• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Your Comfort Song

glitchedgamer

GET EQUIPPED WITH
Do you have a song that you listen to when you're bummed out, angry, or just flat out feel like shit?

For me it's "Return to Serenity" by Testament. The mood of the music and the meaning of the lyrics just seem to suit my various bad moods perfectly. It's not only one of the best metal ballads, but one of the best songs I've heard.

Um. XD "Almateria", the opening from the Tales of Symphonia OVA. It's not even a real language, as far as I know, but something about it is so soothing for me...

"Listen To Your Heart" or anything else that's been in The Mighty Boosh xD. They always make me laugh because of their lyrics or the scene that goes with it.

Do you have a song that you listen to when you're bummed out, angry, or just flat out feel like shit?

For me it's "Return to Serenity" by Testament. The mood of the music and the meaning of the lyrics just seem to suit my various bad moods perfectly. It's not only one of the best metal ballads, but one of the best songs I've heard.

O________________________________________________O

*points to sig*

I LOVE that song to BITS!

Anyway, I'll go with...

...Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden.

I know, it sounds depressing, but the lyrics seem as if the protagonist is crying out for a salvation, a rescue, an escape of some sort. And that's how I tend to feel when I'm really downcast.

On a sidenote, in the last few months, my opinion of Soundgarden has gone from "meh, they're okay" to "OMG FREAKKIN' AWESOME!" Too bad Chris Cornell is a sellout. D:

Missed the Boat by Modest Mouse

Just trust me on this one. I think that it's partly the stanza:

Oh, and I know this of myself:
I'd assume as much for other people.
Oh, and I know this of myself:
We've listened more to life's end gong,
Than the sound of life's sweet bells.

Sometimes, however, it's Beautiful Day by U2, a song about the world being wonderful in spite of everything.

See the world in green and blue,
See China right in front of you.
See the canyons broken by cloud,
See the tuna fleets clearing the sea out.
See the bedouin fires at night,
See the oil fields at first light, and,
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth.
After the flood, all the colors came out.

But at other times it's Imagine because it has such a lovely message...

And Always Look On the Bright Side of Life can always make me laugh.

I have a whole playlist of comfort songs that I play when I'm in a bad mood. With songs including:

"Lead Sails (and a Paper Anchor)" by Atreyu
"My Immortal" by Evanescence
"Blackout" by Muse
"Sing For Absolution" by Muse
"Shadow of the Day" by Linkin Park
"I Don't Love You" by My Chemical Romance
"The Scientist" by Coldplay
"Within Me" by Lacuna Coil

And more. Yes, I love to listen to soft songs when I'm feeling down. Much more useful in those times than "getting my anger out" with screamy and loud songs like many people I know. That's counterproductive to me; it just makes me feel worse.

Another Japanese song, but they're the ones I know the lyrics of xD

Hotaru no Hikari, by Ikimono Gakari (awesome). Just the meanings and the fact that it completely fits is enough. :D

Hematophyte said:
"My Immortal" by Evanescence

That song makes me cry usually. :'(

Used to, when I was angry, I'd blast Holy Wars by Megadeth at full volume. Now I don't really have a song like that.

Usually "He Lives In You" from The Lion King 2. Dunno why. Also any song from this disc called Ka (but with the little mark over the a) by Cirque du Soleil.

Mata Ashita from Ouran High School Host Club used to be this. Until I discovered this version of Koi no Mikuru Densetsu from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, simply because I still imagine the tone-deaf singing over it and it's just hilarious to me x3

Well, pretty much any nice, mellow song will work, but right now I really like to listen to the new credits music to Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It sounds familiar and nostalgic somehow. Am I the only one who thinks it sounds like that pseudo-country-type music?
Also, if someone could find an english translation for this song, that'd be cool. I'm a fail animu fan. Google didn't work. ):

Also, there's Miracles by Jefferson Starship. I love this song. Love it love it love it. It's so... chill. But by the time it's over I feel like flying.

Well...uh, not sure, actually. I'll just be cheap and say Green Greens. Actually, any Kirby song. The vast majority of his music is so upbeat. Sometimes I'll listen to Bad Day if I need something to match my mood.

Now that I think about, any song in general I listen to can also be comfort music. IDK why.

Usually it takes a song to depressurize me when I'm angry and then another to calm me down. First working pair that comes to mind is Point/Counterpoint by Streetlight Manifesto followed by Tom Sawyer by Rush, though there are a billion others.

Pretty much anything works when I'm down, but I always forget to take advantage of that.

If I'm feeling exhausted-type-down, I normally listen to some really upbeat songs from musicals; Out Tonight from Rent, What Is This Feeling/Popular from Wicked, You Can't Stop the Beat from Hairspray all make me want to get up and dance :)

Back
Top Bottom