• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

HP7 Part I

Annoyed by some guy right behind us who hadn't seen any of the other movies and then complained that he didn't understand what was going on. Well fucking duh! Jesus Christ, they didn't even refer to some characters by name. I think they mentioned Umbridge's name all of one time! You don't start watching a franchise with the penultimate film. What a moron.

This. So much. I got back from it around half an hour ago, and these two idiots behind me ruined the entire thing. Nobody asks "What's a Muggle?" at the seventh film.

I personally found it the most accurate of all the movies. The way everything was portrayed was so amazing, it kept me jittery and restless the entire film.
Maybe it's just me, but I found the beginning rather off. I was actually rather looking forward to Dudley actually showing some brother-cousinly feelings towards Harry! :o but the movie? They pack a bag on the car and leave.
Holy crap, Nagini. I fell out of my seat. xD
The part where Bellatrix tortures Hermione was really...deep. It was well drawn-out, and very, very bone-chilling. In fact, in general Bellatrix's played out very well, just the amount of insanity to it.
Another thing that irked me a bit was the lack of the Invisibility Cloak. They didn't even mention it after the story of the three brothers (which was really creative and had just that amount of story show-and-tell tone to it) when it's going to end up so important to Harry's collecting of the Deathly Hallows.
What I found the most sad was Harry going to visit his parents' graves. The graffiti at his house should've been put in and the Potterwatch as well, but overall it was very brilliant. Best HP movie so far, it kept the people in my thearter unsure what to expect, but laughing at the dry humor anyways.

Also agreeing with the NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH! thing.

I just got back from seeing it. A lot of people here have touched on the things that irk me.

SPOILERS PROBABLY READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

This most of all (but this one also applies to most of the films too):
People will hate me for this. I'm not a huge fan of the Trio. Especially in the films, where they have so many utterly amazing veteran actors playing characters I adore, I sort of wish we didn't have to spend quite so much time watching these not-as-capable teenage actors play very whiny and occasionally unlikable kids - I want to see the grown-ups being cool and awesome as the supporting cast that really make the series. And, despite the things I said I loved above... I didn't dig watching three angst-ridden kids sitting in a tent for half the film.

I started off liking the trio, but slowly but surely I started to dislike them one by one. The only (non-adult) character who I think is actually acted well is Luna. (And Fred and George but they're not in it nearly enough D:).
Also, hardly related to the acting or anything, but it really really annoys me how most boys at my school and from other forums I go on drool over Emma Watson so much.

A personal thing, but some of the camera work irritated me.

The part you mentioned with the spinning camera didn't bother me, but there were some parts where it seemed like the camera was shaking way too much. I was thinking to myself "This isn't Cloverfield!".

I'm not sure where I stand with Hedwig. I liked how she was actually out of her cage, but I did like the whole thing with Stan WhatsHisFace from the book. I felt sadder when she died in the film than in the book, even though they seemed to just forget about it right after it happened. For me it was the saddest bit in the film. Yes, sadder than Dobby. People are going to hate me for this but I didn't find his death sad at all. I mean the way he said "Harry Potter" before he died was so cliché. It's used in loads of other films I've seen and I never get it. Do people somehow know that they only have enough time to say two more words before they die and so say the name of whoever's holding them? At least make it sound like he intended to say something else but then died before he did. ANYWAY I complain about too many things that are unimportant.

Same with how they track down people who say 'Voldemort'; it was something actually ingenious, and these little things did wonders for the smothering atmosphere of real threat looming over the whole book. (I'm guessing the revelation about the Voldemort thing will be in the next movie, since they did take care to have Hermione say "Voldemort" in the diner, but I was a bit sad not to see it in this one.)[/spoiler]

Also this. I don't get the feeling they're going to mention that in the next one. They were obviously thinking about when they did the diner and got Xenophilius to say it, but it doesn't seem like they're going to explain it.
Also when they disapperated away from his house (which looked nothing like a Castle/Rook, might I add) how were the snatchers there?

Also also, there are some things from the books that they include but manage to make feel like filler. The bit with Bathilda, for example.
I did like the way they did the Hermione torturing but I wasn't too sure what exactly it was that Bellatrix was doing at first, I was wondering "is she a vampire?".

Hermione wasn't nearly angry enough with Ron. I guess that might just be Emma Watson, though.

Also, I thought that the animated sequence with the Tale of the Three Brothers was pretty cool. At first I was kind of like "...What?" but then the whole stylistic-ness of it grew on me, and I was almost kind of sad when it ended.
I didn't really have time to think about that since I was trying too hard to ignore my friends' immature laughter at "Where's my wand?" "Never mind why he has my wand!"

Anyway there were things I did like!

A lot of the motorcycle chase. Mainly due to the fact that I like things that will probably appear on the news but we don't see it. That being loads of car crashes, a pylon falling over and
bike.png

(but in London with a motorbike)

Oh and Luna saying that Harry didn't want to talk to them but being too polite to say so.

Oh oh and the little bits of anti-muggle propaganda they had laying around.

Last edited:
Finally got around to seeing it yesterday with some cousins and my brother (who had already seen it but was up for going again). It was good! Most of my opinions are in line with things already discussed here (including a slight preference for the original Deadwig and Dobby's death being really cliché--though it was still sad! How can you not be sad after they took away someone who had just proved to be so deliciously kickass?). I didn't dislike the Trio's acting at all, though I agree that they can't hold a candle to the veteran actors; I also found the Angst in a Tent more bearable because at least there was less of it than there was in the book.

One thing that did kind of bother me and my mom was that they never included an explanation of why
Harry's wand was able to repel Snakey Lucius's wand. Sure, Moldy did go into detail about why his own wand wouldn't work, but why Lucius's failed and thus why he needed the Elder Wand (and, in fact, why such a drastic step up from a normal wand was necessary in the first place) was never touched on, unless I'm misremembering it--all I recall is Moldy yelling at Ollivander, but that was pretty vague iirc.
Pretty minor, and actually I didn't notice it until she brought it up, but now that and a few other little things keep niggling at me. Oh, well.

NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH AAAA PLZ

AND AS THAT IS HAPPENING IT NEEDS TO LOOK EXACTLY LIKE THIS (don't click if you don't want spoilers; the tag won't hide links) aaah makani

Last edited:
Spoilers!

I went to see the midnight premire of this movie Thursday night, and again that Saturday, and again last night.

Awesome.

It took me two viewing to stop squealing over it an actually start analyzing it. I still must say that it was pretty great, especially for Warner Brother's standards. The actors put their heart and soul into this movie, and it shows.

Personally, I didn't like the fact that Hedwig die in the way she did. I think if J.K. Rowling wanted her to die heroically, she would have made her. Hedwig was suppossed to die pathicaly. I think it was a frigid reminder that Harry's childhood is over now.

Plus, an owl dying to save its owner just seems incredibly fake to me.

I liked when the camera spun around Hermione in the Snatcher scene. It added to the suspense and plus it showed Hermione which is always awesome. I will say that it seemed a bit Twilight-esque, but it worked well for me.

I also adored the scene where Hermione erased her parents memories. It was so utterly heartwrenching. I'm happy they picked that up from the book and expanded on it; it was a great emotional impact.

I also liked when they infiltrated the ministry. It was sort of horrifying. They finnaly got back at Umbridge, which was wicked, and wgere Ron is kisding that woman and everyone's all 'wtf'. However, in the elavator when they were talking to each other, their voices disn't really match up with the words they were saying, which bugged me way more than it should have.

And everyone always tells me that the Dobby scene is so dreadful, but I disagree. It seemed overly dramatic and the only cool part about it was that Bealtix threw the knife. Of course, I never really liked Dobby that much anyway.

Not the best ending. It wasn't really suspenseful, and it didn't really seem like such a big deal Voldemort got the wand. But hey. The movie was still awesomeand I can't wait for the next part.

Not the best ending. It wasn't really suspenseful, and it didn't really seem like such a big deal Voldemort got the wand.

Eh? Lightning came down from the sky as he cackled maniacally with the wand in his hand, standing at the tomb of one of his greatest enemies. o.o I thought it was pulled off pretty well!

The Dobby scene, to me, was horribly, horribly Narmy, but in such a heartwrenching way that made me feel bad for finding it Narmy. It was odd.

Rewatched it with Grabby last week and picked up on a couple of things I didn't notice before - I'm now more sure that, when they have to apparate away with Dobby at the end, that Ron says they should go to Teignmouth (apparently other people hear it as 'Tinworth', but until I see it with subtitles, I won't believe it).

Also, I FINALLY recognised the guy that Ron polyjuices into in the Ministry Infiltration scene as Dave Coaches from Gavin and Stacey, and it meant I was giggling through the entire thing, much to the annoyance of everyone around me.

I love all the Dobby and Hedwig love, but we also need a mention of the greatness that is Mad-Eye Moody, who was one of my favourites in the book, and I adore Brendan Gleeson (watch the film In Bruges; it's about Moody and Voldemort hanging out in Belguim being hitmen), and I'm really glad he got to be fantastic before he died; "Yeah, he's bleedin' gorgeous" <3

This is definitely so far my favourite Harry Potter adaption. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing this again in cinemas.

The only problems seem to be the fact the movie can't help but feel like a prelude to the finale. The fact the next part is 8 months aways is annoying :(

However, it was just so intense and wonderful. Some moments were really hilarious though (Ministry of Magic part, anyone?), while most of the times things felt funnier then they probably were. The bits they changed in the movie really worked well, as well, though like Teh Ebil Snorlax said, that scene kind of really changes your impression of Grindelwald.

Plus, Hedwig's death was so much better, as well as being a better way to find out which was the real Harry than "Oh, he Expelliarmus'd, that's him!" As with a certain house elf's death scene, it was weird. It was very emotional, but something about Dobby's CGI looked really odd and narmy at the same time.

Oh, and "You're lying Dolores. And you must not tell lies," was epic.

One thing that has confused me with one of the trailers how it seems to show off the first major climax of the finale as the very first part of the trailer ._. I still maintain however that this movie only feels like a prelude to a finale, though it's not like they really had a choice as to where to end, sort of like Half Blood Prince (although that was intentional).

Back
Top Bottom