• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Suggestion Box

Yup, though that's still a long way off, of course. The "preorder" thread will go up once the games are released in Japan.

The best way to learn about reffing is to read Negrek's energy and damage guide (though I guess you might want to wait on that, seeing as she's planning on revamping it soon) and to just observe the way other referees work. I was planning on writing a reffing guide since another project I'm working on will definitely need one anyway, but that's kind of been shoved to the backburner and won't be done anytime soon. (There is also the reffing scale on my website, but if Negrek's guide wasn't what you were looking for then this probably isn't enough either.) Observation should give you enough information for now, anyway.

As for RNGs, you can just Google "random number generator" or "dice roller" or similar and take your pick of what comes up. I think most people use random.org; I prefer this one myself. Or whatever else you find works best for you after a quick search.

EDIT: ninja'd, but. yes.

So, this might be a bit of a silly suggestion to some, but it's been an idea bugging the back of my mind for awhile. Could we perhaps have the option to specify a Pokémon's romantic preferences in relation to moves affected by gender without using up a signature attribute? It always kind of bothered me how.. well, how Attract works in general, but that Pokémon only show a single alignment ever, sans one case of the aforementioned attribute.
Basically, if you have a male Poké who's gay, attract would only work from other males. It wouldn't be the other way around though, a gay male 'mon couldn't woo a straight male 'mon, but a straight male 'mon could woo a gay male 'mon. Then, have Asexual as an option to just disable attract to and from all together.
...I know it's a slight, silly sort of thing, but hey, all inclusive right? :B Plus, some of my team, canonically (which is to say in my head) aren't straight, so yeah, it goes a long way to their overall individuality. It could go through approval in the registration office, if need be, the stop someone from saying EVERYONE'S ACE NO ATTRACT EVER.

...but that's... not really... the point.. :'/
Besides that kind of goes against the beliefs of the entire board in a few ways. Well maybe not exactly but herk. Besides it not like it's gamebreaking.

I'm by no means against this change (except that it would headshot a half-formed idea for a buneary sig I have) but I was just exploring the idea that maybe Attract is 'forces foe into devotion to pokemon of opposite gender' and not 'forces foe into devotion to their preferred gender'. It may very well not be, I was only thinking out loud to people on the internet about imaginary aminals.

I'm sure we've all been there.

Last edited:
So, this might be a bit of a silly suggestion to some, but it's been an idea bugging the back of my mind for awhile. Could we perhaps have the option to specify a Pokémon's romantic preferences in relation to moves affected by gender without using up a signature attribute? It always kind of bothered me how.. well, how Attract works in general, but that Pokémon only show a single alignment ever, sans one case of the aforementioned attribute.
Basically, if you have a male Poké who's gay, attract would only work from other males. It wouldn't be the other way around though, a gay male 'mon couldn't woo a straight male 'mon, but a straight male 'mon could woo a gay male 'mon. Then, have Asexual as an option to just disable attract to and from all together.
...I know it's a slight, silly sort of thing, but hey, all inclusive right? :B Plus, some of my team, canonically (which is to say in my head) aren't straight, so yeah, it goes a long way to their overall individuality. It could go through approval in the registration office, if need be, the stop someone from saying EVERYONE'S ACE NO ATTRACT EVER.

I'd support this idea in it's entirety.

I'm by no means against this change (except that it would headshot a half-formed idea for a buneary sig I have) but I was just exploring the idea that maybe Attract is 'forces foe into devotion to pokemon of opposite gender' and not 'forces foe into devotion to their preferred gender'. It may very well not be, I was only thinking out loud to people on the internet about imaginary aminals.

I'm sure we've all been there.

Well, yes.. but.. well it just sort of bothers me the idea Pokémon can alter eachother's sexualities, that's some.. unfortunate connotations.
(also you could alter your attribute to have /other/ effects with that aspect freed up ;3c *SHOT*)

I am also all for this, just trying to work out the kinks early on. I understand how that idea would be a bit bristly for people in general, but I felt it should at least be said as an idea.

(It was basically going to play off of the stereotype that HEY YOU GUIYS ALL LOPUNNY ARE HAWT CHEERLEEDER CHIX, RITE? and that my hypothetical male Lopunny would embrace this in order to either trick opponents into thinking he was female to either attract them or prevent Attract from working on him. It could still work, now that you mention it, though!)

BUT WOULDN'T ASEXUALITY MAKE THEM UNABLE TO USE ATTRACT AS WELL? Wait, no, same problem. Hmm.

But then any rational being would make their pokemon ace.

