• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Ideas for pixeling without a computer?

Spoon

Pronoun
she
I like to sprite/pixel, however I mainly use my Wii to access the internet, because the laptop is usually in use by another member of my family. I've found a few options besides that, like Hama beads and using the draw feature on my calculator, but I was wondering if there's otherways to have pixel-style art without a computer? Any help would be much appreciated.

(I'm not quite sure if this is the proper place to put this.)

I don't know if this is like what you're thinking of, but I sometimes create little pixel art like things by filling in the squares on graph paper.

I don't know if this is like what you're thinking of, but I sometimes create little pixel art like things by filling in the squares on graph paper.

Yeah, that's the kind of art I'm trying to make. Graph paper sounds like a good option, actually, though I'll have to find something that has a bit smaller boxes than what my graph paper has. Thank you. <3~

How about cross stitch? It's all done in little squares, though you might have some trouble finding different coloured threads if you wanted to do proper shading and suchlike. You could use what you make as little badges too, to put on bags or clothes or whatever.

Last edited:
Melty beads! You know, those little beads you put on a pegboard, then iron them under wax paper to create a little design. They come in a bunch of colors, and I have a few connectable square boards so I can create larger designs.

If you're willing to drop some money, try Pixelblocks. I've heard they're extremely addictive, unfortunately I didn't get any for my birthday this year...

well A. you could boy another laptop:sweatdrop: or B. use pearler beads. u know those plastic things you use to make stuff with? you use an ironer on it and they become sprites (:3) hope this helps!

well A. you could buy another laptop:sweatdrop: or B. use pearler beads. u know those plastic things you use to make stuff with? you use an ironer on it and they become sprites (:3) hope this helps!

Those "melting plastic bead things" you keen contributors keep bringing up are actually the hama beads that the original post mentioned, just so you know. (: They are great budget pixel-imitators though, so it's a good idea even if Spoon knew about it already.

More on topic, sky's the limit I guess -- there are some really nice drawing apps you can download for your DS, (if you have one) though the only one I can think of right now isn't pixelly at all. I also cannot remember the name of it. However, you can't really download and use them unless you have a DS card slot/microSD card converter kind of thing (such as an R4) and those seem to be black market material. Actually I might be breaking a forum rule talking about them! OOPS! Er, there's also Drawn to Life, a little dated by now and in my opinion not a great game, but lets you make pixelly stuff ingame and on the title screen. ...Probably a waste to purchase for just that purpose ):

Cross-stitch is a good call, I had a miniature sewing basket gifted to me at one point for that purpose, and it's very portable (and squishy!) and was able to hold all the materials I needed.

Maybe you should try and piece together a scrap computer? If you just want to create simple pixel art, sprite editing and the like, even a completely obsolete computer could run Microsoft Paint and an internet browser. It'd be really cheap, but the technical know-how is another matter. ): Back when I was working on sprites for a friend's game, while they were coding on their supermachine I got to use a computer about 15 years old! Paint works brilliantly! (and the interface is pretty much exactly the same as in windows XP...)

Kinova, I've seen some pixel-esque stuff done that way. It seems like an interesting method. My mom has some spare thread, so I'll have to experiment with that at some point.

MM, I have a small pack of hama beads, well, an off brand at home. They work pretty well, but the peg board that you can use has its pegs in a zigzag pattern so it isn't easier to convert it into a sprite. I'll have to find a better pegboard.

On the otherhand, Pixelbeads sound like a wonderful option. I mentioned them to my parents for gift ideas, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks so much for that idea.

ultimatedarkness, while another laptop would be a great option for pixeling, it's too expense for my budget. On the other hand, pearler beads might just work great for what I'm looking for. Thanks for your suggestions.

Furiianda, I happen to have Drawn to Life and its sequel. Unforunately, my DSi is being worked on, so I can't use your wondrous suggestions at the moment. I'm sure they'll be quite helpful once it's returned.

A scrap computer would work very well, but I very much lack the techinal know-how to piece it together.

Karkat Vantas, thanks for that link. :D

Back
Top Bottom