• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

If you were an admin here...

I'd remove those messages to tell me that I've been gone for two weeks because they make me feel bad. :(

But I think the forum is pretty good as it is.

I'd reinstate making people prove they are mature enough to access Coughing Cupboard and Debating boards.

Possibly find a way to hide postcounts, and ranks would be out. That way we can judge a person by the content of their posts, not a number next to their name.

Revise the bumping rule a little.

How can you prove that someone's mature enough for the Coughing Cupboard or Debating Hall? man it would be so much easier if there was just something like "don't kick people out of it if they flame or something; just ban people who show they can't handle the ~immense responsibility~ of ... being responsible enough to avoid flame wars"

Ranks bug me a little so I adblocked the rank images and keep a usertitle set. :( Unfortunately, that doesn't stop it from taking up a line.

Why does the bumping rule exist, anyway? It only covers things that fit under spam; it is entirely redundant.

I've seen a few posts where people make a big deal out of them. EeveeSkitty posted something along those lines, I know that....

I don't really think post count should have anything to do with anything, even if it's just a little image below the user title. It doesn't help that I tend to dislike unnecessary images anyway.

But the unnecessary images love you, surskitty!

Why do you just leave them hanging like that!? Adblocking them... gosh.

I know, I know. I'm so cruel, so cruel~~ They may never forgive me ... or forget me.

Sometimes I wish I had a lawyer so I could get a restraining order, but then I remember that lawyers cost money, and I like my money where it is: in my pocket.

I suppose you could always just throw the lawyer at the screen. No cost! As long as they die horribly and don't have any relatives looking for them.

If I were admin I'd remove all the rules and replace it with only one:

Don't be an asshat.

This would stop needing to look up any specific rules to see if anyone has broken them. If Asshattery has occurred, it would be up to the moderator who found the Asshattery to point out the thread to the other mods and decide between them how many infraction points should be 'awarded' for it, or if a ban would be more appropriate.

It'd certainly keep members on their toes.

Edit: is it merely my imagination running wild, or do most of the threads here devolve into off-topicness with startling regularity?

That's a bit awkward to implement, though! Happily, there's already a "Don't be an asshat" rule here; unhappily, people complain whenever it's used, which is really quite sad as it's rare that the "don't be an asshat" rule is called into play for anything less than a hell of a lot of asshattery. Typically, enough people are friends with the asshats in question that it never actually gets used, given that TCoD rules frequently end up as "who is loudest"....

Yes, but sometimes they're still able to go back on topic.

I see. It would probably have been a hell of a lot easier if the forum had started out with the single rule of 'Don't be an Asshat', rather than any number of specific regulations to govern behaviour. If it had simply added 'definitions' to the Asshat rule, as well as a disclaimer that asshattery was not limited to those definitions, it'd certainly be easier to implement.

It is certainly a pity that the loudest whiners get their way regarding banning and infractions. Whiners, whingers and drama queens shouldn't have the final word on what happens in a forum, since it is usually to the detriment of the community as a whole. Unless the majority of the members here fall under one, or more, of those categories.

Infractions aren't usually reversed; bannings aren't, either. But it's not that common for someone to be banned for ban evasion, and usually things Butterfree doesn't really care about happen in whatever way satisfies either the most people or the loudest. :/

Back
Top Bottom