Well, some people may like the move.. whether that's rational or not is up to debate. Myself, I just want the added customisation, since it kind of is an important factor in my personal opinion. I can think of one 'mon in my party who would actually be ace, and that's with disliking the move. If people want to powergame and ace their whole party.. well, whatever, they don't get access to it either then.
There's also the option of asexual not being an option but.. that seems unfair.

Uh, you can still use attract if your pokemon is ace. Just like a gay person can pretend/manipulate a straight person into falling in love with them. Not that complicated.

Then, have Asexual as an option to just disable attract to and from all together.

Except.. I sort of specified that /wasn't/ possible, it would obviously be the only balanced way to do it, and I still don't think it's broken - it just means.. Attract doesn't work, in either direction. I don't know from experience, but whereas someone who's gay is still interested in romance and grasps the concept as a whole, someone who's ace just.. doesn't care about it, might find it unsettling, what have you. Correct me if I'm wrong of course, because I'm a hormonal pansexual, but at very least it's a counterbalance to that particular loophole.

I'm ace but could very easily pretend to seduce someone if I thought it would make it easier to punch them in the face. It would be very uncomfortable, sure, but then I imagine plenty of things in Pokémon are.

I understand that just shutting attract off entirely for an ace pokémon would serve more as a balance than anything else, but... yeah, just being asexual would not by default prevent them from using it. Anyone can lie. Hell, I'm pretty sure the entire point of attract is to lie, even if you're talking straight male pokémon/straight female pokémon. Otherwise the user of attract would automatically end up attracted right back. Or am I misunderstanding something?

Except.. I sort of specified that /wasn't/ possible, it would obviously be the only balanced way to do it, and I still don't think it's broken - it just means.. Attract doesn't work, in either direction. I don't know from experience, but whereas someone who's gay is still interested in romance and grasps the concept as a whole, someone who's ace just.. doesn't care about it, might find it unsettling, what have you. Correct me if I'm wrong of course, because I'm a hormonal pansexual, but at very least it's a counterbalance to that particular loophole.

Uh what that is utter ridiculousness. It's not like our brains are wired to not understand sexuality. I understand it just fine. I just don't feel it. I really don't get what it is you're missing.

The point is that attract is acting. Faking it. I could easily manipulate someone into falling in love with me if I was in a fight with them and thought it would help me win. (Well, easily if I thought they could fall in love with me, but my point is the moral and squicky quandaries.)

Uh what that is utter ridiculousness. It's not like our brains are wired to not understand sexuality. I understand it just fine. I just don't feel it. I really don't get what it is you're missing.

The point is that attract is acting. Faking it. I could easily manipulate someone into falling in love with me if I was in a fight with them and thought it would help me win. (Well, easily if I thought they could fall in love with me, but my point is the moral and squicky quandaries.)

...You're right, I don't get what I'm missing either. l: You're acting as if I've attacked your preferences, but I'm not - I just honestly don't know, and I can't pretend to, so I'm asking, and trying to figure how to work a suitable middle ground for the idea I've put out. Honestly, this 'argument' feels pulled out of nowhere, I don't even know where you're getting the claim that you're 'wired to not understand' because that's far from what I said. Acting, in general though, tends to be more fluid when one has feeling for what they're acting - and if someone is more inclined to seek romantic relations, wouldn't it make sense they might have more feeling in that particular strain of 'acting'? See what I'm getting at? In all, I just want to work out something inclusive, and why I've asked for opinions.

Why talk about what people can and can't do, when the discussion is whether a Pokémon could or couldn't?

Personally, I see little reason to implement that, seeing as it hardly makes a difference -- it's a whole system around one move (and one ability, but nobody mentioned that yet). And if sexuality is enough of an issue to warrant this change, then we might as well knock binary gender off and let people have Pokémon who identify as a gender other than their biological gender. Not saying the idea is ridiculous, of course.

Why talk about what people can and can't do, when the discussion is whether a Pokémon could or couldn't?

Personally, I see little reason to implement that, seeing as it hardly makes a difference -- it's a whole system around one move (and one ability, but nobody mentioned that yet). And if sexuality is enough of an issue to warrant this change, then we might as well knock binary gender off and let people have Pokémon who identify as a gender other than their biological gender. Not saying the idea is ridiculous, of course.

Well, that would depend on your interpretation of pokémon intelligence. Running under the assumption that they're just about at human level, then they should be entirely capable of it if a human is. Not running under that assumption, well. That in particular seems more like it'd be up to the interpretation of the individual ref in any given situation, actually.

Also, for what it's worth, some people do have pokémon that identify as a gender other than their biological sex, though it's usually in the case of genderless pokémon and no one's bothered trying to actually tweak attract and cute charm's behavior with those little footnotes.

Back
Top Bottom