc. be dropped (to let a certain attack through, or something) and then re-sustained in one action?

I'll have to give some of those time, thought, or checking, but to clear the quicker ones:

If a Rhyhorn (or other Pokemon with a similar evolutionary line) battled while holding a protector and fulfilled the experience requirements for Rhydon, would it be able to evolve straight to Rhyperior or would it have to battle as a Rhydon first?
It would have to fulfill the evolution requirements as a Rhydon.

Is movement order determined before the action starts or during the action? For example, if I have Scatterbug (speed: 35) and Ninjask versus Deino (speed: 38) and Munchlax in a double battle, and Ninjask lowers Deino's speed, who moves next?
In-game, Deino would move first; ref discretion is applicable, however.

How should Natural Gift be reffed right now for Pokemon with signature moves? Is there some way to access Pokemon's signature moves/attributes on the database?
Natural Gift is actually slated to be overhauled to get something much closer to its regular in-game effect. I'm a little surprised it isn't already done, actually.

Can users of Magnet Rise control the height that they rise to when ordering the move, or during the move's duration?
Yes, but to a rather limited extent.

Can single-target moves that can be swept around to target all Double Team clones be used in the same way to target multiple opponents?
Best as I can recall, yes.

Can Protect/detect/king's shield, etc. be dropped (to let a certain attack through, or something) and then re-sustained in one action?
No.

I'll go ahead and answer the questions that MF didn't.

If an emergency ref goes MIA and an emergency emergency ref picks up the battle, how would the end-of-battle ref prize be divided?

The end-of-battle ref prize is equally divided between all of the refs.

Can Pokemon stop nonphysical trapping moves like Fire Spin, or are they out of the Pokemon's control once they've started?

Since the user doesn't continuously feed energy into nonphysical trapping moves (and likely not physical trapping moves, either, though there's more ref discretion wiggle room in that), I don't think the user has direct control over it once it's started?

Roost's description says "Restores 50% of the user's health, and removes its Flying type, if applicable, until the end of the next action" -- should this be "until the end of the user's next action", since presumably it would lift off for that? Can Pokemon be commanded to stay Roosting while performing attacks they would logically be able to do while grounded, or to Roost, perform an attack, and go back to roosting (in a similar vein to Fly)?

I think it should be "until the user's next action", actually, that does make more sense.

As for the "continue to Roost" thing, I imagine you mean continue to lose the Flying-type? In that case, I'm leaning towards no, since just landing on the ground doesn't remove the Flying-type. I think it's the actual roosting and resting to regain HP that removes the Flying-type, so if you move around the ground and do things other than roosting/resting, I think you should have your Flying-type back.

Last edited:
while the asb db is down how can we check on moves that are known by a pokemon ?

veekun ?

serebii ?

bulbapedia ?

smogon ?

some other method ?

This has probably been asked before but I'm incredibly lazy

Are Pokémon allowed to use moves they learn exclusively via events? Such as:

Phanpy with Absorb
Eevee with Growth
Psyduck with Petal Dance

Pokémon can only use the moves that are on their page, but since that's down for the time being, my intuition says that they probably can't use event-only moves, no.

Event moves are going to be available soon — they're not useable right now, but they were legal in the old league, and gathering an up-to-date list of event moves to add to the db is on my to-do list.

I'd also like to clarify that if you use other Pokédexes, you do so at your own risk — I'm not sure how trustworthy other sites' OR/AS data is, and the Database is the final word on what a Pokémon can use. It'll be back up before the end of the day. (I got my hands on an Omega Ruby ROM and ripped OR/AS data directly into the Database, for the record.)

(EDIT: Zekrom posted while I was posting but I'm going to leave that question to MF.)

Last edited:
if sleep talk is used would explosion be possibly be a random move used while its asleep ?

I believe there's precedent for it (I can't find it, but I'm almost positive there was a Pokemon that rolled Selfdestruct), and Explosion/Selfdestruct aren't listed on Bulbapedia as ever having been un-Metronomable, so yes

EDIT: sorry, thought I read Metronome, but it's not listed as being un-Sleep Talkable either, so I think still yes

I definitely reffed a metronome battle that ended in some glorious fireworks, yeah. (...now I want to go read it again. I should find it.)

Explosion is a valid sleep talk choice in the games—generally, the only moves that aren't are multi-turn moves and other "calling" moves like assist—and so as it stands I don't see why it technically wouldn't be a thing that could happen here. That said, given the discussion on changing sleep talk that was happening in the ASB Meta forum, if it changes it may end up being less likely to be called (i.e., if sleep talk is changed to only pull from already-used moves, well... you can't really have "already used" explosion and still be around to use sleep talk, can you?).

The ASB staff never really weighed in on that discussion, though, so for now I'd just assume it's a possible outcome of any sleep talk use, and be willing to take that risk if the thing you want to sleep talk with is capable of going boom.

if a ref has a test battle will it continue if the opponent is not with the forum anymore ?

Example: someone vs mai ( a ref that's doing the ref test battle ) ?

however mai might be away for good ( will the ref still need to ref the round or can it be called due to no opponent ? )

It's really up to the ref. I'd really say that if it's a test battle, the ref should ref the round, as it's good practice. Mai might then be DQ'd, in which case Gevaisa can start again with another ref, or someone might take over in Mai's place.

Back
Top Bottom