• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Beauty queen snubs same-sex marriage, then gets flamed

Ether's Bane

future Singaporean
Pronoun
he
Come on now, this is incredibly old.

That's no reason as to why we can't discuss it.

I don't think Perez Hilton's reaction was called for. She did say she was raised to think that way, and seems just like she's a bit ignorant rather than being deliberately malicious. Of course I don't agree with her in any way and think she's rather dumb, but I don't think calling her a bitch or cunt was called for...

I do think Perez had a point (she should have said something a lot more politically correct) but he did really go over the top. What a drama llama.

(she should have said something a lot more politically correct)
no no NO.

jesus guys.

if you're going to be homophobic, at least be honest about it. don't just hide under lies and euphemisms.

i hate political correctness almost as much as i hate discrimination.

er political correctness is okay only overly zealous political correctness is bad.
i mean i'm kind of glad people can't go around shouting NIGGERSSSS

i don't think political correctness is good. sure, people have the right not to be abused, but tbh i prefer a policy of "if someone insults you, insult them right back". if someone calls you a nigger, just call them a ginger twat. or ignore them, if that's what you feel like doing. freedom of speech should have no restrictions; as soon as you try to apply controls, you're going down a slippery slope.

i dunno. i somehow find the idea of an overt, open racist (sexist, homophobe, etc.) more palatable than a covert, slimy racist who hides his prejudice with words. at least then, you know who you're dealing with. :P

'eye for an eye' works terribly.

and yeah everyone should be free to say whatever they want but i don't see the problem in discouraging this behaviour.

'eye for an eye' works terribly.
in most cases, yeah. like, the legal system and whatnot.

but when it's just people chatting shit, to use the colloquial term, then growing balls and either responding in turn or just ignoring them is the best course of action, as opposed to getting the law involved.

i suppose that political correctness' faults have been trumped up somewhat by the more reactionary press and exploited by... unsavoury types. but it still has a lot to answer for.

Guys, Perez Hilton is a /gossip blogger/. If you're genuinely offended by what he said grow a pair. He's deliberately doing it to offend.

no no NO.

jesus guys.

if you're going to be homophobic, at least be honest about it. don't just hide under lies and euphemisms.

i hate political correctness almost as much as i hate discrimination.

I understand, but she was going for Miss America. Most of that show is lies anyway, and the question wasn't even about her views on samesex marriage, but that's what she took it as.

Hilton went too far; Miss America is a beauty pageant, not a political debate. He should've left his questions out of it.

celebrities
who cares

To be fair, what celebrities and people in the media say can have a huge impact on public opinion.

What I think is pretty cool is that, after this, Miley Cyrus posted on her blog or Twitter or something about how she thinks gays are (something to the effect of) "God's children, too". It might sound stupid, but half the female population under the age of 14 think that girl walks on water, so having someone with such a massive influence standing up to ignorant comments like Miss Whateverstate's is pretty awesome.

Back
Top Bottom