• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

D/P/Pt Contest Help?

The Darksmith Legacy

Sorry I was gone, I got lost in the vortex again..
I have never gotten into contests when I first played the game but now i'm trying and failed, a few times actually, I know about poffins and all that but has anyone got any tips that could help me in contests?

Here's one tip: unless the pokemon has a perfect nature and poffin setup, it's near impossible to win a Master Rank. I am serious.

I won a Master Rank contest with a Quirky-natured Pokémon.

I suggest getting certain moves so that you have a strategy. For example, with my Swellow in a Cool Contest, I had Agility, which let me go first next turn, and then Aerial Ace, which works well if it goes first. Try something like that.

1. Make good poffins. Obvious, but stack the Pokemon's strong suit, like Beauty or Smart. You can find this on your Pokemon's stats page.

2. In the dressing segment, put a lot of shit on your Pokemon. No matter how crappy it looks, the more stuff you pile on, the better your score.

3. If dancing isn't your strong suit, then you'll blow hard on the dancing segment. However, if you get a good score on the other parts, then it won't matter.

4. In the moves segment, don't use weak moves. Obvious, but there are some moves that say you can go first the next round or something, but they aren't worth it. Also, don't try using any smart shit, like if the move says you get extra points if you choose a judge that hasn't been called on. Those never work.

In the dressing bit, you know the theme? Pick stuff that goes with it: like if your theme is "the colorful," pile on tons and tons of fluff.

Also, added to what other people said, make really good Poffins, try to get your pokemons contest stat (Based on the kinds of moves and nature) Up completely so the scarf guy in pastoria town will give you a scarf (Which is really annoyingly difficult >:[ to get) Plant lots of good berries!

You can make your own 'combos' with moves that make you go last and then moves that work well if you're last or something like that. Poffins...make good ones like everyone has said.

Also contest Pokemon should be contest only. Tackle is a decent contest move but horrible in battle.

Here's one tip: unless the pokemon has a perfect nature and poffin setup, it's near impossible to win a Master Rank. I am serious.

*Ahem* My Milotic won both cute AND smart, yet has ZERO conditioning in either. All of her points in visual came from Accessories

Alright, what Pokemon are you trying to use? Certain attacks complement each other, so I may be able to give you some recommendations as to what to use

As for the rest:

Visual: It IS possible to win without using a single poffin, but it is difficult. No matter what, though, Sharp and Created are your best bets. Do NOT take on a contest with Johanna without proper preparation. She is fatal in contests. Also, try to get Sharp if going up against Jasmine or Bryant, and Created if going up against Fantina, Marissa, or Elias. Make sure to get scarfs. I'm not entirely sure how they affect contests, but Elias only became a threat to me in contests when I accidentally went into a Tough Contest Master with a Red Scarf on, so *shrugs*.

With Sharp, try these items:

ANY feathers
Narrow, Wide, Blue, and Purple Scales
Silk Veil and Professors Hat

With Created:

ANY Accessories won from a contest
Flag, Old Umbrella, and Coloured Parasol
Candy, Retro Pipe, etc.
In fact, anything man made will do, including coins

If you aren't certain about a created item, then think this:

Would I be able to find this in a store IRL?

If not, then do NOT use it

Dancing:

All I can say is: Practice. Here is a little tip though. Say that | | | | | is the bar that the Jigglypuff dances across. If a move lands like this: (|), then wait until the Jigglypuff JUST lands on the line before pressing the button. If a move lands like this: |O|, then wait until Jigglypuff is at the PEAK of its jump to press the button

This is the hardest part of the contest IMHO, and the only way you will get good enough is through practice

Appeal:

This depends on the Pokemon you're using. In my case, I ALWAYS lose (save for Beauty due to the conditioning required for a Feebas to evolve) if I vary from this strategy (Well, I DID use Recover to win Smart, but only because a Judge's voltage was at 4, so it did the same thing as Ice Beam PLUS gave me the added bonus of 8 extra points):

Psych Up, Ice Beam, Psych Up, Ice Beam

However, this is VERY conditional, and Pinky (who belongs to Casey) and Loony (belongs to Fantina) happen to be experts at wrecking this strategy (it requires you to get the lowest score so that you can go first and use Ice Beam, getting 2 points + 3 more for going first + 4 more due to Psych Up), so carry another conditional attack (such as Recover ^^) and a non conditional attack that always gives you three points as back up. The non conditional move can NEVER be screwed up by opponents or your order, at the cost of a point. Hey, better to get 3 points than 2, right?

Anyways, as for picking a Judge, I try to go Dexter Jordan Dexter Dexter, and that usually works, but some opponents have a nasty habit of ALWAYS choosing the same judge as you, so be wary and if you notice that a certain opponent keeps on doing this, then try switching it up, as it seems to be that they are programmed with specific appeals, and, as such, will always follow one of several set patterns

One last note: Alright, I admit it, Alxprit is right. Without a high conditioning, these contests are nigh on impossible to win. Heck, it took me MONTHS to win Cute Ribbon Master, as I needed the opponents to be right and the theme to also be right. And when they were, I would inexplicably do bad on the dancing part (...The Jigglypuff was once right on the line, and it counted as a miss, when I have gotten goods with less accurate hits x.x), and even if I managed to do well THEN, well, the opponents LOVED to screw with me in the appeal stage (...BTW, do NOT underestimate Nancy and Boo. They may only get 5 points in the visual stage if you have sharp or created as a theme, and they may do average on the dance, but that is what makes them a Lethal Joke Character. They actually beat me, with me going, "...Huh?". x.x If that Gastly wasn't already dead...)

The main problem for me is the visual section. (It was even more impossible back in RSE...) I can put a lot fo accessories, but the other characters just seem to kick me in the shin when it comes to those.

I could use the advice, though. I'm trying to win cool contests with a Sceptile.

Like I said, you need to pay attention to the theme. Try to match up with Fantina and get Created as a theme. Fantina has two different strategies. One of them involves using Focus Energy, Ominous Wind, Focus Energy, and Explosion. That means that, unless you are REALLY unlucky, she will only get 12 points max in the appeal section. Anyways, for created, well, tell me, what accessories have you bought from the flower shop and gotten as prizes?

I have won all the cool accessories from contest besides the Master Rank prize, and I have one of everything from the Flower Shop. (Do you KNOW how hard my pacience was tested for cultivating berries??) I also have a lot of Amity Square walking, although some accessories I don't have yet. Same with massages.

Not excactly a tip for contests, forsay, but I do have a tip on Amity Square.

Turn on yoour step counter when you walk. Every two hundred steps, you get an item.

Back
Top Bottom