• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

I'd say randomised commands are fine. The result isn't expected to be optimal so the pokemon would still be subpar at battling on its own. There probably should be limits, like the more moves it has to choose from, the longer the pokemon hesitates (effectively dropping speed that action) or has a chance of failing to do anything; that's just to discourage making things annoying for the ref, who'd have to do the legwork of finding all the fire moves and randomising from that, or whatever.

I like to have something that's effectively "do nothing" if the pokemon is prevented from using its move because it still makes the attempt but fails, and it's not hurting itself just because it can't do a thing, but I guess struggle is an okay alternative there. But it only shouldn't take up a command slot if it's doing struggle on its own.

I'm about to tackle the backlog of tournament prize Pokémon, but first I want to bring up the 1 exp again.

Several people said they want to treat their consolation Pokémon as being the Pokémon they rented, and speaking as a tournament loser, that totally makes sense to me. MF said that wouldn't make sense with Sylveon/Eevee, but Flareth gave her free Eevee the same gender and nickname as her rental Sylveon anyway. Besides, it's not like ASB Pokémon follow causality all that strictly, what with battles taking place at the same time and all.

Even if someone does want to pick a different gender/ability, I don't see the problem with that! Think of it as a retcon. Or if they really do want a separate Pokémon of the same species... they've still more or less earned the right to that 1 exp on that Pokémon, so I still don't see any reason not to.

In conclusion: please please pleeeeease, MF? :D

Last edited:
Tempting as it is, EXP is a little valuable to be a first-round consolation prize -- anyone who's eliminated before Rare Candies start being awarded has essentially missed out on a much better reward that they could have gotten by losing faster. That doesn't make a lot of sense. Hell, awarding the rental Pokémon per se has already curtailed a good amount of sense in this regard, particularly in that sometimes this has entailed a free rarity-eight Pokémon (although at least all the folks who were assigned to starters won, heheh).

It's not really a consolation prize, though; under normal circumstances (ie. people use their own Pokemon), it's an /expected/ prize. The reason we use rentals in tourneys is to even the playing field in the first round or two, but the battlers are still expending the effort to do battle. (in normal battles with rentals we shouldn't give EXP, though, because people choose to do rentals and probably choose their rental Pokemon. But in this case people were forced to do rentals, so snatching EXP from them because of the tourney's conditions seems rather unfair)

Why does it seem like most refs want to ref 1 vs 1 battle than a 3 vs 3 battle ?

Example: Grass King's 1 vs 1 compared to the 3 vs 3 metronome battle

Last edited:
Why does it seem like most refs want to ref 1 vs 1 battle than a 3 vs 3 battle ?

'Cause it's three times harder to ref a 3vs3, at the very least. And, it would be even harder than that because so many pokemon running around at once, so many calculations and things.

Zekrom probably is referring to 3v3 singles. They're not really harder to ref, they just take longer so they're more of an investment. The thing is that refs are also lazy and want to make a quick buck, and also finishing a battle feels more like an accomplishment than finishing a third of one. So if you want to get a ref quickly, use simpler arenas/rules, bans on healing, higher damage caps, singles rather than doubles or triples, and fewer total pokemon.

Triples are more than three times harder to ref than a 1v1 generally, but the main thing is that it's more daunting to put effort into a single hard thing than it is for lots of easy things, even if they come out to the same at the end.

I would imagine that a longer battle would be more of a commitment for a ref, wouldn't it, and we shouldn't impose too much on then, should we?

Are 3v3 single [rotatation] Metronome battles easy enough like 1 vs 1 single battles ?

Since only metronome is the only move that is allowed during orders

example:

Trainer 1: metronome
Trainer 2: metronome

Ref

Trainer 2:
Trainer 1:

Ref

Etc

Last edited:
Zekrom probably is referring to 3v3 singles. They're not really harder to ref, they just take longer so they're more of an investment. The thing is that refs are also lazy and want to make a quick buck, and also finishing a battle feels more like an accomplishment than finishing a third of one. So if you want to get a ref quickly, use simpler arenas/rules, bans on healing, higher damage caps, singles rather than doubles or triples, and fewer total pokemon.

Triples are more than three times harder to ref than a 1v1 generally, but the main thing is that it's more daunting to put effort into a single hard thing than it is for lots of easy things, even if they come out to the same at the end.

triples are hell to ref, especially when not vanilla

but you make so much money

You'd make as much money from three rounds of singles battles though. So if you don't want to put in a lot of effort at once, not worth it. I'd not go above doubles, myself.

Metronome battles are fun to ref because you get to describe destruction and stuff, but they don't "count" as battles, not even for sendout exp, so basically it's just the ref getting money. It's standard to do 1v1 though. Rotation battles are more like 3v3 singles with all pokemon known beforehand though, aren't they? Even triples are okay with metronome because usually someone explodes early or something, but it's more about the entertainment than the ease there.

Another question about pledges. In-game, when two pokémon use pledge moves, only the second to move actually executes the move. Is it the same in ASB, or do both moves get executed successfully with the second carrying along the special effect? The wording is a little unclear.

Another question about pledges. In-game, when two pokémon use pledge moves, only the second to move actually executes the move. Is it the same in ASB, or do both moves get executed successfully with the second carrying along the special effect? The wording is a little unclear.

Considering that the combined move has double the power, I think only the second to move actually executes the move. I'll go ahead and edit it to make it clearer.

I have a question of my own. Adaptability increases energy costs of moves outside the Pokemon's typing by 1.2x. Does that also count for non-damaging moves? Personally I'd lean towards yes, since the extra STAB is really quite powerful, so with it you don't really have much of a reason to use damaging moves outside your STAB, and that would make the drawback pretty much moot. What do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom