• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Things not to say in the Debating Hall

Any thing that contains "proof" that is based on something found in a religous book/thing of that nature.

What?
There's nothing wrong with biblequotes, as long as the argument isn't essentially 'goddidit'.

This (that, <username>) is stupid.

Nothing that is stupid needs pointing out, because everyone will know.

Btw, Time Psyduck, please line up the thoughts in your head correctly before posting them, or you will merely contradict yourself as in the example on the previous page.

That reminds me!

someone else said:
someone said:
post that illustrates some opinion half decently
this

'This' isn't debating! 'This' is people being too lazy to type out what they think. It contributes absolutely nothing to the discussion.

'This' isn't debating! 'This' is people being too lazy to type out what they think. It contributes absolutely nothing to the discussion.

'This' is a non-serious livejournal term that means someone agrees with the original poster. However, I agree that it does nothing to add to the conversation, and doesn't belong in a serious debate.

That said, I haven't really seen many 'serious' debates around here. There aren't any rules about posting sources of information to back up your claims, nor are there rules regarding 'useless' debates. Useless debates, in this case, meaning those religious and political matters which never reach a conclusion and turn into merry-go-rounds with no point.

They're interesting the first time around, I'll grant you, but after the ninth time of arguing the same thing they become dull and predictable.

I didn't think 'this' was an LJ term particularly, I've seen it pretty much everywhere on the web.

The debates here aren't really structured debates as such - generally it's so people can argue their opinions fairly easily. There are (unspoken) rules about backing up your claims with information - generally if you call something out or quote something and not back it up people will whine at you until you do so.

I hardly think that a debate that comes to no conclusion is a 'useless debate'; debates about most things don't come to conclusions. Just because people are debating doesn't mean their views will somehow change. It's a forum after all, and forums are for discussion. If people here were really deadset on changing people's opinions, they sure as hell wouldn't do it on TCoD because it's not really taken seriously enough.

I really don't see how a discussion with no conclusion is a discussion wasted, but fair point on it getting dull after a while.

I always thought 'this' was endemic only to Fark.com. The people who post 'this' tend to be just ralliers who are happy to have someone steal their thunder. Then again, the definition of 'spam' there is less broad.

Back
Top Bottom